Safari on Windows

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mark Rae, Jun 11, 2007.

  1. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    Mark Rae, Jun 11, 2007

  2. Mark Rae

    Mythran Guest

    "Mark Rae" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > http://www.apple.com/downloads
    >
    > Beta 3 - seems to work OK on XP - haven't tried on Vista yet...
    >

    > --
    > http://www.markrae.net

    Very first thing I did after I downloaded safari yesterday made a bug rear
    it's ugly head :D I have a multiple monitor system and when I maximize on
    the secondary monitory, Safari maximizes with the left part of the browser
    at the right-most part of the monitor, thereby leaving me with the illusion
    that it crashed (can't see the browser at all)...

    Workaround is to right click on Safari in the application tray, click move,
    and move the browser via the arrow keys...

    Anywho...tough luck for me...I do my development on my primary monitor and
    my testing (asp.net) on my secondary monitor (via the browsers)...bah

    Mythran
    Mythran, Jun 12, 2007

  3. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Mythran" <> wrote in message

    > Very first thing I did after I downloaded safari yesterday made a bug rear
    > it's ugly head :D I have a multiple monitor system and when I maximize on
    > the secondary monitory, Safari maximizes with the left part of the browser
    > at the right-most part of the monitor, thereby leaving me with the
    > illusion that it crashed (can't see the browser at all)...
    >
    > Workaround is to right click on Safari in the application tray, click
    > move, and move the browser via the arrow keys...
    >
    > Anywho...tough luck for me...I do my development on my primary monitor and
    > my testing (asp.net) on my secondary monitor (via the browsers)...bah

    Yep, it's a beta and no mistake... ;-)
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/12/safar_crashing_experience/
    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2191861/first-security-flaw-safari

    It's interesting that Apple are touting this as a serious competitor to
    IE... Good luck to them with that, of course, but the problem I see is that
    they seem to have gone out of their way to make it look like a Mac app, even
    down to the scrollbars and the bottom right-hand corner of the window...

    In my experience, (home) users are really uncomfortable with new products
    which don't look like what they're used to, which is why Microsoft have
    always taken care to allow e.g. new versions of Windows to have the option
    to look like the old version - this allows people to make the transition to
    the new look when they're good and ready...

    I think Apple have seriously misjudged the number of (home) users who will
    want to install a Windows app which looks nothing like a Windows app,
    especially when that app is their web browser...

    Just my twopenceworth...

    --
    http://www.markrae.net
    Mark Rae, Jun 12, 2007
  4. Mark Rae

    Evan M. Guest

    On Jun 12, 12:26 pm, "Mark Rae" <> wrote:
    > "Mythran" <> wrote in message

    > > Very first thing I did after I downloaded safari yesterday made a bug rear
    > > it's ugly head :D I have a multiple monitor system and when I maximize on
    > > the secondary monitory, Safari maximizes with the left part of the browser
    > > at the right-most part of the monitor, thereby leaving me with the
    > > illusion that it crashed (can't see the browser at all)...

    > > Workaround is to right click on Safari in the application tray, click
    > > move, and move the browser via the arrow keys...

    > > Anywho...tough luck for me...I do my development on my primary monitor and
    > > my testing (asp.net) on my secondary monitor (via the browsers)...bah

    > Yep, it's a beta and no mistake... ;-)http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/0...nunet/news/2191861/first-security-flaw-safari
    >
    > It's interesting that Apple are touting this as a serious competitor to
    > IE... Good luck to them with that, of course, but the problem I see is that
    > they seem to have gone out of their way to make it look like a Mac app, even
    > down to the scrollbars and the bottom right-hand corner of the window...
    >
    > In my experience, (home) users are really uncomfortable with new products
    > which don't look like what they're used to, which is why Microsoft have
    > always taken care to allow e.g. new versions of Windows to have the option
    > to look like the old version - this allows people to make the transition to
    > the new look when they're good and ready...
    >
    > I think Apple have seriously misjudged the number of (home) users who will
    > want to install a Windows app which looks nothing like a Windows app,
    > especially when that app is their web browser...
    >
    > Just my twopenceworth...
    >
    > --http://www.markrae.net

    They did the same thing with iTunes. The difference between Safari and
    iTunes is the fact that I "need" iTunes to put songs on my iPod. I
    don't need Safari to do anything. If Apple would just concede a little
    bit and use the standard windowing APIs, things would be a lot better.
    Evan M., Jun 12, 2007