Safari on XP

Dan

Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.

Less than impressed:

http://nrkn.com/temp/safariXp.jpg

Where's all the text gone? In the screenshot I have what I assume to be the
file menu open.

I didn't have *that* problem, but I did experience the browser
crashing or hanging several times over a fairly brief trial of it. I
think they've still got a lot of bugs to work out.

-=rjh=-

Dan said:
I didn't have *that* problem, but I did experience the browser
crashing or hanging several times over a fairly brief trial of it. I
think they've still got a lot of bugs to work out.

I found it unusable here:

Title bar doesn't behave like Windows titlebars do, hence unable to
shade Safari.

Can only resize using lower right corner of window. This is a problem as
the Safari window initialised at more than full screen.

When maximised Safari suppresses the taskbar if you have this set to
autohide.

In XP Tablet Edition, no TIP available for text input. In fact, pretty
well unusable on a tablet PC.

Opened 3 tabs, after about 5 minutes of use it froze.

Looked quite good while it lasted, though; not particularly quick but
worth a look. More choice is good. Maybe the Linux version will be better?

SEOwebMarket.com

Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.

Less than impressed

I figure a few windows users (ie. eBay bidders) are interested in the
twice-as-fast page load speed that Safari boasts over internet
explorer.

http://www.apple.com/safari/

The other big announcement today was 64-bit Mac OS X Leopard releasing
in October (that natively runs windows & vista) will have a new Finder
with a "Cover Flow" view of your files (like iTunes) and a new dock
with icon stacks.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/

WWDC 2007 Keynote Address
http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/d7625zs/event/

Brett
http://seowebmarket.com

Matt Probert

I figure a few windows users (ie. eBay bidders) are interested in the
twice-as-fast page load speed that Safari boasts over internet
explorer.

Didn't see any great improvements. But perhaps pages on my site are
fast rendering anyway?

Other than that, it comes across to me as "just another gui browser".
No need to change.

Matt

--
The Probert Encyclopaedia

Reliable, accountable, data for serious researchers

Understandable and usable information for students

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com

Karl Groves

Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.

Less than impressed:

http://nrkn.com/temp/safariXp.jpg

Where's all the text gone? In the screenshot I have what I assume to
be the file menu open.

AWESUM GUYS!

I just downloaded it, but haven't installed it.
However, this is the second time I've heard someone comment on missing
text.
I'm beginning to think maybe I shouldn't bother until it is out of beta...

--
Karl Groves
http://www.karlcore.com/cms/id/domains-for-sale/

GreyWyvern

And lo, paul watt didst speak in alt.html,alt.www.webmaster,nz.comp:

[snip:Safari on windows]
Just another Browser to test on. Call me lame,

You're lame. [1]
but I'm sticking with IE7

As a designer, you would be wise to use a browser which supports the
latest and greatest web technologies and specifications, so you can learn
them well in advance of IE's slowly increasing support for them. Things
such as SVG, CSS3, and canvas, which are due to radically change the way
the web looks once IE catches up.

Sure you can wait until there is widespread browser support before
learning these things, but by then so many developers will be ahead of
you, you will need to play catch up.

I know how you feel. IE feels nice, and displays pages the way you think
they should be displayed. But its lack of support for new technologies
cripples it as a developer learning tool, if nothing else.

Grey

[1] Don't blame me, you asked for it.

Nik Coughlin

Nik said:
Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.

Less than impressed:

http://nrkn.com/temp/safariXp.jpg

Where's all the text gone? In the screenshot I have what I assume to
be the file menu open.

AWESUM GUYS!

Found at http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=992780&tstart=0

How to make Safari work:
1. Copy the Lucida Grande font files to the \Windows\Fonts directory.
2. Rename the Safari.resources folder to something else.
3. Try to start Safari, get an error message, and dismiss the message.
4. Name Safari.resources back to its original name.
5. Start Safari.

The fonts are in \Program Files\Safari\Safari.resources.

Now that it's working I am a little more impressed :)

Peter Jenkins

Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.

Less than impressed:

http://nrkn.com/temp/safariXp.jpg

Where's all the text gone? In the screenshot I have what I assume to be the
file menu open.

AWESUM GUYS!

I downloaded it last night at home and used it there, worked well -
and on a Windows 2000 machine despite the fact that it is only
supposed to work with XP :)

I'm happy

And it gives me another browser to test in

Regards
Peter Jenkins
see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

Shane

Nik said:
Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.

Less than impressed:

http://nrkn.com/temp/safariXp.jpg

Where's all the text gone? In the screenshot I have what I assume to be
the file menu open.

AWESUM GUYS!

Apparently the big new feature people are raving about is the ability to rip
a tab off an create a new instance of safari with said tab
<troll>
Sounds like a good idea, I cannot wait until IE clones it <g>
</troll>

Chris Hope

Shane said:
Apparently the big new feature people are raving about is the ability
to rip a tab off an create a new instance of safari with said tab
<troll>
Sounds like a good idea, I cannot wait until IE clones it <g>
</troll>

You've been able to do that in Konqueror for quite a while. Is this new
in Safari or has it been around a similar amount of time?

Shane

Chris said:
You've been able to do that in Konqueror for quite a while. Is this new
in Safari or has it been around a similar amount of time?

I never knew that
</my ignorance>

Shane

Chris Hope wrote:

You've been able to do that in Konqueror for quite a while. Is this new
in Safari or has it been around a similar amount of time?

3 seconds after I hit send on my last reply I remember that this effect has
been a feature of Konsole, or xTerm for at least three years (damn its been
a while since I was using slackware :'()

I only mention slackware because that was where I first discovered that
feature of xterm/konsole (and I havent used slack since I got the hang of
Kubuntu)

dorayme

Shane said:
Q: What is the difference between a mathematician and a philosopher?
A: The mathematician only needs paper, pencil, and a trash bin for his
work - the philosopher can do without the trash bin...

.... and the paper and pencil... the Rodin sculpture should give
you the idea...

dorayme

Apparently the big new feature people are raving about is the ability
to rip a tab off an create a new instance of safari with said tab

You've been able to do that in Konqueror for quite a while. Is this new
in Safari or has it been around a similar amount of time?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it must be new.