    Where's all the text gone? In the screenshot I have what I assume to be the
    file menu open.

    AWESUM GUYS!

    Nik Coughlin, Jun 12, 2007

  2. Nik Coughlin

    Dan Guest

    On Jun 11, 7:11 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    > Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.
    >
    > Less than impressed:
    >
    > http://nrkn.com/temp/safariXp.jpg
    >
    > Where's all the text gone? In the screenshot I have what I assume to be the
    > file menu open.

    I didn't have *that* problem, but I did experience the browser
    crashing or hanging several times over a fairly brief trial of it. I
    think they've still got a lot of bugs to work out.

    --
    Dan

    Dan, Jun 12, 2007

  3. Nik Coughlin

    none Guest

    none, Jun 12, 2007
  4. Nik Coughlin

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > On Jun 11, 7:11 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    >> Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.
    >>
    >> Less than impressed:
    >>
    >> http://nrkn.com/temp/safariXp.jpg
    >>
    >> Where's all the text gone? In the screenshot I have what I assume to be the
    >> file menu open.

    > I didn't have *that* problem, but I did experience the browser
    > crashing or hanging several times over a fairly brief trial of it. I
    > think they've still got a lot of bugs to work out.

    I found it unusable here:

    Title bar doesn't behave like Windows titlebars do, hence unable to
    shade Safari.

    Can only resize using lower right corner of window. This is a problem as
    the Safari window initialised at more than full screen.

    When maximised Safari suppresses the taskbar if you have this set to
    autohide.

    In XP Tablet Edition, no TIP available for text input. In fact, pretty
    well unusable on a tablet PC.

    Opened 3 tabs, after about 5 minutes of use it froze.

    Looked quite good while it lasted, though; not particularly quick but
    worth a look. More choice is good. Maybe the Linux version will be better?

    -=rjh=-, Jun 12, 2007
  5. Nik Coughlin

    SAZ Guest

    In article <466dd690$>, says...
    > Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.
    >
    > Less than impressed:
    >
    > http://nrkn.com/temp/safariXp.jpg
    >
    > Where's all the text gone? In the screenshot I have what I assume to be the
    > file menu open.
    >
    > AWESUM GUYS!

    Works perfectly on my XP machine for over an hour now. So far, I like
    it.

    SAZ, Jun 12, 2007
  6. On Jun 11, 6:11 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    > Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.
    >
    > Less than impressed

    I figure a few windows users (ie. eBay bidders) are interested in the
    twice-as-fast page load speed that Safari boasts over internet
    explorer.

    http://www.apple.com/safari/

    The other big announcement today was 64-bit Mac OS X Leopard releasing
    in October (that natively runs windows & vista) will have a new Finder
    with a "Cover Flow" view of your files (like iTunes) and a new dock
    with icon stacks.

    http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/

    WWDC 2007 Keynote Address
    http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/d7625zs/event/

    Brett
    http://seowebmarket.com

    SEOwebMarket.com, Jun 12, 2007
  7. Nik Coughlin

    Matt Probert Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 00:46:31 -0700, "SEOwebMarket.com"
    <> wrote:

    >On Jun 11, 6:11 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    >> Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.
    >>
    >> Less than impressed

    >I figure a few windows users (ie. eBay bidders) are interested in the
    >twice-as-fast page load speed that Safari boasts over internet
    >explorer.

    Didn't see any great improvements. But perhaps pages on my site are
    fast rendering anyway?

    Other than that, it comes across to me as "just another gui browser".
    No need to change.

    Matt

    --
    The Probert Encyclopaedia

    Reliable, accountable, data for serious researchers

    Understandable and usable information for students

    http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com

    Matt Probert, Jun 12, 2007
  8. Nik Coughlin

    Karl Groves Guest

    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in

    > Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.
    >
    > Less than impressed:
    >
    > http://nrkn.com/temp/safariXp.jpg
    >
    > Where's all the text gone? In the screenshot I have what I assume to
    > be the file menu open.
    >
    > AWESUM GUYS!

    I just downloaded it, but haven't installed it.
    However, this is the second time I've heard someone comment on missing
    text.
    I'm beginning to think maybe I shouldn't bother until it is out of beta...

    --
    Karl Groves
    http://www.karlcore.com/cms/id/domains-for-sale/

    Karl Groves, Jun 12, 2007
  9. Nik Coughlin

    paul watt Guest

    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    > Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.
    >
    > Less than impressed:
    >
    > http://nrkn.com/temp/safariXp.jpg
    >
    > Where's all the text gone? In the screenshot I have what I assume to be
    > the file menu open.
    >
    > AWESUM GUYS!

    Just another Browser to test on. Call me lame, but I'm sticking with IE7

    --
    Paul Watt

    http://www.paulwattdesigns.com

    paul watt, Jun 12, 2007
  10. Nik Coughlin

    GreyWyvern Guest

    And lo, paul watt didst speak in alt.html,alt.www.webmaster,nz.comp:

    [snip:Safari on windows]

    > Just another Browser to test on. Call me lame,

    You're lame. [1]

    > but I'm sticking with IE7

    As a designer, you would be wise to use a browser which supports the
    latest and greatest web technologies and specifications, so you can learn
    them well in advance of IE's slowly increasing support for them. Things
    such as SVG, CSS3, and canvas, which are due to radically change the way
    the web looks once IE catches up.

    Sure you can wait until there is widespread browser support before
    learning these things, but by then so many developers will be ahead of
    you, you will need to play catch up.

    I know how you feel. IE feels nice, and displays pages the way you think
    they should be displayed. But its lack of support for new technologies
    cripples it as a developer learning tool, if nothing else.

    Grey

    [1] Don't blame me, you asked for it.

    --
    The technical axiom that nothing is impossible sinisterly implies the
    pitfall corollary that nothing is ridiculous.

    GreyWyvern, Jun 12, 2007
  11. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.
    >
    > Less than impressed:
    >
    > http://nrkn.com/temp/safariXp.jpg
    >
    > Where's all the text gone? In the screenshot I have what I assume to
    > be the file menu open.
    >
    > AWESUM GUYS!

    Found at http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=992780&tstart=0

    How to make Safari work:

    > 1. Copy the Lucida Grande font files to the \Windows\Fonts directory.
    > 2. Rename the Safari.resources folder to something else.
    > 3. Try to start Safari, get an error message, and dismiss the message.
    > 4. Name Safari.resources back to its original name.
    > 5. Start Safari.

    The fonts are in \Program Files\Safari\Safari.resources.

    Now that it's working I am a little more impressed :)

    Nik Coughlin, Jun 13, 2007
  12. On Jun 12, 11:11 am, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    > Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.
    >
    > Less than impressed:
    >
    > http://nrkn.com/temp/safariXp.jpg
    >
    > Where's all the text gone? In the screenshot I have what I assume to be the
    > file menu open.
    >
    > AWESUM GUYS!

    I downloaded it last night at home and used it there, worked well -
    and on a Windows 2000 machine despite the fact that it is only
    supposed to work with XP :)

    I'm happy

    And it gives me another browser to test in

    Regards
    Peter Jenkins
    see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

    Peter Jenkins, Jun 13, 2007
  13. Nik Coughlin

    Neredbojias Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 23:22:08 GMT Nik Coughlin scribed:

    > Found at
    > http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=992780&tstart=0
    >
    > How to make Safari work:
    >
    >> 1. Copy the Lucida Grande font files to the \Windows\Fonts directory.
    >> 2. Rename the Safari.resources folder to something else.
    >> 3. Try to start Safari, get an error message, and dismiss the
    >> message. 4. Name Safari.resources back to its original name.
    >> 5. Start Safari.

    > The fonts are in \Program Files\Safari\Safari.resources.

    Uh, I think I'll wait for the full release version.

    > Now that it's working I am a little more impressed :)

    I was impressed by IE5.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Jun 13, 2007
  14. Nik Coughlin

    Shane Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.
    >
    > Less than impressed:
    >
    > http://nrkn.com/temp/safariXp.jpg
    >
    > Where's all the text gone? In the screenshot I have what I assume to be
    > the file menu open.
    >
    > AWESUM GUYS!

    Apparently the big new feature people are raving about is the ability to rip
    a tab off an create a new instance of safari with said tab
    <troll>
    Sounds like a good idea, I cannot wait until IE clones it <g>
    </troll>
    --
    Q: What is the difference between a mathematician and a philosopher?
    A: The mathematician only needs paper, pencil, and a trash bin for his

    Shane, Jun 13, 2007
  15. Nik Coughlin

    Mutlley Guest

    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    >Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >> Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.
    >>
    >> Less than impressed:
    >>
    >> http://nrkn.com/temp/safariXp.jpg
    >>
    >> Where's all the text gone? In the screenshot I have what I assume to
    >> be the file menu open.
    >>
    >> AWESUM GUYS!

    >Found at http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=992780&tstart=0
    >
    >How to make Safari work:
    >
    >> 1. Copy the Lucida Grande font files to the \Windows\Fonts directory.
    >> 2. Rename the Safari.resources folder to something else.
    >> 3. Try to start Safari, get an error message, and dismiss the message.
    >> 4. Name Safari.resources back to its original name.
    >> 5. Start Safari.

    >The fonts are in \Program Files\Safari\Safari.resources.
    >
    >Now that it's working I am a little more impressed :)

    Well that screwed up my Win2K install. Now there are no fonts.
    Removed them from the winnt\fonts\ uninstalled safari and rebooted
    PC. Reinstalled Safari and screwed . Still no fonts at all.

    Mutlley, Jun 13, 2007
  16. Nik Coughlin

    Chris Hope Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    >> Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.
    >>
    >> Less than impressed:
    >>
    >> http://nrkn.com/temp/safariXp.jpg
    >>
    >> Where's all the text gone? In the screenshot I have what I assume to
    >> be the file menu open.
    >>
    >> AWESUM GUYS!

    > Apparently the big new feature people are raving about is the ability
    > to rip a tab off an create a new instance of safari with said tab
    > <troll>
    > Sounds like a good idea, I cannot wait until IE clones it <g>
    > </troll>

    You've been able to do that in Konqueror for quite a while. Is this new
    in Safari or has it been around a similar amount of time?

    Chris Hope, Jun 13, 2007
  17. Nik Coughlin

    Shane Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:

    > You've been able to do that in Konqueror for quite a while. Is this new
    > in Safari or has it been around a similar amount of time?

    I never knew that
    </my ignorance>
    --
    It is only two weeks into the term that, in a calculus class, a student
    raises his hand and asks: "Will we ever need this stuff in real life?"

    Shane, Jun 13, 2007
  18. Nik Coughlin

    Shane Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:

    > You've been able to do that in Konqueror for quite a while. Is this new
    > in Safari or has it been around a similar amount of time?

    3 seconds after I hit send on my last reply I remember that this effect has
    been a feature of Konsole, or xTerm for at least three years (damn its been
    a while since I was using slackware :'()

    I only mention slackware because that was where I first discovered that
    feature of xterm/konsole (and I havent used slack since I got the hang of
    Kubuntu)

    --
    Q: What is often used by Canadians to help solve certain differential
    equations?

    Shane, Jun 13, 2007
  19. Nik Coughlin

    dorayme Guest

    In article <f4nspj$64m$>,
    Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:

    > Q: What is the difference between a mathematician and a philosopher?
    > A: The mathematician only needs paper, pencil, and a trash bin for his
    > work - the philosopher can do without the trash bin...

    .... and the paper and pencil... the Rodin sculpture should give
    you the idea...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 13, 2007
  20. Nik Coughlin

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Chris Hope <> wrote:

    > > Apparently the big new feature people are raving about is the ability
    > > to rip a tab off an create a new instance of safari with said tab

    > You've been able to do that in Konqueror for quite a while. Is this new
    > in Safari or has it been around a similar amount of time?

    Yes, it must be new.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 13, 2007