    The URL is http://www.vertaal.org/spel/ .

    Thanks!
    Throw aka voetleuce

    Throw, Sep 12, 2005

  2. Throw

    claudel Guest

    In article <>,
    Throw <> wrote:

    >G'day everyone!
    >
    >I have a site (not validated, not strict anything) which works just
    >fine in my browser (Opera for Windows) but a user recently complained
    >that none of the links work in Safari (Mac). If you have Safari, could
    >you please take a look to see if the links work, and if not, can you
    >speculate as to why not?
    >
    >The URL is http://www.vertaal.org/spel/ .
    >
    >Thanks!
    >Throw aka voetleuce

    I'm running the latest Safari and the links following the "URL:"
    appear to be active. I didn't follow each one, but they behave
    as I would expect active links to behave. Are there other links
    that are not next to the "URL:"s?

    The "mailto" link and the jumps at the page bottom appear to be
    active as well.

    Claude

    claudel, Sep 12, 2005

  3. Throw

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Throw quothed:

    > G'day everyone!
    >
    > I have a site (not validated, not strict anything) which works just
    > fine in my browser (Opera for Windows) but a user recently complained
    > that none of the links work in Safari (Mac). If you have Safari, could
    > you please take a look to see if the links work, and if not, can you
    > speculate as to why not?
    >
    > The URL is http://www.vertaal.org/spel/ .
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Throw aka voetleuce

    The markup didn't look too bad. A couple things I saw:

    You might want to put a line like this:

    1">

    in your <head>

    This line:

    <link href="../style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

    -Why the trailing slash?

    Why not "upgrade" to html 4.01?

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Sep 12, 2005
  4. Throw

    Jim Higson Guest

    Throw wrote:

    > G'day everyone!
    >
    > I have a site (not validated, not strict anything) which works just
    > fine in my browser (Opera for Windows) but a user recently complained
    > that none of the links work in Safari (Mac). If you have Safari, could
    > you please take a look to see if the links work, and if not, can you
    > speculate as to why not?

    > The URL is http://www.vertaal.org/spel/ .

    If you want to test for yourself, you could always get the latest Knoppix
    live CD. That has Konqueror which, while not 100% equivalent, will in
    almost all cases render as Safari would (they use pretty much the same
    engine). As it goes, KHTML has more maintainable code, but WebCore has more
    new stuff added, they should both agree on easy stuff like links.

    Jim Higson, Sep 12, 2005
  5. Throw

    Jim Moe Guest

    Throw wrote:
    > G'day everyone!
    >
    > I have a site (not validated, not strict anything) which works just
    > fine in my browser (Opera for Windows) but a user recently complained
    > that none of the links work in Safari (Mac). If you have Safari, could
    > you please take a look to see if the links work, and if not, can you
    > speculate as to why not?

    Possibly they were having a problem with "URL: http://www.spel.co.za/"
    (and others) which shows an URL string, but is not a link. You link on the
    image but that is not at all obvious unless they happen to wave the mouse
    over it.

    --
    jmm dash list (at) sohnen-moe (dot) com
    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    Jim Moe, Sep 12, 2005
  6. Throw

    Dan Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:
    > You might want to put a line like this:

    > 1">
    >
    > in your <head>

    Better to get the server to send a real HTTP header to that effect, for
    which the meta tag is merely an inferior substitute.

    --
    Dan

    Dan, Sep 13, 2005
  7. Throw

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "Dan" <>
    >
    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> You might want to put a line like this:

    >> 1">
    >>
    >> in your <head>

    > Better to get the server to send a real HTTP header to that effect, for
    > which the meta tag is merely an inferior substitute.

    And this is done by ...?

    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 13, 2005
  8. On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, dorayme wrote:

    > > From: "Dan" <>
    > >
    > > Better to get the server to send a real HTTP header to that effect, for
    > > which the meta tag is merely an inferior substitute.

    > And this is done by ...?

    Reading existing postings, FAQs and (gasp) documentation is said to be
    quite efficacious.

    Failing that, http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTTP-charset
    might offer some useful hints.

    Alan J. Flavell, Sep 13, 2005
  9. Throw

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Dan quothed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    > > You might want to put a line like this:

    > > 1">
    > >
    > > in your <head>

    > Better to get the server to send a real HTTP header to that effect, for
    > which the meta tag is merely an inferior substitute.

    Yes, but my thought was that the OP was perhaps having his trouble
    simply because the line was missing under his current configuration.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Sep 13, 2005
  10. Throw

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Alan J. Flavell quothed:

    > On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > > From: "Dan" <>
    > > >
    > > > Better to get the server to send a real HTTP header to that effect, for
    > > > which the meta tag is merely an inferior substitute.

    > > And this is done by ...?

    > Reading existing postings, FAQs and (gasp) documentation is said to be
    > quite efficacious.

    ....And for those of us who are not efficaciously efficient??

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Sep 13, 2005
  11. Throw

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "Alan J. Flavell" <>
    >

    > On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, dorayme wrote:
    >
    >>> From: "Dan" <>
    >>>
    >>> Better to get the server to send a real HTTP header to that effect, for
    >>> which the meta tag is merely an inferior substitute.

    >> And this is done by ...?

    > Reading existing postings, FAQs and (gasp) documentation is said to be
    > quite efficacious.

    Depends.

    > Failing that, http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTTP-charset
    > might offer some useful hints.

    OK... I took a look. I usually just put

    charset=iso-8859-1">

    in the head and no one seems to have had any trouble with my
    websites on this account. But I understand it is not the best.
    So be a sport and just say what else I should do exactly. Put
    what where or do what. If it is "contact the various servers and
    ask them this and that and ..." I will likely have to put it off
    because of work pressures... If it is a matter of putting some
    definite text (somewhere in my html docs) I will do that.

    If anything happens to my sites, if the sites turn up in Chinese
    or if a Russian mafia gang gets upset because of text
    difficulties and sets out to put a contract on my family of my
    cat, I will hold you personally responsible if it is a simple
    matter of me putting a bit of text in the right place. You, Alan
    Flavell, come on: spill the beans!

    I am not immedietely helped by remarks in the reference you give
    such as:

    "It is very important to always label Web documents explicitly.
    HTTP 1.1 says that the default charset is ISO-8859-1. But there
    are too many unlabeled documents in other encodings, so browsers
    use the reader's preferred encoding when there is no explicit
    charset parameter.

    The line in the HTTP header typically looks like this:

    Because what is it I am supposed to do in a concrete manner. I
    know I should know these things by now but I don't and that is
    where you come in... What is the point in me having an indirect
    relationship with you if you don't come good on this stuff? No
    point at all, that's the point. Spill the beans and tell me all
    Alan... :)

    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 16, 2005
  12. On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, dorayme wrote:

    > > From: "Alan J. Flavell" <>
    > >
    > > Failing that, http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTTP-charset
    > > might offer some useful hints.

    > OK... I took a look. I usually just put

    > charset=iso-8859-1">

    Or, presumably, whatever other character encoding scheme (e.g utf-8) one
    is using in one's document...

    > in the head and no one seems to have had any trouble with my
    > websites on this account.

    well, that will indeed achieve the intended result if the server is
    not already sending a contradictory "charset" value on a real HTTP header,
    (something which seems to be happening more often nowadays).

    The real HTTP header is authoritative: you can't override it with
    a "meta", you have to find out how to tame the server.

    > But I understand it is not the best.

    This is also my opinion, although opinions do vary. But one item of the
    underlying theory is fixed, whatever one's opinion: if the server is
    sending out a contradictory HTTP header, then it has to be tamed, no way
    around it.

    If it isn't doing that, then one does still have the option, agreed.

    > So be a sport and just say what else I should do exactly.

    Personally, I'd use AddCharset in a .htaccess file (that's for
    Apache-based servers, of course), just like it said in the cited W3C
    page (I hope you read that far ;-)

    But that depends not only on what server it is, but also what facilities
    it has opened to its document owners. That's why there isn't a single
    correct answer, and that's why I offered a pointer to a whole menagerie of
    possibilities, one or more of which may be open to the questioner.

    What it comes down to is that one has to ask one's server nicely to send
    the appropriate HTTP header, but what "nicely" means depends very much on
    circumstances. Sorry, don't blame me, that's just the way that it is: I
    wasn't deliberately trying to be obscure, even if it looked that way.

    Alan J. Flavell, Sep 16, 2005