Safe e-mail linking

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Darrel Hoffman, Jun 23, 2004.

  1. I'd like to have a link to a contact e-mail on my website, but I've had
    bad experience with doing this before. I was using the following syntax
    before:

    But apparently spambots know how to look for that type of thing, and my
    inbox was soon flooded with enough home mortgage offers and male
    enhancement pill advertising to leave an army in permanent debt and keep
    their wives happy for a full solid year. I'd like to have other
    options. Right now, I have the address listed in pure-text form as an
    ultimate safety precaution, so visitors will just see: "fake AT address
    DOT com", and they'll have to open their e-mail program, copy-paste, and
    then change the "AT" and "DOT" to the appropriate symbols in order to
    contact me. It's better than nothing, I suppose, and better than my
    original thought which was to just put the e-mail address up as a .jpg,
    so the user would have to type it all manually, but I'm worried these
    drastic measures will prevent people from contacting me who might do so
    otherwise. (It's a portfolio site for potential employers.) I could go
    half-way, and just write the e-mail as text only, but without the
    symbol-replacements, like "", but that might be visible
    to spambots as well. The only other option I can think of would be to
    use some sort of 3rd party solution, like making a Flash button with an
    e-mail link built in. (Though I'm somewhat of a novice with Flash -
    Shockwave I could easily do, but that's not a guarantee on most systems,
    and it's definitely a bit extreme for just making an e-mail link...)
    How do other people put working links for e-mail addresses on their
    websites and yet avoid getting buried under a mountain of weight-loss
    advertisements and paypal pyramid schemes?

    (BTW, if somebody actually has an e-mail called "", and
    it's now getting flooded with spam because I just posted it 3 times on
    Usenet, I apologize, but you gotta admit you were asking for it...)

    Darrel Hoffman, Jun 23, 2004

  2. Darrel Hoffman

    Els Guest

    Darrel Hoffman wrote:

    > How do
    > other people put working links for e-mail addresses on
    > their websites and yet avoid getting buried under a
    > mountain of weight-loss advertisements and paypal pyramid
    > schemes?

    So far I've gotten away with . Both in the
    mailto link, and in the visible address. Because mailto doesn't
    always work (some people don't have access to a mailclient and
    use hotmail other webmail) I have a mailform as well.

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Jun 23, 2004

  3. Darrel Hoffman

    RodeL Guest

    "Darrel Hoffman" <> schreef in bericht

    You could try this :

    http://www.mways.co.uk/prog/hidemail.php

    You can put in emailadres or other text and it produces
    either javascript or asciicode.
    You past it into your HTML and that's it.

    Seems to work. I have my mailadres on several sites for some years
    and hardly get any spam.

    Ron

    RodeL, Jun 23, 2004

  4. >From:
    >(Darrel Hoffman)
    >I'd like to have a link to a contact e-mail
    >on my website, but I've had bad
    >experience with doing this before.

    Use a Form Mail script... and use one that allows you to code the addy
    in your source so that it doesn't show... and only shows in the
    script...

    Look for the link for Updated Matt's Scripts here:
    http://davmagic.com/PAGES41.html#misc

    Web Design, Magic, Painting, Junking, More
    http://www.davmagic.com
    Paint A House
    http://www.paintahouse.com
    NOTE: This emailbox is CLOSED do NOT reply!!!

    Davmagic .Com, Jun 23, 2004
  5. Darrel Hoffman

    SlowRyde Guest

    Darrel Hoffman wrote:

    > I'd like to have a link to a contact e-mail on my website, but I've had
    > bad experience with doing this before. I was using the following syntax
    > before:

    > But apparently spambots know how to look for that type of thing, and my
    > inbox was soon flooded with enough home mortgage offers and male
    > enhancement pill advertising to leave an army in permanent debt and keep
    > their wives happy for a full solid year. I'd like to have other
    > options. Right now, I have the address listed in pure-text form as an
    > ultimate safety precaution, so visitors will just see: "fake AT address
    > DOT com", and they'll have to open their e-mail program, copy-paste, and
    > then change the "AT" and "DOT" to the appropriate symbols in order to
    > contact me. It's better than nothing, I suppose, and better than my
    > original thought which was to just put the e-mail address up as a .jpg,
    > so the user would have to type it all manually, but I'm worried these
    > drastic measures will prevent people from contacting me who might do so
    > otherwise. (It's a portfolio site for potential employers.) I could go
    > half-way, and just write the e-mail as text only, but without the
    > symbol-replacements, like "", but that might be visible
    > to spambots as well. The only other option I can think of would be to
    > use some sort of 3rd party solution, like making a Flash button with an
    > e-mail link built in. (Though I'm somewhat of a novice with Flash -
    > Shockwave I could easily do, but that's not a guarantee on most systems,
    > and it's definitely a bit extreme for just making an e-mail link...)
    > How do other people put working links for e-mail addresses on their
    > websites and yet avoid getting buried under a mountain of weight-loss
    > advertisements and paypal pyramid schemes?
    >

    > (BTW, if somebody actually has an e-mail called "", and
    > it's now getting flooded with spam because I just posted it 3 times on
    > Usenet, I apologize, but you gotta admit you were asking for it...)

    I've used this free program for the past two years:
    http://www.codefoot.com/software/ecloaker/index.shtml
    It encodes everything from behind the href=" to the /a. So far, so good :)

    \\// Robert

    SlowRyde, Jun 24, 2004
  6. Darrel Hoffman

    Neal Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:29:49 -0400, Darrel Hoffman <>
    wrote:

    > I'd like to have a link to a contact e-mail on my website, but I've had
    > bad experience with doing this before. I was using the following syntax
    > before:

    > But apparently spambots know how to look for that type of thing, and my
    > inbox was soon flooded with enough home mortgage offers and male
    > enhancement pill advertising to leave an army in permanent debt and keep
    > their wives happy for a full solid year. I'd like to have other
    > options.

    Best solution is a combo of the actual email address messed up with
    characters () and a mail form - I recommend
    FormMail from NMS. http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml

    The reason is mailto links can't always work. It's only good if the user
    has an email client hooked up to the browser, and on other's computers or
    in public places it's not possible. So providing a form means they can
    definitely email you regardless. But also provide the address (as a mailto
    is fine) for those who prefer to use their own client to send the mail.

    Neal, Jun 24, 2004