Safe guard .pyc files

King

After google a lot I didn't find any way to safe guard .pyc files from
decompilation. One way I can think of is to
wrap important functions/classes as a libraby using SWIG/PyRex, but
again is going to be a lot more of work
and doesn't sound good.

any body out there has done something for this?

Fredrik Lundh

King said:
After google a lot I didn't find any way to safe guard .pyc files from
decompilation.

There's no bullet-proof way to do that (the interpreter needs the
bytecodes to be able to run your program, so unless you create your own
Python runtime, someone could always run your program with an
instrumented stock interpreter, and get the code from there. If you
build your own runtime, they'll just instrument your runtime instead,
which might be a little more work, but not much for someone who knows
how to do such things.)

Possible solutions:

- implement portions of your application as a web service

- hardware dongles (hackers can usually get around them without too much
work, but they work pretty well for some applications / markets.)

- use an obfuscator, e.g.

http://bitboost.com/#other or
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~astrand/projects/pyobfuscate/

</F>