    played with?

    TTFN

    Paul
    Paul F. Johnson, Jun 24, 2003

  2. Paul F. Johnson

    rf Guest

    "Paul F. Johnson" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just a seemingly small question : is there an acceptable cut off point on
    > how far a website is degradable to?
    >
    > As it stands, yet another site I'm working on degrades as far down as to
    > CSS support. If you don't have CSS, the site will still work, but looks
    > awful. The JS and Java bits degrade to their plain states.
    >
    > Is there a "safe" level to assume the majority of browsers will be able to
    > cope with using their pre-installed values or even if they have been
    > played with?

    Download a copy of Lynx (text only browser).

    It gives you an idea of what a blind person will hear and what a search
    engine spider will see.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jun 24, 2003

  3. Paul F. Johnson

    Headless Guest

    "Paul F. Johnson" <> wrote:

    >As it stands, yet another site I'm working on degrades as far down as to
    >CSS support. If you don't have CSS, the site will still work, but looks
    >awful.

    Define "awful", a site sans CSS should look very clear,
    information/content only.

    Presentation is by definition 100% optional, if the content isn't 100%
    clear without it then you have used CSS inappropriately (hard to do), or
    more likely your markup is incorrect.

    Headless
    Headless, Jun 24, 2003
  4. Paul F. Johnson

    Andrew Tang Guest

    > Is there a "safe" level to assume the majority of browsers will be able to
    > cope with using their pre-installed values or even if they have been
    > played with?

    One really good place to visit is this site http://www.csszengarden.com/

    When you remove all CSS/images etc... it becomes just plain text as in a
    document. It doesnt look like it was before but it isnt excatly awful, just
    plain. I reckon this is what all sites should be able to degrade to, like a
    text document but thats just me. :)

    Andy
    Andrew Tang, Jun 24, 2003