SAMBA-esque server in java

Aaron Fude

Hi,

I have a database application written in with strictly hierarchical
data and I would like to expose it to the windows platform as if it
were a mountable network drive. Where do I begin finding out how to do
that?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Tom Anderson

I have a database application written in with strictly hierarchical data
and I would like to expose it to the windows platform as if it were a
mountable network drive. Where do I begin finding out how to do that?

There's a thing called FUSE, Filesystem in USErspace, which is a kernel
module which lets userspace programs implement filesystems - the kernel
module talks to the filesystem part of the kernel, and forwards the
requests to registered userspace programs. It was originally a Linux
thing, but has been ported to BSD and MacOS:

http://fuse.sourceforge.net/

and now Windows XP:

http://dokan-dev.net/en/

There's a Java binding for the userspace side:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fuse-j

And one for Windows:

http://yukoba.accelart.jp/2008/05/windows-fuse-dokan-become-open-source.html

Which is similar in intent but completely different in detail.

tom