Samba file access checking?

Jim Ford

I'm checking Samba share files accessed on my Linux machine, using the
output of smbstatus to get the IP addresses of the machines. This seems
to me to be a kludgy way of doing it and the data appears to lag the
actual situation.

Is there a better way of doing this, anyone?

Jim Ford

Joe Smith

Jim said:
I'm checking Samba share files accessed on my Linux machine, using the
output of smbstatus to get the IP addresses of the machines. This seems
to me to be a kludgy way of doing it

What are you trying to accomplish?
*) Get the IP address of a file server
*) Get a list of shares available from file servers
*) Check that a specific share is writable by a particular client
?

Jim Ford

Joe said:
What are you trying to accomplish?
*) Get the IP address of a file server
*) Get a list of shares available from file servers
*) Check that a specific share is writable by a particular client
?

I want to get the IP address of any machine accessing the files on my
samba share. As I mentioned, I can do it by examining the output from
smbstatus, but feel that there must be a better way.

Thanks for the reply!

Jim Ford

Martijn Lievaart

I want to get the IP address of any machine accessing the files on my
samba share. As I mentioned, I can do it by examining the output from
smbstatus, but feel that there must be a better way.

Parse the samba logs. Maybe swatch can help. Otherwise a very simple
perlscript will do the trick.

HTH,
M4

Jim Ford

Martijn said:
Parse the samba logs. Maybe swatch can help. Otherwise a very simple
perlscript will do the trick.

That's what I've been doing so far. I just thought there would be a more
'direct' way of doing it - say through the proc fs (but there doesn't
seem to be anything there an samba).

Thanks for the reply.

Jim Ford