Samba file access checking?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Jim Ford, Apr 27, 2007.

  1. Jim Ford

    Jim Ford Guest

    I'm checking Samba share files accessed on my Linux machine, using the
    output of smbstatus to get the IP addresses of the machines. This seems
    to me to be a kludgy way of doing it and the data appears to lag the
    actual situation.

    Is there a better way of doing this, anyone?

    Jim Ford
     
    Jim Ford, Apr 27, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Jim Ford

    Joe Smith Guest

    Jim Ford wrote:
    > I'm checking Samba share files accessed on my Linux machine, using the
    > output of smbstatus to get the IP addresses of the machines. This seems
    > to me to be a kludgy way of doing it


    What are you trying to accomplish?
    *) Get the IP address of a file server
    *) Get a list of shares available from file servers
    *) Check that a specific share is writable by a particular client
    ?
     
    Joe Smith, Apr 29, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jim Ford

    Jim Ford Guest

    Joe Smith wrote:
    > Jim Ford wrote:
    >> I'm checking Samba share files accessed on my Linux machine, using the
    >> output of smbstatus to get the IP addresses of the machines. This
    >> seems to me to be a kludgy way of doing it

    >
    > What are you trying to accomplish?
    > *) Get the IP address of a file server
    > *) Get a list of shares available from file servers
    > *) Check that a specific share is writable by a particular client
    > ?


    I want to get the IP address of any machine accessing the files on my
    samba share. As I mentioned, I can do it by examining the output from
    smbstatus, but feel that there must be a better way.

    Thanks for the reply!

    Jim Ford
     
    Jim Ford, Apr 29, 2007
    #3
  4. On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 18:45:34 +0000, Jim Ford wrote:

    > I want to get the IP address of any machine accessing the files on my
    > samba share. As I mentioned, I can do it by examining the output from
    > smbstatus, but feel that there must be a better way.


    Parse the samba logs. Maybe swatch can help. Otherwise a very simple
    perlscript will do the trick.

    HTH,
    M4
     
    Martijn Lievaart, Apr 30, 2007
    #4
  5. Jim Ford

    Jim Ford Guest

    Martijn Lievaart wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 18:45:34 +0000, Jim Ford wrote:
    >
    >> I want to get the IP address of any machine accessing the files on my
    >> samba share. As I mentioned, I can do it by examining the output from
    >> smbstatus, but feel that there must be a better way.

    >
    > Parse the samba logs. Maybe swatch can help. Otherwise a very simple
    > perlscript will do the trick.
    >


    That's what I've been doing so far. I just thought there would be a more
    'direct' way of doing it - say through the proc fs (but there doesn't
    seem to be anything there an samba).

    Thanks for the reply.

    Jim Ford
     
    Jim Ford, Apr 30, 2007
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. jon wackley

    iis 5 virtual directory on samba share

    jon wackley, Dec 29, 2003, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,889
    jon wackley
    Dec 30, 2003
  2. Neil Zanella

    ASP.NET service providers using Samba+Unix

    Neil Zanella, Jan 5, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    388
    Brandon Potter
    Jan 6, 2005
  3. Rob@Bedford
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    7,188
    brunasti
    Dec 6, 2007
  4. JC
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    588
    =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Dra=BEen_Gemi=E6?=
    Jun 19, 2006
  5. billbell52
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    113
    Xavier Noria
    Jul 11, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page