same marquee object for IE and netscape.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mr. x, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. Mr. x

    Mr. x Guest

    Hello,
    I have a marquee object.
    I see that it acts differently on IE (6) and on Netscape (7.1)
    In netscape the marquee is centered,
    and on IE it is not centered.
    Also the left position of the marquee is not the same on IE and on netscape.
    Also when mouse is on the marquee text, in IE it is paused, but on Netscape
    it does't.

    What should I do in order that marquee will act the same ?

    Here is my code :

    <head>
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="CONTENT-TYPE" CONTENT="TEXT/HTML; CHARSET=WINDOWS-1255">
    <script src = "../js/marquee.js">
    </script>
    </head>

    <marquee style="font-color: #000000; position:relative; left:0; top:12"
    align="center" width="150" height="380" behavior="scroll" dir="rtl"
    direction="up" loop="-1" scrolldelay="45" SCROLLAMOUNT="1"
    onmouseover = "M_stop()" onmouseout = "M_start()">
    Line one ... <br>
    Line two ... <br>

    // The text of lines is Hebrew - that's why I use "rtl".

    In the marquee.js is the following code :

    <!--
    function M_stop() {
    document.all.tags("marquee").item(0).stop();
    }
    function M_start() {
    document.all.tags("marquee").item(0).start();
    }
    //-->

    Thanks :)

    Mr. x, Nov 28, 2003

  2. Mr. x

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:3fc75387@news.012.net.il>
    Mr. x said:

    > I have a marquee object.

    don't. if you want your visitors to read something put it on the page.

    --
    brucie

    brucie, Nov 28, 2003

  3. Mr. x

    Mr. x Guest

    So, what should I use instead.

    Thanks :)

    Mr. x, Nov 28, 2003
  4. Mr. x

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:3fc75cee$1@news.012.net.il>
    Mr. x said:

    >>> I have a marquee object.

    >> don't. if you want your visitors to read something put it on the page.

    > So, what should I use instead.

    just normal text. people can then easily read it and you don't have to
    worry about support or scroll speed or looking like a newbie.

    please don't toppost

    --
    brucie

    brucie, Nov 28, 2003
  5. Mr. x

    Mr. x Guest

    Thanks,
    but wrong spam answer.
    I need to know using marquee both in IE and in Netscape, please.

    Thanks :)

    Mr. x, Nov 28, 2003
  6. Mr. x <> wrote:
    > Thanks,
    > but wrong spam answer.
    > I need to know using marquee both in IE and in Netscape, please.

    That's the best advice you'll get on this issue, even better than how to
    solve your problem. Just put the text in a <p> or something. Having to wait
    for some obnoxious scrolling box to show the little bit of info is stupid.

    Also, the marquee element was invented (by Microsoft, I think) and it's not
    even part of the HTML specification.
    --
    Michael Wilcox
    mjwilco at yahoo dot com

    Michael Wilcox, Nov 28, 2003
  7. Mr. x

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Mr. x wrote:
    > <toppost> Thanks,
    > but wrong spam answer.
    > I need to know using marquee both in IE and in Netscape, please.
    > Thanks :) </toppost>

    You must be either very stubborn or arrogant. At least three persons have
    asked you to reply correctly and you continue to do so.
    I don't think you deserve our help anymore.
    Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Nov 28, 2003
  8. Mr. x

    Safalra Guest

    "Mr. x" <> wrote in message news:<3fc75387@news.012.net.il>...
    > I have a marquee object.
    > I see that it acts differently on IE (6) and on Netscape (7.1)
    > In netscape the marquee is centered, and on IE it is not centered.
    > Also the left position of the marquee is not the same on IE and on netscape.
    > Also when mouse is on the marquee text, in IE it is paused, but on Netscape
    > it does't.

    These are issues of browser implementation, so you can't do anything
    about it unless...

    > What should I do in order that marquee will act the same ?

    1) If you just want scrolling text, use an animated GIF, *but make
    sure you put the text as alt-text*
    2) If you also want the pausing behaviour, use a java applet, *but
    make sure you put the text as alternative content in the <object> tag*

    Now I've answered your question, I seriously recommend you reconsider
    the use of scrolling text:

    http://www.safalra.com/internet/scrollingtext.html

    --- Stephen Morley ---
    http://www.safalra.com

    Safalra, Nov 28, 2003
  9. Mr. x

    cwdjr Guest

    I have no idea if you want to use the marquee on a business site or a
    personal one. Marquees, flashers, and other dynamic attention getters
    were around many years long before there was a www. Some ad types in
    some companies still think they want them on their pages. If you work
    for such a company, you had best listen to what they want, as there
    are plenty of others to replace you in most parts of the world. Of
    course on a private site you can do anything you wish. If you do want
    some dynamic content, you need to carefully consider who may view your
    pages, and with what browsers. If you are aimed at a general audience,
    you probably need to be certain the page will work as intended if the
    effect is not seen. Thus some might use a large dynamic effect that
    says "Big Sale - Hurry - Ends Soon". However the page should have a
    sale heading that also can be seen if the dynamic effect is missing.
    It is true that marquee is not a standard tag and may not be seen at
    all or incorrectly on some browsers - especially older ones. Today
    there are many other possible dynamic effects to choose from. Flash
    can be fairly easy to use, but the software to produce flash is quite
    expensive. Also some will not have flash installed on their computer
    and will not bother to download it. Then there is dhtml. Over at
    www.dynamicdrive.com you will find many effects for texts under
    "scrollers". Some of these are designed to work on a wide variety of
    browsers, and some give an effect much like an IE marquee. You can
    even move a mixture of images and texts, if you so desire. Of course
    some turn their JS off, so they will not see these dhtml effects that
    highly depend on JS and CSS. In any event, if you use a dynamic effect
    of any type on a commercial page, you need to check the page out on
    several of the most used browsers.

    cwdjr, Nov 28, 2003