Same table, different pages

Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Is it possible to have one table somehow 'called' to appear on different pages?
I want something to appear on all pages, yet only want to (re)edit one item.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org

Rob McAninch

John D. said:
I haven't tried it, but was considering the same thing for a
navigation bar.
http://javascript.internet.com/navigation/easy-multi-page-navig
ation.html I might try this

As the allmyfaqs.com URL states, client support is required for
JavaScript. For primary navigation you should choose a method you
have better control over (e.g. SSI or pre-processing), client
scripting could be useful for a secondary navigation aid such as
a cookie crumb trail.

Perhaps
http://home.earthlink.net/~woogieoogieboogie/cookiecrumbs/

Neal

item.

I haven't tried it, but was considering the same thing for a navigation
bar.
http://javascript.internet.com/navigation/easy-multi-page-navigation.html
I might try this

Javascript isn't wise for navigation, unless there are redundant text
links available.

And using SSI or PHP to include navigation - now I'm not terribly up on
either, but I'm somewhat sure that using these technologies you can only
insert a navigation section which allows all links to be clickable - in
other words, you can't shut off the current page's link, which is
preferrable for usability.

I'd love to be wrong about this, and I'd happily be proven wrong. I
suspect if I am I will be rather shortly! If I could include "smart
navigation" which shuts off the active page's link, I'd get right on that
ASAP myself.

Brian

Neal said:
And using SSI or PHP to include navigation - now I'm not terribly up on
either, but I'm somewhat sure that using these technologies you can only
insert a navigation section which allows all links to be clickable - in
other words, you can't shut off the current page's link, which is
preferrable for usability.

I suspect your right about SSI includes: it merely inserts a file's
contents at some place in the document. (Not having used much SSI, I
cannot be certain of this.)

But this can be done with PHP, which is a full-fledged programming
language. One kludge: declare a variable $current for each page, e.g.,
$current="home". The nav would have an if (!$current == "home")
construct to put a link to the home page, or else put only the text
"home." No doubt someone has thought of something more graceful than
that -- perhaps by querying the request uri or the file name -- which
you'll find by searching the relevant news group's archives.

brucie

in post: <
Neal said:
If I could include "smart navigation" which shuts off the active
page's link,

i'm not sure thats such a good idea. nav needs to be consistent from
page to page so changing it on every page may be a bit
annoying/confusing, you'd have to be careful with the implementation.

also just because they're on the page doesn't mean they no longer want
the link. e.g. right-clicking with some browsers allows a few different
action to perform with the link, you cant do it with a dead link.

Alan J. Flavell

And the cacheability engine says:

This object will be considered stale, because it doesn't have any
freshness information assigned. It doesn't have a validator present.
It doesn't have a Content-Length header present, so it can't be used
in a HTTP/1.0 persistent connection.

If the resource is genuinely dynamic, then that would be fine. But if
building the page dynamically from materials that have not changed, it
would be opportune to at least set an appropriate last-modified date
on the HTTP response.

Brian

Alan said:
If the resource is genuinely dynamic, then that would be fine. But if
building the page dynamically from materials that have not changed, it
would be opportune to at least set an appropriate last-modified date
on the HTTP response.

A good start. But, imho, if you're going to dabble in php (or some other
page that interfere's with caching), you ought to go the full 9 yards
and parse the request headers for if-modified-since and if-none-match,
and return 304 as appropriate.

Neal

in post: <

i'm not sure thats such a good idea. nav needs to be consistent from
page to page so changing it on every page may be a bit
annoying/confusing, you'd have to be careful with the implementation.

The navigation maintains the same basic appearance. All that changes is
the fact that one item - representing the current location - is
highlighted and unlinked. We're not talking about scrambling the eggs. A
uniform appearance to the menu is maintained.
also just because they're on the page doesn't mean they no longer want
the link. e.g. right-clicking with some browsers allows a few different
action to perform with the link, you cant do it with a dead link.

Clicking on a link allows you to:

- follow the link - no need when you're on the page
- add the target to bookmarks, also easy to do when on the page
- save or print the target, also simple to do when on the page
- copy the link address, which is right in the address bar when on the page

What am I missing? What functionality is lost by disabling the link to the
current page?

Toby A Inkster

Neal said:
And using SSI or PHP to include navigation - now I'm not terribly up on
either, but I'm somewhat sure that using these technologies you can only
insert a navigation section which allows all links to be clickable - in
other words, you can't shut off the current page's link, which is
preferrable for usability.

You would have difficulty doing that in SSI, but it's not hard in PHP:

http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/

brucie

in post: <
Clicking on a link allows you to:
- follow the link - no need when you're on the page

you don't know that
- add the target to bookmarks, also easy to do when on the page
- save or print the target, also simple to do when on the page
- copy the link address, which is right in the address bar when on the page

it doesn't matter if the same functionality in available by other means.
it may not be how the visitor is used to doing it but now you've forced
them to use a method other than the one they usually use because you've
second guessed how the visitor uses their browser and killed off the
link.
What am I missing? What functionality is lost by disabling the link to the
current page?

a lot more. it depends on the UA.

Neal

you don't know that

Sure I do. Where else will a navigation link bring you?
it doesn't matter if the same functionality in available by other means.
it may not be how the visitor is used to doing it but now you've forced
them to use a method other than the one they usually use because you've
second guessed how the visitor uses their browser and killed off the
link.

Well, there's the argument that we should not remove functionality, and
there's the argument that we should account for users who don't know jack
shit about their browser or how to use it. Everything I've mentioned is
more logically possible, amd nore likely accomplished, on a current page
than on a link. I can't imagine that too many users have gotten accustomed
to doing things through a link and can't comprehend doing the same exact
things on the current page. In fact, I can't imagine any.

Maybe it's a problem with my imagination. But I think it's rather a
problem with yours.
a lot more. it depends on the UA.

Enlighten me. What else can a right-click on a link do that cannot be
absolutely replicated on a current page??

Mark Tranchant

Dirk said:
Is it possible to have one table somehow 'called' to appear on different
pages?
I want something to appear on all pages, yet only want to (re)edit one
item.

I use PHP for this. The menus at http://tranchant.plus.com/ are
generated with one file per directory, and each "HTML" page calls a menu
function to draw the menus and define which are the active items for
highlighting.

brucie

in post: <
Sure I do.

no you don't.
Where else will a navigation link bring you?

its not all about where a link takes you but what you can do with it.
for example right clicking on the current page link to open it in the
background to keep it for later while you continue to surf the site on
the page already open.
can't imagine that too many users have gotten accustomed to doing
things through a link and can't comprehend doing the same exact
things on the current page. In fact, I can't imagine any.

i don't use the address bar and cant imagine anyone using it to copy the
page address so i'll remove it from all my pages, after all you can get
a copy of the page address using other methods.

or perhaps i shouldn't assume everyone uses a browser the same way i do
and leave it alone.
Maybe it's a problem with my imagination.
yes

But I think it's rather a problem with yours.

my problem is i'm used to using my browser a certain way but now you've
killed off the current page link so i'm forced to use another unfamiliar
method (if one is available) to do whatever i wanted to do with the
link.
Enlighten me. What else can a right-click on a link do that cannot be
absolutely replicated on a current page??

it doesn't matter if you can do it by other means the visitor may not
know how to do it by other means.

Neal

or perhaps i shouldn't assume everyone uses a browser the same way i do
and leave it alone.

I'm not advocating messing with the browser. I'm not including a link to
the current page. That';s quite different.
my problem is i'm used to using my browser a certain way but now you've
killed off the current page link so i'm forced to use another unfamiliar
method (if one is available) to do whatever i wanted to do with the
link.

I've really just not included it. Do you advocate that every page should
have a link to itself? That's what seems to be your position. And I've
never seen that recommended by anyone - rather the opposite is normally
preferred. You ought to write a tutorial.
it doesn't matter if you can do it by other means the visitor may not
know how to do it by other means.

Again, I cannot go to their home and teach them to use their computer,
their browser, or even the chair in which they sit. We must presuppose the
user has the knowledge to use their browser. Setting bookmarks, printing,
saving a file - all these are rather basic parts of computer literacy.

Do you complain when the waitress brings you a soda without a straw, as
some drinkers cannot drink without one?