Sample site

John

Hi

Is there an asp.net sample site with access backend that I could use to
learn good asp.net development practices?

Thanks

Regards

Hermit Dave

dont know bout developing with access but try www.asp.net it should be a
good starting point. There you will find a whole lot of tutorials and links
to other sites which might be helpful.

HD

John

Thanks for that. Why does everyone hate access?

Hermit Dave said:
dont know bout developing with access but try www.asp.net it should be a
good starting point. There you will find a whole lot of tutorials and links
to other sites which might be helpful.

HD

Hermit Dave

Well the reason is simple... access is limited to what it can do how much
data it can hold.... and isnt very good when you are talking of multi user
connectivity...
i have had so many issues... i reckon others have had similar issues in past

thats about all thats wrong with access...

HD

Todd Acheson

Like most situations, IT DEPENDS...
Access is great in a small defined scope of size and activitiy, like 10
users or less.
If your website only ever has that many connections, you might be alright.
I started my career in MS Access, so I have a love/hate relationship with
it. I currently use it as a backend on a volunteer website that I
administer. So far no problems...but if we ever get a ton of hits at one
time, it will be very noticeable.
I would seriously consider SQL Server (if you want to stay with Microsoft)
or some other company's higher end database if your application needs to
scale to more than 10 users. I use SQL Server and I am very pleased with
it's performance all-around.
Your results may vary.

HTH

Todd

Jerry Boone

Amen to that!!!

I have built many ASP websites using mdb backends and have had downtime. I
haven't even tried it with ASP.NET because I learned EARLY. If you open the
database and try to modify it, users will "sometimes" get a "Page cannot be
displayed" error because you have the database locked. In early versions of
IIS, closing the database would still not release the locks for some reason.
The only way I could get it back online was to stop IIS and copy, then
rename the mdb, then restart IIS - unbelievable... so... I resorted to
copying the thing elsewhere, modify it as fast, then replace the production
mdb. Hopefully, you are not collecting data while this is going on or else
it would obviously be lost. Sure, you could import some of the changes, but
geez...

On both mdb releases I had instances where ISP administrators did a blanket
permission assignment and gave all web files "read only" thinking that they
were "just html files". That certainly doesn't set well with a mdb.

Using Sql Server is wonderful, I have dozens of sites running with it and
wouldn't think twice about changing anything. Once you set up the
permissions and connection string, it's very unlikely you will ever have to
look at that again unless the entire server changes somehow.

But really, too many Access things like this to list... small database or
large, this is Access and you pay with frustration for keeping things simple
with one little mdb.

--
Jerry Boone
Analytical Technologies, Inc.

Hermit Dave

very well explained... unfortunately i was a bit short of time this
morning... usually am in the mornings... shouldnt get on newsgroups then.
but i agree, locking was the most frustrating thing bout access... most of
the times restarting IIS did the thing but then i got used to rebooting the
machine as well...

since i moved to asp.net i havent even looked at access.... sql is good and
it behaves.... (sometimes the clients are just too skint to pay anything...
dont take those ones any more..)

plus there are lot more things you can do... i love using stored procs for
everything related to the db and sql client does take me away from the pre
..net era of using ole db providers. yes i know internally it still does...
having used OLE for the great many years i rather leave it with win32s.....

:)

HD