    learn good asp.net development practices?

    Thanks

    Regards
    John, Dec 22, 2003

  2. John

    Hermit Dave Guest

    dont know bout developing with access but try www.asp.net it should be a
    good starting point. There you will find a whole lot of tutorials and links
    to other sites which might be helpful.

    HD

    Hermit Dave, Dec 22, 2003

  3. John

    John Guest

    Thanks for that. Why does everyone hate access?

    John, Dec 22, 2003
  4. John

    Hermit Dave Guest

    Well the reason is simple... access is limited to what it can do how much
    data it can hold.... and isnt very good when you are talking of multi user
    connectivity...
    i have had so many issues... i reckon others have had similar issues in past

    thats about all thats wrong with access...

    HD

    Hermit Dave, Dec 22, 2003
  5. John

    Todd Acheson Guest

    Like most situations, IT DEPENDS...
    Access is great in a small defined scope of size and activitiy, like 10
    users or less.
    If your website only ever has that many connections, you might be alright.
    I started my career in MS Access, so I have a love/hate relationship with
    it. I currently use it as a backend on a volunteer website that I
    administer. So far no problems...but if we ever get a ton of hits at one
    time, it will be very noticeable.
    I would seriously consider SQL Server (if you want to stay with Microsoft)
    or some other company's higher end database if your application needs to
    scale to more than 10 users. I use SQL Server and I am very pleased with
    it's performance all-around.
    Your results may vary.

    HTH

    Todd

    > Well the reason is simple... access is limited to what it can do how much
    > data it can hold.... and isnt very good when you are talking of multi user
    > connectivity...
    > i have had so many issues... i reckon others have had similar issues in

    past

    > thats about all thats wrong with access...
    >
    > HD
    > "John" <> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for that. Why does everyone hate access?
    > >
    > > "Hermit Dave" <> wrote in

    message

    Todd Acheson, Dec 22, 2003
  6. John

    Jerry Boone Guest

    Amen to that!!!

    I have built many ASP websites using mdb backends and have had downtime. I
    haven't even tried it with ASP.NET because I learned EARLY. If you open the
    database and try to modify it, users will "sometimes" get a "Page cannot be
    displayed" error because you have the database locked. In early versions of
    IIS, closing the database would still not release the locks for some reason.
    The only way I could get it back online was to stop IIS and copy, then
    rename the mdb, then restart IIS - unbelievable... so... I resorted to
    copying the thing elsewhere, modify it as fast, then replace the production
    mdb. Hopefully, you are not collecting data while this is going on or else
    it would obviously be lost. Sure, you could import some of the changes, but
    geez...

    On both mdb releases I had instances where ISP administrators did a blanket
    permission assignment and gave all web files "read only" thinking that they
    were "just html files". That certainly doesn't set well with a mdb.

    Using Sql Server is wonderful, I have dozens of sites running with it and
    wouldn't think twice about changing anything. Once you set up the
    permissions and connection string, it's very unlikely you will ever have to
    look at that again unless the entire server changes somehow.

    But really, too many Access things like this to list... small database or
    large, this is Access and you pay with frustration for keeping things simple
    with one little mdb.

    --
    Jerry Boone
    Analytical Technologies, Inc.

    > Well the reason is simple... access is limited to what it can do how much
    > data it can hold.... and isnt very good when you are talking of multi user
    > connectivity...
    > i have had so many issues... i reckon others have had similar issues in

    past

    > thats about all thats wrong with access...
    >
    > HD
    > "John" <> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for that. Why does everyone hate access?
    > >
    > > "Hermit Dave" <> wrote in

    message

    Jerry Boone, Dec 22, 2003
  7. John

    Hermit Dave Guest

    very well explained... unfortunately i was a bit short of time this
    morning... usually am in the mornings... shouldnt get on newsgroups then.
    but i agree, locking was the most frustrating thing bout access... most of
    the times restarting IIS did the thing but then i got used to rebooting the
    machine as well...

    since i moved to asp.net i havent even looked at access.... sql is good and
    it behaves.... (sometimes the clients are just too skint to pay anything...
    dont take those ones any more..)

    plus there are lot more things you can do... i love using stored procs for
    everything related to the db and sql client does take me away from the pre
    ..net era of using ole db providers. yes i know internally it still does...
    having used OLE for the great many years i rather leave it with win32s.....

    :)

    HD

    Hermit Dave, Dec 22, 2003