    code to simulate this but was wondering if there is an online example
    or something that can give me a lead to follow.

    Thanks.
    Amit, Mar 21, 2008

  2. On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 00:45:04 -0700 (PDT), Amit wrote:

    >In one of the previous threads, I had pointed out to page 15 at
    >http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/uploads/documents/en/WM8731.pdf
    >documentation which discusses a CODEC. Now, I need to write a VHDL
    >code to simulate this but was wondering if there is an online example
    >or something that can give me a lead to follow.

    As usual when thinking about simulation models of existing devices,
    the big question is: what parts of the device's behaviour do you
    wish to simulate?

    For many digital verification scenarios, it's sufficient to
    mimic the digital behaviour (timing, register activity) of
    the digital interfaces, providing dummy data to represent
    the analogue values flowing through those digital interfaces.
    You'll need to know about the data format (AC96 or whatever)
    that's used to serialise the data, but that's not too hard.

    If you want to link the thing a little more accurately to the
    simulated analogue domain, then you need to model behaviour
    on the analogue pins too. There are various ways to do this
    in digital VHDL, none entirely satisfactory, but modelling
    a DAC or ADC's conversion is easy - just take a "real" number
    representing the analogue value and type-convert it to the
    appropriate number of digital bits.

    If you plan to simulate all the rather sophisticated filtering
    that's going on inside the device, you have a tough DSP
    challenge ahead of you.

    Tell us what you really need and perhaps we can find some
    useful suggestions, or examples of the kind of behavioural
    model that you will require.
    --
    Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

    DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how

    http://www.MYCOMPANY.com

    Jonathan Bromley, Mar 21, 2008

  3. Amit

    Rick Guest

    Amit wrote:

    > Hello group,
    >
    > In one of the previous threads, I had pointed out to page 15 at
    > http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/uploads/documents/en/WM8731.pdf
    > documentation which discusses a CODEC. Now, I need to write a VHDL
    > code to simulate this but was wondering if there is an online example
    > or something that can give me a lead to follow.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Amit,

    For general information about component modeling, go to
    www.FreeModelFoundry.com. They do not have a model of theCODEC you are
    using but they do have lots of other models to serve as examples.

    Rick
    Rick, Mar 22, 2008
  4. Amit

    Amit Guest

    On Mar 21, 2:30 am, Jonathan Bromley <>
    wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 00:45:04 -0700 (PDT), Amit wrote:
    > >In one of the previous threads, I had pointed out to page 15 at
    > >http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/uploads/documents/en/WM8731.pdf
    > >documentation which discusses a CODEC. Now, I need to write a VHDL
    > >code to simulate this but was wondering if there is an online example
    > >or something that can give me a lead to follow.

    > As usual when thinking about simulation models of existing devices,
    > the big question is: what parts of the device's behaviour do you
    > wish to simulate?
    >
    > For many digital verification scenarios, it's sufficient to
    > mimic the digital behaviour (timing, register activity) of
    > the digital interfaces, providing dummy data to represent
    > the analogue values flowing through those digital interfaces.
    > You'll need to know about the data format (AC96 or whatever)
    > that's used to serialise the data, but that's not too hard.
    >
    > If you want to link the thing a little more accurately to the
    > simulated analogue domain, then you need to model behaviour
    > on the analogue pins too. There are various ways to do this
    > in digital VHDL, none entirely satisfactory, but modelling
    > a DAC or ADC's conversion is easy - just take a "real" number
    > representing the analogue value and type-convert it to the
    > appropriate number of digital bits.
    >
    > If you plan to simulate all the rather sophisticated filtering
    > that's going on inside the device, you have a tough DSP
    > challenge ahead of you.
    >
    > Tell us what you really need and perhaps we can find some
    > useful suggestions, or examples of the kind of behavioural
    > model that you will require.
    > --
    > Jonathan Bromley, Consultant
    >
    > DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how

    > ://www.MYCOMPANY.com

    Hello Jonathan,

    Thanks for your time and explaining it. One thing is that in this
    phase of the project I need to simulate it base on timing on page 15.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong. I think I have to implement it either
    counter or FSM but I'm confused and not sure to start it.

    1) should I use the exact timing values?
    2) do you suggest counter or fsm?

    Thanks.
    Amit, Mar 23, 2008
  5. Amit

    Amit Guest

    On Mar 22, 11:59 am, Rick <> wrote:
    > Amit wrote:
    >
    > > Hello group,

    > > In one of the previous threads, I had pointed out to page 15 at
    > >http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/uploads/documents/en/WM8731.pdf
    > > documentation which discusses a CODEC. Now, I need to write a VHDL
    > > code to simulate this but was wondering if there is an online example
    > > or something that can give me a lead to follow.

    > > Thanks.

    > Amit,
    >
    > For general information about component modeling, go towww.FreeModelFoundry.com. They do not have a model of theCODEC you are
    > using but they do have lots of other models to serve as examples.
    >
    > Rick

    Rick thanks you so much. It was big help. Of course couldn't find any
    CODEC example but there are so many helpful samples.

    Thank you.
    Amit, Mar 23, 2008