    or testing purposes, not for actual production purposes?

    please advise. thanks!!

    , Sep 27, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I always hear the term "sandbox" in software development circle.
    > Actually what does it really mean? Is it the machine for development,
    > or testing purposes, not for actual production purposes?

    I've heard it used to mean what I understood as "a playground" or
    "a trial (and error) area", some place you don't need kept neat, or
    some place that can be easily scrapped and used again.

    FWIW, it could be some area on a development machine, like a separate
    disk drive, for example.

    Victor Bazarov, Sep 27, 2005

  3. writes:
    > I always hear the term "sandbox" in software development circle.
    > Actually what does it really mean? Is it the machine for development,
    > or testing purposes, not for actual production purposes?
    >
    > please advise. thanks!!

    This is off-topic in the comp.lang.* newsgroups. Followups redirected
    to comp.software-eng.

    Keith Thompson, Sep 27, 2005

    Sandbox is a box used for "proof of concept". Therefore, it is a
    development box but a different kind of development is done there
    because it's not something that will necessarily go to production. It's
    just something being done to proof some concept. At least, that's what
    we've used several sandboxes for.

    Gabsaga

    , Sep 27, 2005
  5. Roedy Green Guest

    On 27 Sep 2005 12:11:28 -0700, wrote or quoted
    :

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sandbox.html
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.