Sanity test......firefox versus IE

Richard

A very simple procedure.
A standard 3 column division layout and firefox absolutely refuses to
display column3.
While in IE it rendered just fine.
Why? Because apparently IE "ASSUMES" a floating element whereas in firefox,
it is demanded.

Yet another reason why to give up IE entirely and switch to a better browser
such as firefox.

Sample:

..main { width:1000px; height:900px; }
..navbar { width:200px; height:900px; background-color:#7F7; float:left;}
..middle { width:200px; height:900px; background-color:#F44; float:left;}
..iright { width:400px; height:900px; background-color:#44F; float:left;}

Leave out the float:left in column 3 and check out the results in both
browsers.

Maybe IE will eventually grow up and join the crowd.

Steve Pugh

Richard said:
A very simple procedure.
A standard 3 column division layout and firefox absolutely refuses to
display column3.
While in IE it rendered just fine.
Why? Because apparently IE "ASSUMES" a floating element whereas in firefox,
it is demanded.

As the default is float: none; it would be very odd if IE assumed
anything else.
Yet another reason why to give up IE entirely and switch to a better browser
such as firefox.

Sample:

.main { width:1000px; height:900px; }
.navbar { width:200px; height:900px; background-color:#7F7; float:left;}
.middle { width:200px; height:900px; background-color:#F44; float:left;}
.iright { width:400px; height:900px; background-color:#44F; float:left;}

Fixed width _and_ fixed height. I hope you have nothing in there
except images. You might as well be using absolute positioning - this
is just as inflexible as a typical rigid abs pos design.
Leave out the float:left in column 3 and check out the results in both
browsers.

Without the float: left the third column starts at the left hand page
edge. Howeve, any content in it would start to the right of the
floated elements. But as the third column is only 400px wide there is
no space left in it to the right of the floated columns - hence any
content must be displayed below the floated elements. Read the spec on
floats.

I'm sure that there are many ways in which IE can screw this up.
Without the full code I won't guess as to which it is.

Steve

Oli Filth

Richard said:
A very simple procedure.
A standard 3 column division layout and firefox absolutely refuses to
display column3.
While in IE it rendered just fine.
Why? Because apparently IE "ASSUMES" a floating element whereas in firefox,
it is demanded.

IE doesn't assume a float, it just renders incorrectly. You can test
this by changing it to float:none for the iright style.

Travis Newbury

Richard said:
A very simple procedure...
...Maybe IE will eventually grow up and join the crowd.

Someone should make (maybe they already have) a validation service that
highlights things that could be a potential IE issue. (I will beat
everyone to the obvious "Everything that validates is an IE issue" line.)

Karl Core

Travis Newbury said:
Someone should make (maybe they already have) a validation service that
highlights things that could be a potential IE issue. (I will beat
everyone to the obvious "Everything that validates is an IE issue" line.)

Sure. Hog everyone else's fun.