Sanity test......firefox versus IE

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Richard, Jan 2, 2005.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    A very simple procedure.
    A standard 3 column division layout and firefox absolutely refuses to
    display column3.
    While in IE it rendered just fine.
    Why? Because apparently IE "ASSUMES" a floating element whereas in firefox,
    it is demanded.

    Yet another reason why to give up IE entirely and switch to a better browser
    such as firefox.

    Sample:

    ..main { width:1000px; height:900px; }
    ..navbar { width:200px; height:900px; background-color:#7F7; float:left;}
    ..middle { width:200px; height:900px; background-color:#F44; float:left;}
    ..iright { width:400px; height:900px; background-color:#44F; float:left;}

    Leave out the float:left in column 3 and check out the results in both
    browsers.

    Maybe IE will eventually grow up and join the crowd.

    Richard, Jan 2, 2005

  2. Richard

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:

    >A very simple procedure.
    >A standard 3 column division layout and firefox absolutely refuses to
    >display column3.
    >While in IE it rendered just fine.
    >Why? Because apparently IE "ASSUMES" a floating element whereas in firefox,
    >it is demanded.

    As the default is float: none; it would be very odd if IE assumed
    anything else.

    >Yet another reason why to give up IE entirely and switch to a better browser
    >such as firefox.
    >
    >Sample:

    >.main { width:1000px; height:900px; }
    >.navbar { width:200px; height:900px; background-color:#7F7; float:left;}
    >.middle { width:200px; height:900px; background-color:#F44; float:left;}
    >.iright { width:400px; height:900px; background-color:#44F; float:left;}

    Fixed width _and_ fixed height. I hope you have nothing in there
    except images. You might as well be using absolute positioning - this
    is just as inflexible as a typical rigid abs pos design.

    >Leave out the float:left in column 3 and check out the results in both
    >browsers.

    Without the float: left the third column starts at the left hand page
    edge. Howeve, any content in it would start to the right of the
    floated elements. But as the third column is only 400px wide there is
    no space left in it to the right of the floated columns - hence any
    content must be displayed below the floated elements. Read the spec on
    floats.

    I'm sure that there are many ways in which IE can screw this up.
    Without the full code I won't guess as to which it is.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh, Jan 2, 2005

  3. Richard

    Oli Filth Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > A very simple procedure.
    > A standard 3 column division layout and firefox absolutely refuses to
    > display column3.
    > While in IE it rendered just fine.
    > Why? Because apparently IE "ASSUMES" a floating element whereas in firefox,
    > it is demanded.

    IE doesn't assume a float, it just renders incorrectly. You can test
    this by changing it to float:none for the iright style.

    Oli Filth, Jan 2, 2005
  4. Richard wrote:
    > A very simple procedure...
    > ...Maybe IE will eventually grow up and join the crowd.

    Someone should make (maybe they already have) a validation service that
    highlights things that could be a potential IE issue. (I will beat
    everyone to the obvious "Everything that validates is an IE issue" line.)

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jan 2, 2005
  5. Richard

    Karl Core Guest

    "Travis Newbury" <> wrote in message
    > Richard wrote:
    >> A very simple procedure...
    >> ...Maybe IE will eventually grow up and join the crowd.

    > Someone should make (maybe they already have) a validation service that
    > highlights things that could be a potential IE issue. (I will beat
    > everyone to the obvious "Everything that validates is an IE issue" line.)

    Sure. Hog everyone else's fun.

    --
    -Karl Core
    Please Support "Project Boneyard":