Save data to server without postback?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mike Szanto, Jul 26, 2003.

  1. Mike Szanto

    Mike Szanto Guest

    I have an intranet application where some pages display large tables of
    editable data. I've designed the page to operate like Microsoft Access
    where the user can move from cell to cell and as they change rows it
    checks to see if edits have been made and automatically saves the
    changes to that row in our SQL database.

    Here's my challenge: Everytime the information is posted back to the
    server, the page is reloaded at the client(normal asp behavior). This
    causes an uncomfortable delay if the table has hundreds of rows because
    it could take a few seconds or more to refresh the page if there are
    hundreds of rows.

    I'm looking for a better approach but I'm not sure where to look.
    Ideally, I should be able to post back only the changes made to that
    single row and not have to refresh the page at the client because
    nothing has changed. I was wondering if some other technology such as
    SOAP or XML or web service might be able to accomadate this and if
    someone could point me to a good resource (book, website, etc.) that
    would give me a jump start.

    TIA, Mike

    Mike Szanto, Jul 26, 2003

  2. Mike,
    If you are using IE 5.0 (or greater), then you can use IE's WebService Behavior
    The WebService Behavior enables client-side script to invoke remote methods
    exposed by Web Services, without having to do a postback.

    For more information, please see the following MS help file
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/webservice/webservice_node_entry.asp

    --

    Thanks,
    Carl Prothman

    Carl Prothman [MVP], Jul 26, 2003

  3. Mike Szanto

    Mike Szanto Guest

    Carl,

    That's exactly what I'm looking for.

    I had an inkling that webservices would do it but didn't know what to
    look for. "Web Services Behavior" looks like it will be the answer.

    This looks to be so much more efficient than than the traditional
    post/get methodology, I'm surprized there's not much discussion on it in
    these newsgroups.

    Are you using this and if so, what is you opinion on this methodology
    vs. Post/Get.

    Thanks again,

    Mike

    Mike Szanto, Jul 28, 2003
  4. "Mike Szanto" <> wrote
    > That's exactly what I'm looking for.

    Cool! ;-)

    > I had an inkling that webservices would do it but didn't know what to
    > look for. "Web Services Behavior" looks like it will be the answer.
    >
    > This looks to be so much more efficient than than the traditional
    > post/get methodology, I'm surprized there's not much discussion on it in
    > these newsgroups.

    It may be due to that fact that this solution only works with IE 5.x and greater...

    > Are you using this and if so, what is you opinion on this methodology
    > vs. Post/Get.

    I prefer the IE Web Service behavior since the screen doesn't flicker
    when getting data, unlike a post back. Athough it's a bit more work
    since you are working with client-side code, which IMHO, Visual
    Studio .NET's ASP.NET designer is really not geared up for...

    Carl Prothman [MVP], Jul 28, 2003
  5. Mike Szanto

    bruce barker Guest

    actually netscape 7 has web service support builtin (no need for a bunch of
    javascript) and flash also supports web services.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jul 28, 2003