Save Edit Table on Exit

Stephen Lynch

What is the best way to insure that an edit table fields are saved on an
exit.

For example, I have an edit panel on a page. I do not want to post back on
every field, but if an end user goes to another page I want the save button
clicked so that the records are saved to the backend database.

Thanks

Steve

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

Stephen said:
What is the best way to insure that an edit table fields are saved on an
exit.

For example, I have an edit panel on a page. I do not want to post back on
every field, but if an end user goes to another page I want the save button
clicked so that the records are saved to the backend database.

Thanks

Steve

Unfortunately, there is no 100% reliable way. The onunload event in the
body tag can be used for this, but you cannot be 100% sure that the
action will be executed when the user closes the browser, for example.

If it is vital to save the data to the server, then I recommend using
AJAX to send the field's content to the server on a regular basis, for
example every time that a key is pressed. If it is not vital, then you
must design your application keeping that limitation in mind.

HTH,
Laurent