save file with different name !

Jameel

Hello,

uptill now i able to save the files to the server with thier original names, but i want to save the files with different names to avoid duplication of file names. see the following for what i have acheived uptill now :
strFileName = txtFileName.PostedFile.FileName
strFileName = System.IO.Path.GetFileName(strFileName)
'Save Uploaded file to server
strFileNamePath = strFileFolder & strFileName

If Not (txtFileName.PostedFile Is Nothing) Then
Try
txtFileName.PostedFile.SaveAs(strFileNamePath)
Catch ex As Exception
Response.Write("Error Saving File <Br> " & ex.Message.ToString)
Return False
End Try

Please help me ! I would really appreciate if you would write me some code, not only explain me !

Peter Rilling

You can do two things.

1) You could use something like File.Exists to see if the file already exists, if it does then append a number on the filename, for instance MyFile.txt (1), MyFile.txt (2), etc.
2) You could generate a unique name regardless of what it was originally named using the Guid class. You won't be able to tell what each file is, but you won't have conflicts.