Save Multiple versions of a page on the client side

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Joseph I. Ceasar, May 15, 2007.

  1. In an earlier post, someone asked about how to save a page on the client
    programmatically. I also had to solve this problem and did use Steven's
    approach. It worked
    great!

    Now here is an interesting twist. The page that gets saved to the client
    contains a several DataGrids components. The data displayed in the grids is
    filtered by the contents of a separate drop down list box. This allows the
    client to "download" one page a time.

    I now need to replace the drop down by a list box that supports
    multi-selects. When the client user clicks on the "download" button, I need
    to generate several versions of the page, each displaying the data related
    to one of the selections in the list box.

    How do I do this?

    I first tried to extend the approach given here ahd have the page render
    itself several times. Each time it renders itself with new data, I would
    capture the stream into a file on the server. Once we are done with all the
    renderings, I would then zip up the files and send them to the client. The
    question is, how can I force the page to render itself several times?

    My next idea is to use a session variable to store all the selections from
    the list box. I then create another page whose sole purpose is to redirect
    me to my original page. In my original page, every time it loads, I check
    the session variable and move on to the next item in the list. Once I
    capture its output, I then redirect the response to the newly created page,
    which will in turn send me back to my original page, etc.

    Any ideas?

    Joseph I. Ceasar, May 15, 2007