    later use?

    Regards,
    Jamal

    Jamal Soueidan, Oct 27, 2008

  2. 2008/10/27 Jamal Soueidan <>:
    > I want to ask if it's possible to save object reference in database for
    > later use?

    No, not directly. How should that work?

    You either need an OR mapper (for example ActiveRecord) or you store
    complete object graphs serialized (via Marshal in a BLOB or YAML in a
    CLOB).

    Cheers

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Oct 27, 2008

  3. Robert Klemme wrote:
    > 2008/10/27 Jamal Soueidan <>:
    >> I want to ask if it's possible to save object reference in database for
    >> later use?

    > No, not directly. How should that work?

    Well, technically it *is* possible to save object references - see
    weakref.rb for an implementation.

    But this is almost certainly not what the OP wants (since those object
    references won't survive garbage collection, or application restart)

    Brian Candler, Oct 27, 2008
  4. 2008/10/27 Brian Candler <>:
    > Robert Klemme wrote:
    >> 2008/10/27 Jamal Soueidan <>:
    >>> I want to ask if it's possible to save object reference in database for
    >>> later use?

    >> No, not directly. How should that work?

    > Well, technically it *is* possible to save object references - see
    > weakref.rb for an implementation.

    Hey, normally *I* am supposed to be the nitpick! What's the point in
    storing something that you cannot reasonably retrieve? This is only
    useful for a WOM. *gg*

    > But this is almost certainly not what the OP wants (since those object
    > references won't survive garbage collection, or application restart)

    Exactly!

    Kind regards

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Oct 27, 2008