<!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet --> vs

Andy Dingley

TC said:
I haven't tested that case myself, but, I'm absolutely confident that
MS know what they are doing with this,

Do you have _any_ evidence for any previous outbreak of Clue, as
regards M$oft's web tools?
In summary, you shouldn't assume that the MS folks who desiged this
feature, are total idiots,

I'd settle for incompetent and unfit to be employed designing
security-critical components intended for use on public networks.

M$oft's track record here is appalling. Their recent hacks are a
panicked response to something they've no real control of, or plan for
improving. Their products are unfit for purpose, in a public network
situation full of evildoers.

Jonathan N. Little

TC said:
o If the file is being created by someone who has somehow obtained
unauthorized access to the local filesystem, then, all bets are off,
and the MOTW is irrelevant.

Here is a radical idea, how about if a web browser did not have
read-write access to the local file system except with these specific
exceptions:

1) cookies with all the inherent restrictions that cookies are supposed
to have.

2) cached media files

3) downloaded|uploaded files

#3 MUST require user initiation

#1-3 Cannot be executable directly from within web browser.

TC

Andy Dingley

TC said:
Given the tone of the other replies, I think that I will write this up
on my website, instead of continuing here.

In other words: you failed to pull any of the totty, so now you're off
home for a wank.

Joel Shepherd

Andy Dingley said:
In other words: you failed to pull any of the totty, so now you're off
home for a wank.

Spoken like a true professional. Disagree from an engineering
perspective? Resort to crude derision.

Well said: well said, indeed.

dorayme

"Andy Dingley said:
In other words: you failed to pull any of the totty, so now you're off
home for a wank.

How can he say anything after this? He can't! No one could. You
may have pulled off the ultimate putdown AD...

rf

TC said:
Are you guys actually adults?

Yes. Most of us are. Most of us work in the *real* world. Most of us make
money using software *other* than the rubbish microsoft offers up as "tools"
to build web sites.
TC (MVP MSAccess)
.... Especially MSAccess. A Bloody useless peice of software if I have ever
seen one, and I know, I do a bit of development in C# and IMHO Access is a
bloody waste of time. Just at damn frustrating wrapper around SQL.

The alt. hierarchy is *not* a very good place to advertise your trivially
obtainable microsoft credentials. Best retreat back to the microsoft.*
newsgroups where they will yell and cheer for you.

Oh my. How quaint. A web site. Looks like something the 12 year old kid next
door might produce.

30 Years experience? Well so do I. And I make far better web sites that this
example.

Half a million lines of code? Well, sounds like you were a COBOL programmer
:)

"My free web host provider was very unreliable in July..." ROFLMBAO

Joel Shepherd

"rf said:
Yes. Most of us are. Most of us work in the *real* world.

Cool, but isn't part of working in the real world learning how to deal
gracefully with people who make decisions you disagree with?

You don't have to take personal offense at someone else's (a virtually
complete stranger's at that) choice of tools. You haven't walked in
their shoes. You know nothing about how they arrived at their decision.
Oh my. How quaint. A web site. Looks like something the 12 year old kid next
door might produce.

Nor do you have to give personal offense.

TC

rf said:
... Especially MSAccess. A Bloody useless peice of software if I have ever
seen one, and I know, I do a bit of development in C# and IMHO Access is a
bloody waste of time.

Friend, I have over 30 years of professional software development
experience, including leading a 10,000 manhour project using Unix and
Oracle - and I can tell you that MS Access is one of the most capable
desktop database products that has ever existed.

So I think that I will trust my own experience of that product, over
your own, impressively stated "bit of development in C#".

Goodbye!

TC (MVP MSAccess)
http://tc2.atspace.com

Andy Dingley

rf said:
... Especially MSAccess. A Bloody useless peice of software if I have ever
seen one,

Hey, Access is _useful_, it's just bloody ugly!
The alt. hierarchy is *not* a very good place to advertise your trivially
obtainable microsoft credentials.

There is something horribly astroturf about the MVP programme.

(...and if anyone cares, 10 years ago I was at DEC, writing and
delivering courseware on Access for their M$ certified training arm. I
don't like Access, but I've taken enough of Bill's dollars for mucking
its cage out from time to time)

Nick CKS

Does anything from M$ make sense especially when it comes to security

Your Humble Servant
Nick