Saving a file on a network folder from ASP.Net Web application

Guest

Hi All,

Is it possible to save a file on a network folder from a web application which is developed in ASP.Net.

I tried mapping a network folder on the server and tried to save a file on that mapped folder. I am getting error as :
"Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. "

Please help me to resolve this problem.

Thanks,
Vani

M. Zeeshan Mustafa

ASP.NET web applications run under specific user account,
and so deligating security context of that user (usually ASPNET).
"Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. "

The user which is running your ASP.NET web application may
not have permissions to access the share.

Have a look at: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=317012#3 and
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=317012#5b

You can impersonate your application to run under an account
which has permissions to access certain resources:
<identity impersonate="true" username="domain\username"
password="password" />

This way when you application attempts to access another resource
that requires authentication, the username and password specified
here are used to authenticate for that resource. Storing passwords
in clear text is a security issue, read more here:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=329290

--
Hope this helps,
Zeeshan Mustafa, MCSD