Saving an ASP form to a text file

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Kevin Ingram, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Kevin Ingram

    Kevin Ingram Guest

    Ok, this is probably a silly question but I just keep hitting a brick wall
    here.

    I usually develop my sites entirely in ASP and use a database for data
    storage, works great for me. I also sometimes save information to a text
    file on my server like c:\invoices\customername.txt for batch processing
    later... I use the FSO commands and it all works slick.

    Now, I have a new project: A client wants us to log in to their website on
    another server, and program some pages for them. Very simple stuff, mostly
    created with FrontPage, I added a couple of ASP pages and they work fine...
    but I have one thing I cannot get to work:

    They want the results of a form saved into a text file that they will FTP
    later. They created the form in FrontPage as follows:

    <form method="POST" action="_derived/nortbots.htm"
    onSubmit="location.href='_derived/nortbots.htm';return false;"
    webbot-action="--WEBBOT-SELF--"
    WEBBOT-onSubmit="location.href='_derived/nortbots.htm';return false;">
    <!--webbot bot="SaveResults" S-Label-Fields="TRUE"
    U-File="_private/kform_results.txt" S-Format="TEXT/CSV" startspan --><input
    TYPE="hidden" NAME="VTI-GROUP" VALUE="0"><!--webbot bot="SaveResults"
    endspan i-checksum="43374" --><p><input type="text" name="T1"
    size="20"><input type="submit" value="Submit" name="B1"><input type="reset"
    value="Reset" name="B2"></p>
    </form>

    This saves the results of the form in a text file in their server. I want to
    do this, but can't get the above form to work from an ASP page, it looks
    like it only accepts it from a page with an HTM extension. Normally I would
    use the FSO command and write the data to a specific location on the server,
    but its not my server so I have no control over where to write it.

    So... my simple question is: How can I get the results of a form on an ASP
    page to dump into a text file that the client can just FTP later from their
    site? or.... even into another HTM page on the same site? They could just
    read it there....

    I am using Visual Studio 6, writing the pages in Visual InterDev.

    Thanks!

    Kevin Ingram, Feb 19, 2004

  2. Kevin Ingram

    Bullschmidt Guest