    You should assume that I have the least computer knowledge of anyone you've
    ever met...

    Kind regards, Bruce. E-mail
    mark garrison, Apr 1, 2005

  2. mark garrison wrote:

    > I'm new to computers and it's the simple things that trip me up. Can
    > anyone give me a step by step guide to the edit -save -browse cycle?
    > Using Notepad, I'm confused by conflicting instructions in books.Do I
    > save as "text" or "all files"? What I want to do is type out my page
    > in html, save it and then

    You can't save it as "all files". What you're seeing is a list of the
    files that already exist in the directory -- "all files" that are there,
    as versus only the files with some particular extension. You want to
    view it in your browser, and I think from the fact that you're posting
    to alt.html means that you know about html files -- so save it with an
    ..html extension.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2005

  3. mark garrison

    Willhe Guest

    "mark garrison" <> wrote in message
    > I'm new to computers and it's the simple things that trip me up. Can

    anyone
    > give me a step by step guide to the edit -save -browse cycle? Using

    Notepad,
    > I'm confused by conflicting instructions in books.Do I save as "text" or
    > "all files"? What I want to do is type out my page in html, save it and

    then
    > view it to see it as a web page. How do I do this? The longer I look at

    it
    > the less sense it makes...
    > You should assume that I have the least computer knowledge of anyone

    you've
    > ever met...
    >
    > Kind regards, Bruce. E-mail

    -----------
    Create your page with notepad, save it as index.html (for the homepage)
    indeed
    with the "save as type" set at "all files" and doubleclick your index.html
    file
    to view the page you created. To make changes to the page, rightclick
    somewhere
    in textarea of your page and select "view source". Edit the file, close it
    (save changes)
    and press F5 (refresh) to view the changes you've made.
    Willhe, Apr 1, 2005
  4. mark garrison

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 05:24:13 +0930, "mark garrison"
    <> wrote:

    : Do I save as "text" or
    : "all files"? What I want to do is type out my page in html, save it and then
    : view it to see it as a web page. How do I do this?

    Set it to "all files" but type in .html behind your filename, e.g
    savetheworld.html

    Now click save, once you're in the directory you want it saved in.

    To view, simply dble-click savetheworld.html using Windows Explorer to
    get to your directory first.

    Hope this helps.

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Apr 1, 2005
  5. mark garrison

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "mark garrison"
    <> writing in news::

    > I'm new to computers and it's the simple things that trip me up. Can
    > anyone give me a step by step guide to the edit -save -browse cycle?
    > Using Notepad, I'm confused by conflicting instructions in books.Do I
    > save as "text" or "all files"? What I want to do is type out my page in
    > html, save it and then view it to see it as a web page. How do I do
    > this? The longer I look at it the less sense it makes...
    > You should assume that I have the least computer knowledge of anyone
    > you've ever met...
    >
    > Kind regards, Bruce. E-mail

    If I were you, I would get a text editor with syntax highlighting. True,
    Notepad is a text editor, but it's really not the right tool for the job.
    May I suggest HTML-Kit <http://www.chami.com/html-kit/>, free, lots of
    plugins, syntax highlighting, integrates with HTML-Tidy and TopStyle Lite
    for CSS.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info