Saving binary data in MySQL

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Sune, Nov 4, 2005.

  1. Sune

    Sune Guest

    Hi,

    Does anyone know a website with a guide on how to upload binary data to a
    MySQL database using ASP? I have a script that i spent a lot of hours on
    getting to work, but after i upgraded my MySQL server it doesn't work anymore
    :(

    I'm just getting an error from the odbc driver (upgraded from 2.5X odbc driver
    to 3.51X):

    [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Invalid string or buffer length

    I'm trying to do the upload via AspSmartUpload, with a script that opens
    the record and uses .AddNew to the recordset.
    Anyone who knows a guide, a solution os possibly someone who can help me?
    Thanks!
    --
    Regards,
    Sune

    Sune, Nov 4, 2005

  2. Sune

    Steven Burn Guest

    Don't use SQL myself but, a few points;

    1. Don't use ODBC.... I believe it's been deprecated

    http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126

    2. Store the binary files on the server, and not in the database.

    http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2149

    3. Use INSERT and not .AddNew

    http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2191

    For the specific error you mentioned, see if anything here helps ...

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2289

    --
    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Nov 5, 2005

  3. Sune

    Sune Guest

    Thanks for your suggestions and links!
    I got it working by adding "con.CursorLocation = 3"

    > 2. Store the binary files on the server, and not in the database.

    I need them in the database.

    > 3. Use INSERT and not .AddNew

    Can't get AspSmartUpload to work with an insert statement.
    --
    Kind regards,
    Sune

    Sune, Nov 5, 2005