Saving content of Html page in another server

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Rene Aube, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. Rene Aube

    Rene Aube Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I'm incharge of updating the stats on a chl hockey teams Web Site. I
    would like to know if there is a way (javascript) to be able to save
    the content of the CHL Statistics WebPage on our Server with
    Javascript, in a txt file.

    If it possible, then I would take the content of that page. Execute
    another script that will take this information an place it in our
    database on our server. By doing this, our Team WebSite would be
    update automaticaly.

    At this time, I have to open the CHL Statistics WebPage. Then Save the
    HTML page as a txt file, upload it on our server via FTP, then execute
    my script that places it in our database.

    Could you send your suggestions to ?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated and Thank You in advance.

    Rene Aube

    Rene Aube, Dec 22, 2003

  2. "Rene Aube" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm incharge of updating the stats on a chl hockey teams Web Site. I
    > would like to know if there is a way (javascript) to be able to save
    > the content of the CHL Statistics WebPage on our Server with
    > Javascript, in a txt file.
    >
    > If it possible, then I would take the content of that page. Execute
    > another script that will take this information an place it in our
    > database on our server. By doing this, our Team WebSite would be
    > update automaticaly.
    >
    > At this time, I have to open the CHL Statistics WebPage. Then Save the
    > HTML page as a txt file, upload it on our server via FTP, then execute
    > my script that places it in our database.
    >
    > Could you send your suggestions to ?
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated and Thank You in advance.
    >
    > Rene Aube

    JavaScript is typically used in client-side applictions, in the browser.
    What you are looking for is a server-side method for storing the data, and
    reformatting it for the user. Do a search for CGI, ASP, PHP, or any other
    server-side scripting technology. There exist Javascript server-side
    engines, but that is not likely the answer you are looking for.

    Getting the data from CHL to your database may be the trickiest... in that
    case, if they do it in a constant way, you could write a tool using HTA
    (Search MS's website for it) to load the CHL page in one frame, and the
    other frame, use a script to pull the data out. The script would then use
    some sort of CGI technology (ASP, PHP, Perl, etc) to put the data directly
    into your database. Then, the users of your site will access another CGI
    app that goes into your database, and formats the data in a page, the way
    you want it to.

    There are other server-side methods that can be used to get the data, like
    having the server download the page, parse it with something like Tidy, and
    pull the data out of the DOM model, and put into the database. This tool
    could be run by a Cron job, or something similar...

    Just some ideas,
    Brian

    Brian Genisio, Dec 22, 2003

  3. Rene Aube

    Lucanus Guest

    What kind of Database system are you using?
    Some (like FileMaker), dependant on their version can be programmed to
    fetch and import data like this automatically.

    It just sounds a bit unusual that you want to use JavaScript (which,
    from my understanding is more tailored towards manipulating the user's
    interface rather than doing work on the server).

    Lucanus, Dec 23, 2003
  4. In article <>,
    says...
    > What kind of Database system are you using?
    > Some (like FileMaker), dependant on their version can be programmed to
    > fetch and import data like this automatically.
    >
    > It just sounds a bit unusual that you want to use JavaScript (which,
    > from my understanding is more tailored towards manipulating the user's
    > interface rather than doing work on the server).

    Are you replying to something? If you are, what? How about quoting?

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Dec 23, 2003