    data on a three pages (1,2,3 step) and need to save data to database. Is it
    ok to open connection and insert data on every page, or to somehow save to
    global variables and then save on a last page ?

    Mario, Jun 28, 2010

  2. Mario

    Mario Guest

    "Mario" <> wrote in message
    news:i09jnj$pve$...
    >I need an advice for a most common and memory efficient method. I collect
    >data on a three pages (1,2,3 step) and need to save data to database. Is
    >it ok to open connection and insert data on every page, or to somehow save
    >to global variables and then save on a last page ?

    Correct me if I'm wrong but in a
    Case1: saving data to database, open and close connection - I need to find
    out the ID and that may cause some problem if two users inserted in the same
    time:

    SqlCommand id_cmd = new SqlCommand("select scope_identity() as id",
    connection);

    Object new_id = id_cmd.ExecuteScalar();

    Case 2: I use session variable but it acts on a strange way, sometimes I got
    a null without any particular reason.

    Mario, Jun 28, 2010

  3. Mario

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Mario wrote:
    > I need an advice for a most common and memory efficient method. I collect
    > data on a three pages (1,2,3 step) and need to save data to database. Is it
    > ok to open connection and insert data on every page, or to somehow save to
    > global variables and then save on a last page ?

    You should use an object with public properties to hold the data from
    each page and pass the object as a session variable between pages.

    If you have some flag in the object that it has indicated the user has
    hit the last page, then you can go backwards to the other pages.

    Up until the point of hitting the last page, the Save button on the two
    pages prior to the last page will have the Save button hidden on the
    page. User hits the last page, the indicator in object is set to
    indicate last page has been hit, then you unhide the Save button on the
    the first two pages so the user can save the data from any page at that
    point.

    Everything is kept in the session object, and controls for each page are
    populated from the object, not using a control's view state --
    (disabled).

    Of course, the Save button on each page should have the same logic to
    validate the object before it's persisted to the database and the same
    persist logic.

    The Save button on each page being hidden and unhidden is for the
    creation process.

    If it's the maintenance process, the the Save button is unhidden out the
    gate for each page with the first page being show to the user being page #1.

    You should look into using a tab control that allows the user to move to
    each page effortlessly when the last page is reached in the creation
    process, and the tab control is enabled on each page in the maintenancee
    process out the gate.

    Mr. Arnold, Jun 28, 2010
  4. Mario

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Mario wrote:
    > "Mario" <> wrote in message
    >> I need an advice for a most common and memory efficient method. I collect
    >> data on a three pages (1,2,3 step) and need to save data to database. Is
    >> it ok to open connection and insert data on every page, or to somehow save
    >> to global variables and then save on a last page ?
    >>

    > Correct me if I'm wrong but in a
    > Case1: saving data to database, open and close connection - I need to find
    > out the ID and that may cause some problem if two users inserted in the same
    > time:

    If you had some kind of problem, then a SQL Exception is thrown and
    nothing is saved there is no ID to look at.

    If you use ADO.NET Transaction using a Trans.Setcomplete after the
    successful processing path has completed is a best practice.

    > SqlCommand id_cmd = new SqlCommand("select scope_identity() as id",
    > connection);
    >
    > Object new_id = id_cmd.ExecuteScalar();

    The problem of two user inserting at the same time will never happen if
    using ADO.NET Transaction and wrapping the whole process in a
    transaction is a best practice.

    > Case 2: I use session variable but it acts on a strange way, sometimes I got
    > a null without any particular reason.

    It's most likely the user sat on a page and did nothing, a Session
    Timeout happened and the Session variable is lost for the session. The
    variable is dead/null and the session is dead at that point, and the
    user has to start over.

    If this is a problem, then you need to find a way to save the session
    data to a database table, so that if the session has timed-out, you can
    go to the database and get the session data and put the session data
    back into session to allow the Web application to continue.

    Mr. Arnold, Jun 28, 2010
  5. Mario

    Mario Guest

    "Mr. Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > Mario wrote:
    >> I need an advice for a most common and memory efficient method. I collect
    >> data on a three pages (1,2,3 step) and need to save data to database. Is
    >> it ok to open connection and insert data on every page, or to somehow
    >> save to global variables and then save on a last page ?

    > You should use an object with public properties to hold the data from each
    > page and pass the object as a session variable between pages.
    >
    > If you have some flag in the object that it has indicated the user has hit
    > the last page, then you can go backwards to the other pages.
    >
    > Up until the point of hitting the last page, the Save button on the two
    > pages prior to the last page will have the Save button hidden on the page.
    > User hits the last page, the indicator in object is set to indicate last
    > page has been hit, then you unhide the Save button on the the first two
    > pages so the user can save the data from any page at that point.
    >
    > Everything is kept in the session object, and controls for each page are
    > populated from the object, not using a control's view state --
    > (disabled).
    >
    > Of course, the Save button on each page should have the same logic to
    > validate the object before it's persisted to the database and the same
    > persist logic.
    >
    > The Save button on each page being hidden and unhidden is for the creation
    > process.
    >
    > If it's the maintenance process, the the Save button is unhidden out the
    > gate for each page with the first page being show to the user being page
    > #1.
    >
    > You should look into using a tab control that allows the user to move to
    > each page effortlessly when the last page is reached in the creation
    > process, and the tab control is enabled on each page in the maintenancee
    > process out the gate.

    You give me idea with the Tab control, so I think I that multiview will
    solve the problem, to avoid session variables.
    Still don't see the purpose of ADO.NET and also LINQ. They are also use
    dataset, connection which I use for editing database, so they are to
    imaginary terms for me.
    Thanks

    Mario, Jun 29, 2010
  6. Mario

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Mario wrote:

    > You give me idea with the Tab control, so I think I that multiview will
    > solve the problem, to avoid session variables.
    > Still don't see the purpose of ADO.NET and also LINQ. They are also use
    > dataset, connection which I use for editing database, so they are to
    > imaginary terms for me.

    ADO.NET is the .NET technology that provides the database providers like
    (MS SQL server, Oracle etc, etc) to be used to access their database in
    a .NET program.

    What is ADO.NET?

    ADO.NET is a set of computer software components that programmers can
    use to access data and data services. It is a part of the base class
    library that is included with the Microsoft .NET Framework. It is
    commonly used by programmers to access and modify data stored in
    relational database systems, though it can also access data in
    non-relational sources. ADO.NET is sometimes considered an evolution of
    ActiveX Data Objects (ADO) technology, but was changed so extensively
    that it can be considered an entirely new product.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADO.NET

    LINQ is about the following and take note on the word 'object'.

    What is Object-oriented-programming?

    (OOP) is a programming paradigm that uses "objects" and their
    interactions to design applications and computer programs.
    The key concepts of OOP are the following:

    Class
    Object
    Instance
    Method
    Message passing
    Inheritance
    Abstraction
    Encapsulation
    Polymorphism
    Decoupling

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming

    No matter what development platform Java, .Net or others OOP is OOP.

    http://math.hws.edu/eck/cs124/downloads/OOP2_from_Univ_KwaZulu-Natal.pdf
    http://www.blackwasp.co.uk/ObjectOrientedConcepts.aspx

    What are design patterns?

    Design patterns are recurring solutions to software design problems you
    find again and again in real-world application development. Patterns are
    about design and interaction of objects, as well as providing a
    communication platform concerning elegant, reusable solutions to
    commonly encountered programming challenges.

    http://www.developer.com/design/article.php/1502691
    http://www.dofactory.com/Patterns/Patterns.aspx
    http://computerprogramming.suite101.com/article.cfm/patterns_and_antipatterns
    http://www.designpatternsfor.net/Presentations.aspx?tid=3&cid=4

    What is Language Integrated Query?

    LINQ is a Microsoft .NET Framework component that adds native data
    querying capabilities to .NET languages.
    Microsoft LINQ defines a set of query operators that can be used to
    query, project and filter data in arrays, enumerable classes, XML,
    relational database, and third party data sources. While it allows any
    data source to be queried, it requires that the data be encapsulated as
    objects. So, if the data source does not natively store data as objects,
    the data must be mapped to the object domain. Queries written using the
    query operators are executed either by the LINQ query processing engine
    or, via an extension mechanism, handed over to LINQ providers which
    either implement a separate query processing engine or translate to a
    different format to be executed on a separate data store (such as on a
    database server as SQL queries). The results of a query are returned as
    a collection of in-memory objects that can be enumerated using a
    standard iterator function such as C#'s foreach.
    Many of the concepts that LINQ has introduced were originally tested in
    Microsoft's C? research project. LINQ was released as a part of .NET
    Framework 3.5 on November 19, 2007.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_Integrated_Query

    What is Object Relational Mapping?

    (ORM) is a programming technique for converting data between
    incompatible type systems in relational databases and object-oriented
    programming languages. This creates, in effect, a "virtual object
    database," which can be used from within the programming language. There
    are both free and commercial packages available that perform
    object-relational mapping, although some programmers opt to create their
    own ORM tools.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-RM

    If you're using LINQ, then dump the datasets and use an object or
    collections of objects.

    LINQ-2-SQL or LINQ-2-Object used with the ADO.NET Entity Framework
    allows one to use objects.

    What is Linq-to-SQL?

    LINQ to SQL, a component of Visual Studio Code Name "Orcas", provides a
    run-time infrastructure for managing relational data as objects without
    losing the ability to query. It does this by translating
    language-integrated queries into SQL for execution by the database, and
    then translating the tabular results back into objects you define. Your
    application is then free to manipulate the objects while LINQ to SQL
    stays in the background tracking your changes automatically.

    What is ADO.NET Entities framework?

    ADO.NET Entity Framework is an object-relational mapping (ORM) framework
    for the .NET Framework. This framework is Microsoft's first ORM offering
    for the .NET Framework. While Microsoft provided objects to manage the
    Object-relational impedance mismatch (such as a DataSet).
    ADO.NET Entity Framework is included with .NET Framework 3.5 Service
    Pack 1 and Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1, released on 11 Aug 2008.
    It also includes the capability of executing LINQ against ADO.NET Entity
    Framework entities

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADO.NET_Entity_Framework

    If you want to put it altogether, then make the $79 investment for yourself.

    http://www.dofactory.com/Framework/Framework.aspx

    Mr. Arnold, Jun 29, 2010
  7. Mario

    Mario Guest

    "Mr. Arnold" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > application is then free to manipulate the objects while LINQ to SQL stays
    > in the background tracking your changes automatically.

    > What is ADO.NET Entities framework?
    >
    > ADO.NET Entity Framework is an object-relational mapping (ORM) framework
    > for the .NET Framework. This framework is Microsoft's first ORM offering
    > for the .NET Framework. While Microsoft provided objects to manage the
    > Object-relational impedance mismatch (such as a DataSet).
    > ADO.NET Entity Framework is included with .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack
    > 1 and Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1, released on 11 Aug 2008. It also
    > includes the capability of executing LINQ against ADO.NET Entity Framework
    > entities
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADO.NET_Entity_Framework
    >

    > If you want to put it altogether, then make the $79 investment for

    Thank you, I will read more about ADO.NET. Until now, I can't figure the
    practical advantage of ADO if you consider the way how I update/insert
    database in my web application:
    //string sql =
    // "INSERT [dbo].[OsobniPodaci] ([ime], [ime0], [grad],
    [posta], [oib], [nosac], [boja])" +
    // " VALUES (@ime, @ime0, @grad, @posta, @oib, @nosac,
    @boja)";
    //using (
    //SqlConnection myConnection = new
    SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["BazaConnectionString"].ConnectionString))
    //{
    // SqlCommand myCommand = new SqlCommand(sql, myConnection);

    // //Upis osobnih podataka u bazu
    // //Koristim sesion varijablu
    // //ovi sa znakom @ su u gornjem stringu sql, kako se ne bi
    ponavljao
    // myCommand.Parameters.Add(new SqlParameter("@ime",
    // (string)Session["ime"]));
    // myCommand.Parameters.Add(new SqlParameter("@ime0",
    // (string)Session["ime0"]));
    // myCommand.Parameters.Add(new SqlParameter("@grad",
    // (string)Session["grad"]));
    // myCommand.Parameters.Add(new SqlParameter("@posta",
    // (string)Session["posta"]));
    // myCommand.Parameters.Add(new SqlParameter("@oib",
    // (string)Session["oib"]));
    // //Upis nosaca i boje otiska u bazu
    // myCommand.Parameters.Add(new SqlParameter("@nosac",
    // (string)Session["nosac"]));
    // myCommand.Parameters.Add(new SqlParameter("@boja",
    // (string)Session["boja"]));

    // myConnection.Open();
    // myCommand.ExecuteNonQuery();

    // //uzmi ID reda, odnosno IDNarudzbe
    // //myCommand = new SqlCommand("SET @IDNarudzbe =
    CAST(SCOPE_IDENTITY() AS INT)",
    // // myConnection);
    // //myCommand.ExecuteNonQuery();

    // myConnection.Close();

    Mario, Jun 30, 2010
  8. Mario

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Mario wrote:
> [...]

    >> for the .NET Framework. This framework is Microsoft's first ORM offering
    >> for the .NET Framework. While Microsoft provided objects to manage the
    >> Object-relational impedance mismatch (such as a DataSet).
    >> ADO.NET Entity Framework is included with .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack
    >> 1 and Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1, released on 11 Aug 2008. It also
    >> includes the capability of executing LINQ against ADO.NET Entity Framework
    >> entities
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADO.NET_Entity_Framework
    >>

    >> If you want to put it altogether, then make the $79 investment for
    >> yourself.
    >>
    >> http://www.dofactory.com/Framework/Framework.aspx
    >>

    > Thank you, I will read more about ADO.NET. Until now, I can't figure the
    > practical advantage of ADO if you consider the way how I update/insert

    Well, if you use Linq-2-SQL or ADO.NET Entity Framework, it would do it
    for you with the CRUD operations, which they still both use ADO.NET and
    T-SQL behind the scene.

    And there is no practical advantage with ADO.NET, it's a requirement a
    must, because without it, you can do nothing with a database -- period.

    If you're unhappy about using ADO.NET SQL Command Object, then you
    should look at the two solutions above.

    Mr. Arnold, Jun 30, 2010