    Thank you,

    --
    Jon Sagara
    Jon Sagara, Oct 9, 2004

  2. Jon Sagara

    Scott Allen Guest

    Hi Jon:

    You could grab the data through the XMLData property with client side
    javascript, i.e.:

    var data = FormName.PivotTableName.XMLData;

    Then put the data into a hidden inout and POST to the server.

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/

    Scott Allen, Oct 9, 2004

  3. But then the user could only ever saye one pivot. Users typically build
    several pivot tables that they want to refer to.
    It would make more sense to let them save XMLData on their machine.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=, Nov 19, 2004
  4. Jon Sagara

    Scott Allen Guest

    I agree, but it's very difficult to interact with the client machine
    from a web application. There are issues of trust and permissions to
    overcome in the browser and the operating system before writing and
    reading to the hard disk on another computer. If this is an Intranet
    app you'll have more options available since your server can be
    trusted.

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

    Scott Allen, Nov 19, 2004
  5. Which other options are you thinking of? I just saw an article where you can
    use Excel as an ActiveX on the client to perform the save operation. Do you
    know of other ActiveX that are capable of the same task? Is it easy to write
    such an ActiveX?
    In my case (Intranet app) the server is definitely trusted.
    Here is the link to the article:
    http://www.aspnetpro.com/NewsletterArticle/2003/09/asp200309so_l/asp200309so_l.asp

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=, Nov 20, 2004
  6. Jon Sagara

    Scott Allen Guest

    Yes, that is along the lines of what I am thinking of. In an Intranet
    app it is a lot easier to configure all the client desktops to trust
    your application and let it download controls.

    Instead of an ActiveX control, you might consider writing a WinForms
    application or control that you can deploy to the client over through
    the browser with permissions to write to their hard drive.
    See:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/programming/winforms/smartclient.aspx

    You might want to investigate this article too:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/10/OLAP/
    Build an OLAP Reporting App in ASP.NET Using SQL Server 2000 Analysis
    Services and Office XP

    HTH,

    Scott Allen, Nov 21, 2004