saving file from asp.net

helpful sql

Hi all,
I dynamically generate Word Documents from my web application using
XmlDocument object and need to save them on a mapped network drive. I use
the Save method of XmlDocument object to save documents. Ican save them
successfully on local drive on web server. But when I try to save them on a
mapped network drive, I get permission denied errors. I made sure that
ASPNET had full access right in the folder where I need to save documents. I
also tried using UNC path, but that also does not work. Can someone please
point to what I may be doing wrong and explain the whole setup process for
being able to save documents from asp.net application?

Thanks in advance.

Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]

I would not grant the ASPNET user the rights you need. Rather, I would
impersonate a user that has the appropriate rights.

Also, what are the details of the error that you are getting?

Brian Henry

ASPNET does not have directory level access to your user folders obviously..
as for impersionation... you would have a problem when the user changed
their password and would need to update the impersionated password each time
it changed... so you'd have your choice between assigning ASPNET write
access to the folder you are trying to work with, or impersonating a user
and making sure you know their correct current password to gain access..

Willy Denoyette [MVP]

helpful sql said:
Hi all,
I dynamically generate Word Documents from my web application using
XmlDocument object and need to save them on a mapped network drive. I use
the Save method of XmlDocument object to save documents. Ican save them
successfully on local drive on web server. But when I try to save them on
a mapped network drive, I get permission denied errors. I made sure that
ASPNET had full access right in the folder where I need to save documents.
I also tried using UNC path, but that also does not work. Can someone
please point to what I may be doing wrong and explain the whole setup
process for being able to save documents from asp.net application?

Thanks in advance.

How did you manage to give aspnet access rights to a mapped network drive?
ASPNET is a local account, so it's not possible to grant right to this
account on another server!! (Note that ASPNET on one server is not the same
account as ASPNET on another server).

What you can do is impersonate a domain account in your web application. Or
much better "delegate" the document creation and writing to a COM+
(EnterpriseServices) server type application. This application could run
with domain account credentials valid to access the remote share, and can
implement fine grained access permissions through role membership.

Willy.

hashimisayed

Willy is correct here. I would add that if you decide to use
impersonation, you need to make sure that you use a domain account
whose password does not expire; almost all enterprises expire passwords
every so often for security purposes.

sayed

Willy Denoyette [MVP]

Willy is correct here. I would add that if you decide to use
impersonation, you need to make sure that you use a domain account
whose password does not expire; almost all enterprises expire passwords
every so often for security purposes.

sayed

One (good) enterprise policy is not to use normal "domain accounts" at all
for services, instead you should use special DOMAIN accounts created as a
Kerberos Service Account (SPN's).

Willy.