Saving local files in javascript under Opera

André Wagner

Hello,

I'm writing a HTML/javascript application who will run locally. I want
to save to a local file.

If I were using IE, I would do this way:

var fso = new ActiveXObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject");
var file = fso_OpenTextFile(filePath,2,-1,0);
file.Write(content);
file.Close();

If I were using Mozilla, I would do like this:

netscape.security.PrivilegeManager.enablePrivilege("UniversalXPConnect");
var file =
Components.classes["@mozilla.org/file/local;1"].createInstance(Components.interfaces.nsILocalFile);
file.initWithPath(filePath);
if (!file.exists()) file.create(0, 0664);
var out =
Components.classes["@mozilla.org/network/file-output-stream;1"].createInstance(Components.interfaces.nsIFileOutputStream);
out.init(file, 0x20 | 0x02, 00004,null);
out.write(content, content.length);
out.flush();
out.close();

But I couldn't figure out how to do it using Opera. Does anyone has any
idea?

Thank you in advance,

André

Randy Webb

André Wagner said the following on 4/24/2006 1:10 PM:
[...]

<h1>Copy and paste this text to your text editor and save it:</h1>
<textarea>Data to be saved here</textarea>

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

André Wagner said:
I'm writing a HTML/javascript application who will run locally. I want
to save to a local file. .....
But I couldn't figure out how to do it using Opera. Does anyone has any
idea?

Check out TwiddlyWiki (google to find it). They use Java through
Livescript to access files. It needs configuration to allow that, but
it works.

/L

Martin Honnen

André Wagner wrote:

I'm writing a HTML/javascript application who will run locally. I want
to save to a local file.
But I couldn't figure out how to do it using Opera. Does anyone has any
idea?

You could try it using LiveConnect making JavaScript to Java calls. But
I am not sure that works, it might cause Java security exceptions.