Saving profile information for a specific user when not logged in

daokfella

I want to be able to store profile information for a user when they
sign up for an account...but BEFORE they can log in. Can this be done
using any of the built-in profile methods?

Here's my current sign-up procedure:

1. User creates an account with username, password, e-mail and other
information that I want to store in profile.

2. User is created as inactive and NOT logged in. Besides the profile
stuff, I use the membership object to accomplish this. I want to
store profile information right here while they are NOT logged in.

3. I send an e-mail to the user with an activate link. The link is to
an activate page with the UserId guid added as a querystring.

4. After visiting the activate link (and thus validating their e-mail
account) they are activated. I read the guid from the querystring.
Using the membership object, I look up the user by the guid and
activate them.

I'm using a custom SQLTableProvider for the profile info (storing in
separate columns), so I know I could just use my custom sprocs to
insert the data. But I was wondering if I could do so using the
default provider object. None of my profile items allow anonymous. I'm
wondering if I can load a profile for a specific user and set the
properties.

Thanks,

Jason

Guest

Short answer:
<system.web>
<anonymousIdentification enabled="true"/>
<trust level="Medium"/>
<profile >
<properties>
<add name="Name" allowAnonymous="true" />
<add name="Age" allowAnonymous="true" type="System.Int16"/>
</properties>
</profile>
<compilation debug="true"/>
</system.web>

--Peter

daokfella

Yes, that will allow me to store profile information. But how does
that create a profile record with the same userId as the membership I
just created?