saving settings on a page?

Kourosh

I have a log file that is viewed on the local machine. There are some
settings on the html page that allow the user to specify how the file
is viewed. I'm just wnodering what are my options in saving these
settings (so they could be reloaded next time the user loads the page).
Writing to registry, a file, or a cookie? what's the right approach?

Randy Webb

Kourosh said the following on 5/19/2006 7:13 PM:
I have a log file that is viewed on the local machine. There are some
settings on the html page that allow the user to specify how the file
is viewed. I'm just wnodering what are my options in saving these
settings (so they could be reloaded next time the user loads the page).
Writing to registry, a file, or a cookie? what's the right approach?

Save the users settings in a database on the server and when they login
you retrieve those settings and display it accordingly.

Kourosh

umm what database what server?
It's a local machine. Each machine keeps its own settings. So I
basically want the user to be able to save the settings on that HTML
page and to be able to reload that settings if they open that page
again....
any solutions?

Randy Webb

Kourosh said the following on 5/24/2006 12:53 AM:
umm what database what server?

The one I referred to in the post that you didn't quote.

"Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at
the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at the bottom of the
article headers.

It's a local machine. Each machine keeps its own settings.

<sigh> Basics 101

HTML page comes from the server.
Server saves user settings from a settings page.
Server produces HTML file custom suited to each user.

If you want local settings, you could try setting a cookie with
preferences saved in the cookie.

Kourosh

Randy said:
Kourosh said the following on 5/24/2006 12:53 AM:

The one I referred to in the post that you didn't quote.

"Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at
the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at the bottom of the
article headers.

<sigh> Basics 101

HTML page comes from the server.
well this one is only run on the local disk:D no servers here :D
Server saves user settings from a settings page.
Server produces HTML file custom suited to each user.

If you want local settings, you could try setting a cookie with
preferences saved in the cookie.

ok thanks for the suggestion then :) I'll look into cookies! yum