    is viewed. I'm just wnodering what are my options in saving these
    settings (so they could be reloaded next time the user loads the page).
    Writing to registry, a file, or a cookie? what's the right approach?
    Kourosh, May 20, 2006

  2. Kourosh

    Randy Webb Guest

    Kourosh said the following on 5/19/2006 7:13 PM:
    > I have a log file that is viewed on the local machine. There are some
    > settings on the html page that allow the user to specify how the file
    > is viewed. I'm just wnodering what are my options in saving these
    > settings (so they could be reloaded next time the user loads the page).
    > Writing to registry, a file, or a cookie? what's the right approach?

    Save the users settings in a database on the server and when they login
    you retrieve those settings and display it accordingly.

    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, May 20, 2006

  3. Kourosh

    Kourosh Guest

    umm what database what server?
    It's a local machine. Each machine keeps its own settings. So I
    basically want the user to be able to save the settings on that HTML
    page and to be able to reload that settings if they open that page
    again....
    any solutions?
    Kourosh, May 24, 2006
  4. Kourosh

    Randy Webb Guest

    Kourosh said the following on 5/24/2006 12:53 AM:
    > umm what database what server?

    The one I referred to in the post that you didn't quote.

    "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at
    the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at the bottom of the
    article headers.

    > It's a local machine. Each machine keeps its own settings.

    <sigh> Basics 101

    HTML page comes from the server.
    Server saves user settings from a settings page.
    Server produces HTML file custom suited to each user.

    If you want local settings, you could try setting a cookie with
    preferences saved in the cookie.

    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, May 25, 2006
  5. Kourosh

    Kourosh Guest

    Randy Webb wrote:
    > Kourosh said the following on 5/24/2006 12:53 AM:
    > > umm what database what server?

    > The one I referred to in the post that you didn't quote.
    >
    > If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use the
    > "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at
    > the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at the bottom of the
    > article headers.

    > > It's a local machine. Each machine keeps its own settings.

    > <sigh> Basics 101
    >
    > HTML page comes from the server.

    well this one is only run on the local disk:D no servers here :D

    > Server saves user settings from a settings page.
    > Server produces HTML file custom suited to each user.
    >
    > If you want local settings, you could try setting a cookie with
    > preferences saved in the cookie.

    ok thanks for the suggestion then :) I'll look into cookies! yum
    Kourosh, May 27, 2006