Saving URLs to HDD

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Øyvind Granberg, Aug 31, 2008.

  1. Hi...

    I know this may not be the right NG, but please point me in the right
    direction if I'm too off.

    I have these hundreds of webpages I have made myself, containing more than
    10 000 links to various places on the net.
    What I want to do, is to save these links to my HDD.

    In IE7 I can drag one and one from the browser and into the proper folder
    and it is saved as a shortcut.
    So far so good.
    Now I use FF3 to do it, because there I don't have to answer yes every darn
    time....

    But what I would like do do is to select a batch of links and save them as
    individual shortcuts on my HDD.
    I have tried different addons in FF3, but they all save then into a
    txt-file, and that seems not to be the right solution for me. The FF3 addon
    Linky have a bug, and do not respond when I try to save selected links.

    Is there a browser which can do this for me?
    Is there some browsers addon which can do this for me?
    Is there a program which can do this for me?
    Or do I have to go through all the pages and drag the links one by one onto
    the harddisk?
    Can this be done in Dreamweaver?

    This request is also published in microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
    but no reply yet

    --

    Zadig Galbaras
    (nick)
    Øyvind Granberg, Aug 31, 2008

  2. Øyvind Granberg

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Aug 31, 10:21 pm, Øyvind Granberg <> wrote:
    > Hi...
    >
    > I know this may not be the right NG, but please point me in the right
    > direction if I'm too off.
    >
    > I have these hundreds of webpages I have made myself, containing more than
    > 10 000 links to various places on the net.
    > What I want to do, is to save these links to my HDD.
    >
    > In IE7 I can drag one and one from the browser and into the proper folder
    > and it is saved as a shortcut.
    > So far so good.
    > Now I use FF3 to do it, because there I don't have to answer yes every darn
    > time....
    >
    > But what I would like do do is to select a batch of links and save them as
    > individual shortcuts on my HDD.
    > I have tried different addons in FF3, but they all save then into a
    > txt-file, and that seems not to be the right solution for me. The FF3 addon
    > Linky have a bug, and do not respond when I try to save selected links.
    >
    > Is there a browser which can do this for me?
    > Is there some browsers addon which can do this for me?
    > Is there a program which can do this for me?
    > Or do I have to go through all the pages and drag the links one by one onto
    > the harddisk?
    > Can this be done in Dreamweaver?
    >
    > This request is also published in microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
    > but no reply yet

    http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=Link shortcut extension for Firefox&meta=
    Take a look at the fist result.
    Chaddy2222, Aug 31, 2008

  3. Øyvind Granberg

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Øyvind Granberg wrote:

    > I know this may not be the right NG, but please point me in the right
    > direction if I'm too off.
    >
    > I have these hundreds of webpages I have made myself, containing more
    > than 10 000 links to various places on the net.
    > What I want to do, is to save these links to my HDD.

    I'm not sure what you mean, but to get a report of all the links in a
    website you can use Xenu http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html

    --
    Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Aug 31, 2008
  4. Couldn't find what I was looking for.
    The addon Create Shortcut only creates a shortcut to the current page.
    I don''t need an addon to do that... hehe

    --

    Zadig Galbaras
    (nick)

    "Chaddy2222" <> skrev i
    nyhetsmeldingen:

    Øyvind Granberg, Aug 31, 2008
  5. No.... I'm not looking for a test links software either....

    --

    Zadig Galbaras
    (nick)

    48baefc2$0$93933$ ...

    Øyvind Granberg, Aug 31, 2008
  6. There seems to be some misunderstandig about what I am looking for.

    Here it is again:
    Is there a way to select a list of links in a webpage and save them as
    individual shortcuts on my harddisk?

    --

    Zadig Galbaras
    (nick)

    48ba8cdc$ ...

    Øyvind Granberg, Aug 31, 2008
  7. On 2008-08-31, Øyvind Granberg wrote:

    > Is there a way to select a list of links in a webpage and save them as
    > individual shortcuts on my harddisk?

    You can get a list of the links in a web page with "lynx -dump".
    For example:

    lynx -dump http://woodbine-gerrard.com |
    sed '
    1,/^References/d
    /http:/!d
    '

    How you use that to put a shortcut on your desktop depends on what
    system you are using.

    Author:
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Sep 1, 2008