Saving web pages

Discussion in 'HTML' started by John Dean, May 21, 2005.

  1. John Dean

    John Dean Guest

    Blinky told me to do this ...

    Any idea why I can save some web pages and not others? Using XP Home /
    IE6 I prefer to save as "Web Archive, Single file (*.mht) but would
    settle for "Web Page, complete (*.htm, *.html)
    Most pages work with that but some return error message

    "The web page could not be saved to the selected location"

    The location for the attempted save is always the same - a "Web Pages"
    folder on my desktop into which all web pages are initially saved.

    An example is

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245429/goofs

    This won't save as "single file" or as "complete". It will save as
    "web page, HTML only (*.htm, *.html)" but in that case doesn't save the
    containing a mini 404 error message "The page you are looking for is
    currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical
    difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings."

    Any ideas why some pages work as single files and some don't?
    (Obviously, all save as text so I'm not complaining about not getting
    stuff, just wondering why I can't get it as I would like it)

    --
    John Dean
    Oxford

    John Dean, May 21, 2005

  2. John Dean wrote:

    > Blinky told me to do this ...

    In the group where this was first asked, I guessed that it might be
    iframe related. But being a mere sprat on such a topic, I promised
    John far better ideas from the wizards here. :)

    > Any idea why I can save some web pages and not others? Using XP Home /
    > IE6 I prefer to save as "Web Archive, Single file (*.mht) but would
    > settle for "Web Page, complete (*.htm, *.html)
    > Most pages work with that but some return error message

    > "The web page could not be saved to the selected location"

    > The location for the attempted save is always the same - a "Web Pages"
    > folder on my desktop into which all web pages are initially saved.

    > An example is

    > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245429/goofs

    > This won't save as "single file" or as "complete". It will save as
    > "web page, HTML only (*.htm, *.html)" but in that case doesn't save the
    > containing a mini 404 error message "The page you are looking for is
    > currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical
    > difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings."

    > Any ideas why some pages work as single files and some don't?
    > (Obviously, all save as text so I'm not complaining about not getting
    > stuff, just wondering why I can't get it as I would like it)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 21, 2005

  3. John Dean

    John Dean Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > John Dean wrote:
    >
    >> Blinky told me to do this ...

    > In the group where this was first asked, I guessed that it might be
    > iframe related. But being a mere sprat on such a topic, I promised
    > John far better ideas from the wizards here. :)

    OK, Blinks, there a Plan B?
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford

    John Dean, May 23, 2005
  4. John Dean wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> John Dean wrote:

    >>> Blinky told me to do this ...

    >> In the group where this was first asked, I guessed that it might be
    >> iframe related. But being a mere sprat on such a topic, I promised
    >> John far better ideas from the wizards here. :)

    > OK, Blinks, there a Plan B?

    Unfortunately, I don't have one, John. Sorry about that. I never
    thought you'd get no help here.

    But we might have that mouse workin', soon, over on the other group, eh?
    ;)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 23, 2005
  5. John Dean

    kchayka Guest

    John Dean wrote:

    > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245429/goofs
    >
    > It will save as
    > "web page, HTML only (*.htm, *.html)" but in that case doesn't save the

    The "Sponsored Links" box is in an iframe, so it *should* be excluded.

    The iframe could be a reason why IE won't save the page in other ways,
    but I don't really know. FWIW, Firefox saves it as "complete", including
    the iframe.

    kchayka, May 23, 2005
  6. John Dean

    John Smith Guest