Scalability of the Connected / Disconnected Model (Question)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by dejavue82@yahoo.com, Jun 25, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello fellow programmers!

    My question concerns the scalability of database access. In coldfusion
    (or php for that matter) for example, there seems to be only the
    connected model for accessing a DB. On the other hand, there is asp.net
    2.0, which provides disconnected and connected access.

    Question: Would databinding to controls directly, in ASP.NET 2.0
    (without the manual coding of ADO.net), be as affective (scalable) as
    using the connected data access model in PHP/Coldfusion (which seems to
    be the only way to access the db in these languages)?

    Thank you for your time and help.

    Regards,

    Jim Light

    , Jun 25, 2006

  2. Not an apples to apples comparison. DataBinding
    is often slower in .NET that writing code to manually
    populate controls. Since you can bind to a DataSet,
    DataTable, etc. that are disconnected, your question
    about connected versus disconnected scenarios
    has very little to do with data binding.

    Connection pooling in .NET is quite effective
    and is the preferred method in web applications
    versus keeping connections open through the
    page lifecycle and prevent other threads
    from grabbing that connection out of the pool.

    --
    Robbe Morris - 2004-2006 Microsoft MVP C#
    Earn money answering .NET questions

    Robbe Morris [C# MVP], Jun 26, 2006