Scene Management

Discussion in 'C++' started by Stephan Rose, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. Stephan Rose

    Stephan Rose Guest

    I'm having some dififculties coming up with a good method of managing
    my scene. The small objects 'n stuff really aren't a problem. The
    problem is the big object. The terrain (most of these are outdoor
    scenes).

    The terrain mesh can easily reach 2 million or more faces. So
    obviously I'm going to need some kind of space partitioning to handle
    it. Went with an octree and it works beautifully, as long as I'm
    having only one texture on the terrain. Obviously this would be kinda
    boring! So I'd somehow need a method of subdividing this mesh and
    having multiple texture maps for it. I've though of dividing the mesh
    into multiple meshes based on texture, then subdividing those. But I'd
    end up with a few dozen octrees that would have to be traversed every
    frame that I'm afraid I'd just kill my performance that way by
    spending too much time traversing the trees. And not only that but by
    doing that, I'd also end up with multiple torn apart meshes stretched
    over the entire scene bounding-box wise, which would kill the
    efficencty of the octree algorithm.

    So what's a good solution here? Would BSP trees maybe be a better
    solution? Or something else I haven't thought of yet, don't know of
    yet? :)

    Thanks,

    Stephan Rose

    Stephan Rose, Jul 19, 2003

  2. "Stephan Rose" <> wrote...
    > I'm having some dififculties coming up with a good method of managing
    > my scene. [...]
    >
    > So what's a good solution here? Would BSP trees maybe be a better
    > solution? Or something else I haven't thought of yet, don't know of
    > yet? :)

    Methinks you're in a wrong newsgroup. Try comp.graphics.algorithms.

    Victor

    Victor Bazarov, Jul 19, 2003