Scheduled trigger of an ASP page?

Paul D.Smith

Apologies if this is not the best group for this question. Please point me
elsewhere if required.

I have access to an ASP based system where a supervisor has to periodically
"press the button" to generate a list based on a database held behind the
webserver. Unfortunately, people being what they are, this is sometimes
forgotten so I'm investigating whether this can be automated.

My hands are tied slightly in that I can access the webpages themselves,
most of which contain ASP, and I can run something on the surpervisor's PC,
for example via "Task Scheduler" to download pages. But what tool should I
use? I can't see any way of triggering Internet Explorer is "automated
mode" to just trigger the page so is there some tool specifically designed
for this job?

To be clear, I can split out the "button pushed" processing into an ASP
based page that has no output and just creates the list (which is then
e-mailed around). What I need though, seems to be to access this "no output
page" as if I attempted to read it using Internet Explorer - I think!

Thanks for any suggestions,
Paul DS.

Sven Pernils

I don't think it even can be done. Triggers are usualy made in SQL server.

Sven

AJ

If you want to automate tasks that are performed in ASP scripts the
traditional way to do this is to copy the ASP code into a new text file
with a .VBS extension. You will need to make a few additional changes to
it such as changing any reference to "Server." to "Wscript." and
removing any references to the Request and Resposne objects as well.

Take a look at the following and see if this will suit your needs.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188135

If so, VBS scripts can be executed as scheduled tasks just like any
program except you dont need to run IE to do it. You just execute the
VBS script its self.

*** Sent via WindowsHostList http://www.windowshostlist.com ***

Paul D.Smith

AJ said:
If you want to automate tasks that are performed in ASP scripts the
traditional way to do this is to copy the ASP code into a new text file
with a .VBS extension. You will need to make a few additional changes to
it such as changing any reference to "Server." to "Wscript." and
removing any references to the Request and Resposne objects as well.

Take a look at the following and see if this will suit your needs.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188135

If so, VBS scripts can be executed as scheduled tasks just like any
program except you dont need to run IE to do it. You just execute the
VBS script its self.

*** Sent via WindowsHostList http://www.windowshostlist.com ***

Sounds like what I need.

Thanks,