Scheduled trigger of an ASP page?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Paul D.Smith, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. Paul D.Smith

    Paul D.Smith Guest

    Apologies if this is not the best group for this question. Please point me
    elsewhere if required.

    I have access to an ASP based system where a supervisor has to periodically
    "press the button" to generate a list based on a database held behind the
    webserver. Unfortunately, people being what they are, this is sometimes
    forgotten so I'm investigating whether this can be automated.

    My hands are tied slightly in that I can access the webpages themselves,
    most of which contain ASP, and I can run something on the surpervisor's PC,
    for example via "Task Scheduler" to download pages. But what tool should I
    use? I can't see any way of triggering Internet Explorer is "automated
    mode" to just trigger the page so is there some tool specifically designed
    for this job?

    To be clear, I can split out the "button pushed" processing into an ASP
    based page that has no output and just creates the list (which is then
    e-mailed around). What I need though, seems to be to access this "no output
    page" as if I attempted to read it using Internet Explorer - I think!

    Thanks for any suggestions,
    Paul DS.

    --
    Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.
    Paul D.Smith, Oct 12, 2004

  2. Paul D.Smith

    Sven Pernils Guest

    I don't think it even can be done. Triggers are usualy made in SQL server.

    Sven

    Sven Pernils, Oct 12, 2004

  3. Paul D.Smith

    AJ Guest

    If you want to automate tasks that are performed in ASP scripts the
    traditional way to do this is to copy the ASP code into a new text file
    with a .VBS extension. You will need to make a few additional changes to
    it such as changing any reference to "Server." to "Wscript." and
    removing any references to the Request and Resposne objects as well.

    Take a look at the following and see if this will suit your needs.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188135

    If so, VBS scripts can be executed as scheduled tasks just like any
    program except you dont need to run IE to do it. You just execute the
    VBS script its self.

    *** Sent via WindowsHostList http://www.windowshostlist.com ***
    AJ, Oct 12, 2004
  4. Paul D.Smith

    Paul D.Smith Guest

    "AJ" <> wrote in message
    > If you want to automate tasks that are performed in ASP scripts the
    > traditional way to do this is to copy the ASP code into a new text file
    > with a .VBS extension. You will need to make a few additional changes to
    > it such as changing any reference to "Server." to "Wscript." and
    > removing any references to the Request and Resposne objects as well.
    >
    > Take a look at the following and see if this will suit your needs.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188135
    >
    > If so, VBS scripts can be executed as scheduled tasks just like any
    > program except you dont need to run IE to do it. You just execute the
    > VBS script its self.
    >
    > *** Sent via WindowsHostList http://www.windowshostlist.com ***

    Sounds like what I need.

    Thanks,