Schema Library Datamodels

The Magpie

Quickie question - I'm building data models that I will be including in
"real-world" schemas. Possibly several different ones which include one
or more of the data models each. So, the models are to be a sort of
library of schemas.

The question is; is it best to use a namespace for the library schemas
or to create them with no namespace so that they can adopt the namespace
of the schemas they are included in later?

Joe Kesselman

The said:
The question is; is it best to use a namespace for the library schemas
or to create them with no namespace so that they can adopt the namespace
of the schemas they are included in later?

Some interesting discussion of that topic, and the tradeoffs among
various ways of modularizing schema designs, appeared in the page
http://www.xfront.com/GlobalVersusLocal.html

I suspect there are other opinions elsewhere on the web, if you search
for "xml schema best practice" or "xml schema modular design" or similar
phrases. And I'd bet there's an article or two on
http://www.ibm.com/xml, just because the've gotten contributions on just
about every possible topic. (Not all of which I agree with, please note.)

Stan Kitsis [MSFT]

I would recommend staying away from chamelion includes and using a namespace
for your library.

--
Stan Kitsis
Program Manager, XML Technologies

The Magpie

Stan said:
I would recommend staying away from chamelion includes and using a namespace
for your library.
I love that term "chameleon includes"....