Schema of xml

Bill Cunningham

I know xml stores and transmits data. But I wrote a short piece of code
that the browser complained about.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<gov>judicial</gov>
<j> sandra o'conner </j>

It didn't know what the tags meant. the xml syntax looks good to me. How do
I provide the document with the meaning of the tags? CCS, I don't know how
to start there. Xpath. I've heard of.

Bill

Johannes Koch

Bill said:
I know xml stores and transmits data. But I wrote a short piece of code
that the browser complained about.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<gov>judicial</gov>
<j> sandra o'conner </j>

It's not well-formed. YOu must have exactly one root element.

Patrick TJ McPhee

% <?xml version="1.0"?>
%
% <gov>judicial</gov>
% <j> sandra o'conner </j>

% It didn't know what the tags meant. the xml syntax looks good to me.

It's not good.

% How do
% I provide the document with the meaning of the tags? CCS, I don't know how
% to start there. Xpath. I've heard of.

Once you sort out the format of the data, you need to write a style
sheet if you want it to be displayed reasonably. If the data is
suitable, you could use CSS for this, otherwise you need to use XSLT
to convert the data into either html or some other XML format which
is suitable for formatting using CSS.

You get started by finding a tutorial somewhere and reading it.