Schizophrenic Internet Explorer - Suckerfish Drop-downs

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Neo Geshel, Oct 21, 2004.

  1. Neo Geshel

    Neo Geshel Guest

    I am trying to create some suckerfish drop-down menus, and Internet
    Explorer is giving me no end of grief. It works on one page, but if I
    copy the page and change its file name, suckerfish suddenly doesn't work!!

    I have noticed that the effect is particularly bad when the JavaScript
    (that allows IE to work around its appallingly bad support of web
    standards) that makes Suckerfish work for IE is in an external JS file,
    but even placing it inline hasn't helped this last time.

    I was wondering if anyone has a bulletproof way of working with Internet
    Explorer that forces it to work with the suckerfish drop-downs.

    Working page, fully 100% functional menu:
    http://publishing.kabis.net/menu.html

    Non-working page, with identical HTML & CSS (for the menu):
    http://publishing.kabis.net/index.aspx

    ....Geshel
    My reply-to is an automatically monitored spam honeypot. Do not use it
    unless you want to be blacklisted by SpamCop. Please reply to my first
    name at my last name dot org.

    Neo Geshel, Oct 21, 2004

  2. Neo Geshel

    enickma Guest

    enickma, Oct 21, 2004

  3. Neo Geshel

    Jim Higson Guest

    enickma wrote:

    >> Working page, fully 100% functional menu:
    >> http://publishing.kabis.net/menu.html
    >>
    >> Non-working page, with identical HTML & CSS (for the menu):
    >> http://publishing.kabis.net/index.aspx

    > Get rid of the first two lines of index.aspx and it should work. <!DOCTYPE
    > should always be the first line of an (x)HTML document.

    But only because IE is broken and sees an XML prolog and goes into quirks
    mode.

    (I don't know if the OP has prologs, just pointing out that by the spec the
    DOCTYPE isnt' always the first bit)

    Jim Higson, Oct 21, 2004
  4. Neo Geshel

    enickma Guest

    > But only because IE is broken and sees an XML prolog and goes into quirks
    > mode.

    Ah okay, thanks -- didn't know that.

    enickma, Oct 23, 2004
  5. Neo Geshel

    Neo Geshel Guest

    enickma wrote:
    >>Working page, fully 100% functional menu:
    >>http://publishing.kabis.net/menu.html
    >>
    >>Non-working page, with identical HTML & CSS (for the menu):
    >>http://publishing.kabis.net/index.aspx

    > Get rid of the first two lines of index.aspx and it should work. <!DOCTYPE
    > should always be the first line of an (x)HTML document.

    Didn't work. No change. Please view main page again, XML declaration is
    now after doctype, menu still doesn't work.

    Neo Geshel, Oct 23, 2004
  6. Neo Geshel

    enickma Guest

    > Didn't work. No change. Please view main page again, XML declaration is
    > now after doctype, menu still doesn't work.

    There's still a blank line before the DOCTYPE.

    enickma, Oct 23, 2004
  7. Neo Geshel

    Neo Geshel Guest

    enickma wrote:
    >>Didn't work. No change. Please view main page again, XML declaration is
    >>now after doctype, menu still doesn't work.

    > There's still a blank line before the DOCTYPE.

    No more blank line. Still no change.

    Neo Geshel, Oct 24, 2004