    Does anyone know any websites that can get me around school
    censorship???
    , Jan 24, 2008

  2. Christian Guest

    schrieb:
    > Does anyone know any websites that can get me around school
    > censorship???

    www.sun.com is usually not censored also most information on Java comes
    through filters usually active in schools.

    If you need help on any Java topic, but webpages that answer are
    censored then you could ask the Question here. Also I would recommend
    you to talk to the people responsible for the filter if this happens
    more than once.

    Christian
    Christian, Jan 24, 2008

  3. bugbear Guest

    wrote:
    > Does anyone know any websites that can get me around school
    > censorship???

    You name and IP address has been reported.

    :)

    BugBear
    bugbear, Jan 24, 2008
  4. rossum Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 17:02:31 +0100, Christian <> wrote:

    > schrieb:
    >> Does anyone know any websites that can get me around school
    >> censorship???

    >www.sun.com is usually not censored also most information on Java comes
    >through filters usually active in schools.
    >
    >If you need help on any Java topic, but webpages that answer are
    >censored then you could ask the Question here. Also I would recommend
    >you to talk to the people responsible for the filter if this happens
    >more than once.

    It is quite possible for web filters to catch the wrong site. When I
    was one of the "people responsible for the filter" I had a request to
    release access to a site about West Indian cookery which was blocked.
    The front page of the site read: "Red Hot and Spicy"!

    rossum

    rossum, Jan 24, 2008
  5. Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 07:37:01 -0800 (PST), wrote,

    >Does anyone know any websites that can get me around school
    >censorship???

    I think the way around this would be to reserve a special domain
    suffix for adult content(and by that I don't mean home repairs), e.g.
    ..xxx and force such companies to register only there. That would make
    a filter trivially easy. That would leave you with sites like mine
    that offend Christians, prudes, hawks, C programmers etc but are not
    pornography.

    The problem is websites WANT to sneak by filters.
    --
    Roedy Green, Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary, http://mindprod.com
    Roedy Green, Jan 24, 2008
  6. On Jan 24, 10:51 am, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:

    > and force such companies to register only there.

    How, exactly, do you propose to do that? Particularly given that
    CCTLDs like .us and .to and so on are entirely free to set up their
    own rules about what kind of content is allowed within them.

    The .xxx/.porn/.adult TLD is one of those "good on the surface,
    fatally flawed in practice" ideas that doesn't really help for a
    number of reasons. Here's two:

    1. Whose definition of "adult content" are we using? Amsterdam's?
    Canada's? The US's? Afghanistan's? Israel's? Some worst-common-
    denominator mix of all of them?

    2. What impetus is there for any business to make it easier for
    people to interpose filters between them and potential customers?

    If non-pornographers are permitted to register in .xxx, there's also
    the problem of who gets to own, eg., microsoft.xxx -- is it the
    software giant, who want to protect their trademarks from dilution
    (even though porn is a totally unrelated market)? Or is it a hardcore
    tiny-and-limp fetish site?

    The supposed utility of a .xxx domain is even worse if registration
    within .xxx rather than .com or .ca or what-have-you is voluntary.
    While it's trivial to filter out all .xxx sites, filter vendors would
    still have to do the exact same level of filtering they do today to
    catch all the porn in other TLDs.

    Fundamentally, DNS is a weak tool for categorizing by content.

    -o
    Owen Jacobson, Jan 24, 2008
  7. Christian Guest

    rossum schrieb:
    > On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 17:02:31 +0100, Christian <> wrote:
    >
    >> schrieb:
    >>> Does anyone know any websites that can get me around school
    >>> censorship???

    >> www.sun.com is usually not censored also most information on Java comes
    >> through filters usually active in schools.
    >>
    >> If you need help on any Java topic, but webpages that answer are
    >> censored then you could ask the Question here. Also I would recommend
    >> you to talk to the people responsible for the filter if this happens
    >> more than once.

    > It is quite possible for web filters to catch the wrong site. When I
    > was one of the "people responsible for the filter" I had a request to
    > release access to a site about West Indian cookery which was blocked.
    > The front page of the site read: "Red Hot and Spicy"!
    >
    > rossum
    >

    >> Christian

    I was in school victim of such filters...
    its a bit stupid if hot or sex are blocked words...

    as without hot no hotmail ...

    Filters that just look for words are simply to stupid and should not be
    used. If you really want to code some good filter, a good approach might
    be to repolish your knowledge in AI. As this seems to be a job for an
    expert system.
    Christian, Jan 24, 2008
  8. rossum Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 23:36:13 +0100, Christian <> wrote:

    >rossum schrieb:

    >>> www.sun.com is usually not censored also most information on Java comes
    >>> through filters usually active in schools.
    >>>
    >>> If you need help on any Java topic, but webpages that answer are
    >>> censored then you could ask the Question here. Also I would recommend
    >>> you to talk to the people responsible for the filter if this happens
    >>> more than once.

    >> It is quite possible for web filters to catch the wrong site. When I
    >> was one of the "people responsible for the filter" I had a request to
    >> release access to a site about West Indian cookery which was blocked.
    >> The front page of the site read: "Red Hot and Spicy"!
    >>
    >> rossum
    >>

    >>> Christian

    >I was in school victim of such filters...
    >its a bit stupid if hot or sex are blocked words...
    >
    >as without hot no hotmail ...
    >
    >Filters that just look for words are simply to stupid and should not be
    >used. If you really want to code some good filter, a good approach might
    >be to repolish your knowledge in AI. As this seems to be a job for an
    >expert system.

    We got our firewall as part of a package, including various lists of
    blocked sites which could be switched in or out as required. I got
    the distinct impression that somewhere there were a lot of bored
    college students surfing websites and classifying them for a bit of
    money. Some of the classifications were bizarre. It was a bit more
    sophisticated than simply looking at the text contents of the page,
    that all too easily falls foul of the "Scunthorpe problem":
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scunthorpe_problem

    At the time I was working for a supermarket and the team developing
    recipes for the backs of the packets needed to access the site.

    rossum
    rossum, Jan 24, 2008
  9. Owen Jacobson wrote:
    > On Jan 24, 10:51 am, Roedy Green <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> and force such companies to register only there.

    > How, exactly, do you propose to do that? Particularly given that
    > CCTLDs like .us and .to and so on are entirely free to set up their
    > own rules about what kind of content is allowed within them.
    >
    > The .xxx/.porn/.adult TLD is one of those "good on the surface,
    > fatally flawed in practice" ideas that doesn't really help for a
    > number of reasons. Here's two:
    >
    > 1. Whose definition of "adult content" are we using? Amsterdam's?
    > Canada's? The US's? Afghanistan's? Israel's? Some worst-common-
    > denominator mix of all of them?
    >
    > 2. What impetus is there for any business to make it easier for
    > people to interpose filters between them and potential customers?
    >
    > If non-pornographers are permitted to register in .xxx, there's also
    > the problem of who gets to own, eg., microsoft.xxx -- is it the
    > software giant, who want to protect their trademarks from dilution
    > (even though porn is a totally unrelated market)? Or is it a hardcore
    > tiny-and-limp fetish site?
    >
    > The supposed utility of a .xxx domain is even worse if registration
    > within .xxx rather than .com or .ca or what-have-you is voluntary.
    > While it's trivial to filter out all .xxx sites, filter vendors would
    > still have to do the exact same level of filtering they do today to
    > catch all the porn in other TLDs.
    >
    > Fundamentally, DNS is a weak tool for categorizing by content.

    The idea was proposed by IANA in 2005, only to be killed by the US
    Commerce Dept because the American Religious Right lobby objected.

    The same would probably happen to any other proposed 'adult content' TLD.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK
    Martin Gregorie, Jan 25, 2008
  10. Peter Duniho Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:22:49 -0800, Martin Gregorie
    <> wrote:

    > The idea was proposed by IANA in 2005, only to be killed by the US
    > Commerce Dept because the American Religious Right lobby objected.

    Actually, the adult media industry opposed it as well.

    When those two groups both agree on something -- specifically, that it's a
    bad idea -- it's a pretty good bet it is. :)

    Pete
    Peter Duniho, Jan 25, 2008