    from Windows (like Excel), or from SciTe or fxri. Where do I go from
    here. Note I am using the ref book: Beginning Ruby from Novice to
    Professional.

    Hilary Bailey, May 3, 2010

  2. Dear Hilary,

    Can you explain what your goal is?

    Are you trying to make a web application, or are you simply interested =
    to learn more about Ruby?

    Kind regards,
    Samuel

    Samuel Williams, May 3, 2010

  3. Hilary Bailey

    Josh Cheek Guest

    On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 4:04 AM, Hilary Bailey <>wrote:

    > Now I while glimpsing at the beauty of Ruby, there is the software of
    > Rails. I downloaded it from from the c:\ using gem install rails, then
    > typed in rails mydiary and got a whole lot of create ...... listing.
    > NOW, how do I use Rails. Is it a program that I can see and maneuver
    > from Windows (like Excel), or from SciTe or fxri. Where do I go from
    > here. Note I am using the ref book: Beginning Ruby from Novice to
    > Professional.

    Rails is a framework for programming web applications. That means it helps
    you write a Ruby program that works on the internet (in your case, you write
    it in SciTe, though I'm not sure whether SciTe is able to deal with large
    directories very well). So you're writing your files in SciTe, but it also
    provides you a bunch of command line utilities. You can see them in the
    folder mydiary/script, and a bunch of rake tasks you can get from the
    command line with $ rake -T

    If I were to try and explain it in a sentence, I'd say it's a bunch of
    conventions, libraries, and tools for building a web application.

    If this is really what you want to do, I suggest you start with Sinatra and
    move up to Rails when you are ready, Rails is big and full of magic. But if
    you really want to learn Rails, then the best resource I know of is the
    guides http://guides.rubyonrails.org/ They are really exceptionally well
    done. There is a lot of reading in there, but it's packed full of relevant
    information, well organized, and presented in such a way to be easier to
    consume.

    Josh Cheek, May 3, 2010
  4. Hilary Bailey wrote:
    > Now I while glimpsing at the beauty of Ruby, there is the software of
    > Rails. I downloaded it from from the c:\ using gem install rails, then
    > typed in rails mydiary and got a whole lot of create ...... listing.
    > NOW, how do I use Rails.

    Rails is a web application framework. By typing "rails mydiary" you have
    created an empty application called "mydiary". If you cd into that
    directory, you can start it running (ruby script/server) and then point
    browser to http://127.0.0.1:3000/ to see it. But it won't be useful
    until you add your own behaviour to it.

    For an old but still useful introduction see:
    http://oreilly.com/ruby/archive/rails-revisited.html

    Note that Rails is a big piece of software in its own right, which just
    happens to be written in Ruby. So if you have problems with any
    components of Rails (e.g. Rails scripts, classes, helper methods,
    controllers, views), you would be best off asking them on a Rails
    mailing list.

    If you find even Rails doesn't do enough work for you out-of-the-box,
    have a look at http://hobocentral.net/. But you probably want to
    understand Rails first.

    Brian Candler, May 4, 2010
  5. Samuel Williams wrote:
    > Dear Hilary,
    >
    > Can you explain what your goal is?
    >
    > Are you trying to make a web application, or are you simply interested
    > to learn more about Ruby?
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > Samuel

    Dear Samuel,

    For the last 19 years of teaching I have being toying with an efficient
    way of accounting for students accomplishment/results. This idea has now
    grown to the creation (in rough sketches using excel spreadsheets) of a
    monster program that determines a school district success. It includes
    educational, financial and economic analysis which determines how well a
    school district has been doing.

    In my past, friends who have the background in writing software have
    been disappointing, therefore, why not write it myself. I was advised
    by an open source commentator to try Ruby. So, here I am on a mission to
    learn a programming language that will allow me to express my 19 year
    old idea. I was also told that while learning Ruby, Rails will help, as
    it can disperse info etc..

    Any suggestions?

    Thank's in advance,

    HIlary

    Hilary Bailey, May 5, 2010
  6. Dear Hilary,

    If you are new to Ruby I recommend the following page:
    http://programming.dojo.net.nz/languages/ruby/index

    It has links to good beginner tutorials and related information.

    I recommend you look at YAML for storing, processing and outputting =
    data. It integrates with Ruby very easily and reduces the complexity of =
    handing data.

    Secondly, I recommend you avoid Rails to begin with unless you are =
    specifically after a web based interface. Once you've got your ideas =
    working (i.e. data processing) it is easy to add a web interface. So, =
    for now focus on the data processing.

    Thus, I recommend writing a set of shell scripts to process your data =
    and produce results. This is an easy target to begin with and you can =
    improve it from there - i.e. add a GUI or web front end - whatever suits =
    you.

    Once you've got your basic processing algorithm in place, I recommend =
    you investigate either Rake or optparse - these both allow you to make =
    more complex shell scripts with options and configuration - for example:

    With optparse:
    $ ./process_data.rb --districts a,b,c --method=3Daverage =
    --ignore-subjects=3Dscience

    With rake:

    $ rake process_districts[a b c]

    You will likely end up refactoring the code eventually anyway - start =
    simple and go from there!

    Kind regards,
    Samuel

    On 5/05/2010, at 1:46 PM, Hilary Bailey wrote:

    > Samuel Williams wrote:
    >> Dear Hilary,
    >>=20
    >> Can you explain what your goal is?
    >>=20
    >> Are you trying to make a web application, or are you simply =

    interested=20
    >> to learn more about Ruby?
    >>=20
    >> Kind regards,
    >> Samuel

    >=20
    > Dear Samuel,
    >=20
    > For the last 19 years of teaching I have being toying with an =

    efficient=20
    > way of accounting for students accomplishment/results. This idea has =

    now=20
    > grown to the creation (in rough sketches using excel spreadsheets) of =

    a=20
    > monster program that determines a school district success. It includes=20=

    > educational, financial and economic analysis which determines how well =

    a=20
    > school district has been doing.
    >=20
    > In my past, friends who have the background in writing software have=20=

    > been disappointing, therefore, why not write it myself. I was advised=20=

    > by an open source commentator to try Ruby. So, here I am on a mission =

    to=20
    > learn a programming language that will allow me to express my 19 year=20=

    > old idea. I was also told that while learning Ruby, Rails will help, =

    as=20

    Samuel Williams, May 5, 2010
  7. Samuel Williams wrote:
    > Dear Hilary,
    >
    > If you are new to Ruby I recommend the following page:
    > http://programming.dojo.net.nz/languages/ruby/index
    >
    > It has links to good beginner tutorials and related information.
    >
    > I recommend you look at YAML for storing, processing and outputting
    > data. It integrates with Ruby very easily and reduces the complexity of
    > handing data.
    >
    > Secondly, I recommend you avoid Rails to begin with unless you are
    > specifically after a web based interface. Once you've got your ideas
    > working (i.e. data processing) it is easy to add a web interface. So,
    > for now focus on the data processing.
    >
    > Thus, I recommend writing a set of shell scripts to process your data
    > and produce results. This is an easy target to begin with and you can
    > improve it from there - i.e. add a GUI or web front end - whatever suits
    > you.
    >
    > Once you've got your basic processing algorithm in place, I recommend
    > you investigate either Rake or optparse - these both allow you to make
    > more complex shell scripts with options and configuration - for example:
    >
    > With optparse:
    > $ ./process_data.rb --districts a,b,c --method=average
    > --ignore-subjects=science
    >
    > With rake:
    >
    > $ rake process_districts[a b c]
    >
    > You will likely end up refactoring the code eventually anyway - start
    > simple and go from there!
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > Samuel

    Dear Samuel,
    Thanks for such detail guide. I just opened the link and will use it as
    a guide. Someone recommended that at some point I should use Shoes. Do
    you know what kind of program this is? Is it similar to Excel,Rake or
    YAML?

    Once again thank you for such detailed guide.

    Yours truly,

    Hilary

    Hilary Bailey, May 6, 2010
  8. Dear Hilary,

    I wouldn't recommend using Shoes for what you are trying to do. Shoes is =
    a way to display content on the screen using windows, text, buttons, =
    etc. I'd recommend that you get the algorithm and data processing =
    working first, and then make the web application later.

    Kind regards,
    Samuel

    On 6/05/2010, at 12:56 PM, Hilary Bailey wrote:

    > Samuel Williams wrote:
    >> Dear Hilary,
    >>=20
    >> If you are new to Ruby I recommend the following page:
    >> http://programming.dojo.net.nz/languages/ruby/index
    >>=20
    >> It has links to good beginner tutorials and related information.
    >>=20
    >> I recommend you look at YAML for storing, processing and outputting=20=

    >> data. It integrates with Ruby very easily and reduces the complexity =

    of=20
    >> handing data.
    >>=20
    >> Secondly, I recommend you avoid Rails to begin with unless you are=20
    >> specifically after a web based interface. Once you've got your ideas=20=

    >> working (i.e. data processing) it is easy to add a web interface. So,=20=

    >> for now focus on the data processing.
    >>=20
    >> Thus, I recommend writing a set of shell scripts to process your data=20=

    >> and produce results. This is an easy target to begin with and you can=20=

    >> improve it from there - i.e. add a GUI or web front end - whatever =

    suits=20
    >> you.
    >>=20
    >> Once you've got your basic processing algorithm in place, I recommend=20=

    >> you investigate either Rake or optparse - these both allow you to =

    make=20

    Samuel Williams, May 6, 2010
  9. Samuel Williams wrote:
    > Dear Hilary,
    >
    > I wouldn't recommend using Shoes for what you are trying to do. Shoes is
    > a way to display content on the screen using windows, text, buttons,
    > etc. I'd recommend that you get the algorithm and data processing
    > working first, and then make the web application later.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > Samuel

    Dear Samuel and the entire OpenSource community

    In my education of Ruby, I am now at the section that deals with Shoes.
    Do you know of an installation site, and if such, which Shoes version
    should I use. Recall I am trying to write an education desktop software
    that will be used as a data base to generate analysis and predictions.

    Thanking you in advance,
    Hilary

    Hilary Bailey, Aug 7, 2010
  10. Hey Hilary-

    As of right this second, you should be using Shoes 2 ("Raisins"),
    which you can download here: http://shoes.heroku.com/downloads

    Shoes 3 ("Policeman") isn't quite ready yet... but it will be soon! If
    you wait another week or so, we're putting the final touches on for
    release.

    -Steve

    Steve Klabnik, Aug 9, 2010
  11. Steve Klabnik wrote:
    > Hey Hilary-
    >
    > As of right this second, you should be using Shoes 2 ("Raisins"),
    > which you can download here: http://shoes.heroku.com/downloads
    >
    > Shoes 3 ("Policeman") isn't quite ready yet... but it will be soon! If
    > you wait another week or so, we're putting the final touches on for
    > release.
    >
    > -Steve

    Thanks a $llion Steve. So far it looks very inviting to read.

    Hilary

    Hilary Bailey, Aug 10, 2010