School

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Tom, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Hi,
    As a teacher in a relatively medium-sized rural school, without an IT
    teacher I was wondering whether someone could tell me if the following is
    possible and what programming languages I would need to learn in order to
    bring this project to life.

    I was interested in creating a password protected website which has a list
    of students names who could be marked present or absent at the beginning of
    the school day. Once this is done I would like a list of the absent students
    to be placed in another file, accessible on the website under the current
    days date, therefore allowing me or one of the other teachers to check past
    absences (1 week ago, a month ago, a year etc.).

    I was also interested in creating an automated lunch system where the
    students at the beginning of the day can enter an id say firstname_lastname
    and be able to select the foods / drinks they want for recess and/or lunch.
    I would then like the program to tally the cost and inform the student of
    that cost aswell as creating a separate file, which lists all the orders for
    the day and when they are to be ready (either recess or lunch), which will
    be accessible by the canteen ladies.

    I was also interested in creating a section on the website which would list
    where students are at the moment. E.g. It's Friday afternoon Period 4 and I
    am looking for firstname_lastname, I could enter their name into a search
    box and it might display "firstname_lastname is currently in Room 65, Senior
    Science with Mrs Smith".

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Tom

    Tom, Mar 6, 2004

  2. Tom

    Cameron Guest

    Tom wrote:
    > Hi,
    > As a teacher in a relatively medium-sized rural school, without an IT
    > teacher I was wondering whether someone could tell me if the following is
    > possible and what programming languages I would need to learn in order to
    > bring this project to life.
    >
    > I was interested in creating a password protected website which has a list
    > of students names who could be marked present or absent at the beginning of
    > the school day. Once this is done I would like a list of the absent students
    > to be placed in another file, accessible on the website under the current
    > days date, therefore allowing me or one of the other teachers to check past
    > absences (1 week ago, a month ago, a year etc.).
    >
    > I was also interested in creating an automated lunch system where the
    > students at the beginning of the day can enter an id say firstname_lastname
    > and be able to select the foods / drinks they want for recess and/or lunch.
    > I would then like the program to tally the cost and inform the student of
    > that cost aswell as creating a separate file, which lists all the orders for
    > the day and when they are to be ready (either recess or lunch), which will
    > be accessible by the canteen ladies.
    >
    > I was also interested in creating a section on the website which would list
    > where students are at the moment. E.g. It's Friday afternoon Period 4 and I
    > am looking for firstname_lastname, I could enter their name into a search
    > box and it might display "firstname_lastname is currently in Room 65, Senior
    > Science with Mrs Smith".
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tom

    PHP could do these things, and the power of an SQL server would be
    advantageous, and obviously although a person adept at PHP could
    accomplish this in rather short period of time it would take someone new
    quite a bit longer, for the password protected part you could use
    ".htaccess files" however, if you are going to go to all the trouble of
    writing the rest then you may as well use PHP for that as well.

    ~Cameron

    Cameron, Mar 6, 2004

  3. Tom

    PW Guest

    This could easily be done with Active Server Pages (ASP) using a Microsoft
    Access database.
    The password protection could either be programmed, or you could use normal
    windows authentication.

    HTH,
    Paul

    PW, Mar 6, 2004
  4. Tom

    Cameron Guest

    PW wrote:
    > This could easily be done with Active Server Pages (ASP) using a Microsoft
    > Access database.
    > The password protection could either be programmed, or you could use normal
    > windows authentication.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul

    if I remember correctly aren't access databases extremely limited to
    like 7 concurrent users, SQL is much better and there are many free
    servers out there, if the school already has a system with Internet
    information server running and has appropriate licenses then ASP is an
    option, but PHP is the way to go for minimum cost, unfortunately it's
    not quite as easy to set up as ASP (which IMHO is rather Quick and dirty
    ;)).

    ~Cameron

    Cameron, Mar 6, 2004
  5. Tom

    PW Guest

    "Cameron" <> wrote in message
    > if I remember correctly aren't access databases extremely limited to
    > like 7 concurrent users, SQL is much better and there are many free
    > servers out there, if the school already has a system with Internet
    > information server running and has appropriate licenses then ASP is an
    > option, but PHP is the way to go for minimum cost, unfortunately it's
    > not quite as easy to set up as ASP (which IMHO is rather Quick and dirty

    Access databases are officially rated to work with 10 concurrent users.
    What are the chances of 10 people using the application simultaneously ?

    I've installed systems using Access database for a 24 store retail
    franchise. I wouldn't recommend it, but the customer started with 6 stores
    and expanded over 2 years. The application continues to work with no
    problems so they decided to forego SQL Server until a problem occurred. Its
    still going strong. But besides that, if you have SQL Server then thats an
    obvious better choice. Then again, Access is far cheaper.

    For ASP there are no licenses, all you need is Notepad. As long as the
    school has W2k-Pro or XP-Pro, then IIS comes bundled with the operating
    system.

    ASP is as robust and professional as any other environment, such as PHP /
    MySql. ;-)

    PW, Mar 6, 2004
  6. Tom

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "PW" <> wrote in message

    > "Cameron" <> wrote in message
    > > if I remember correctly aren't access databases extremely limited to
    > > like 7 concurrent users, SQL is much better and there are many free
    > > servers out there, if the school already has a system with Internet
    > > information server running and has appropriate licenses then ASP is an
    > > option, but PHP is the way to go for minimum cost, unfortunately it's
    > > not quite as easy to set up as ASP (which IMHO is rather Quick and dirty

    > Access databases are officially rated to work with 10 concurrent users.
    > What are the chances of 10 people using the application simultaneously ?
    >
    > I've installed systems using Access database for a 24 store retail
    > franchise. I wouldn't recommend it, but the customer started with 6

    stores
    > and expanded over 2 years. The application continues to work with no
    > problems so they decided to forego SQL Server until a problem occurred.

    Its
    > still going strong. But besides that, if you have SQL Server then thats

    an
    > obvious better choice. Then again, Access is far cheaper.
    >
    > For ASP there are no licenses, all you need is Notepad. As long as the
    > school has W2k-Pro or XP-Pro, then IIS comes bundled with the operating
    > system.
    >
    > ASP is as robust and professional as any other environment, such as PHP /
    > MySql. ;-)

    Is the latter true? I dont think so. Windows servers need to be licensed for
    the number of users accessing them dont thye? I'm not sure these days.

    SQLServer is also *very* expensive. Even a "small" version costs about $5000
    I think.

    SpaceGirl, Mar 6, 2004
  7. Tom

    PW Guest

    "SpaceGirl" <> wrote in message

    > Is the latter true? I dont think so. Windows servers need to be licensed

    for
    > the number of users accessing them dont thye? I'm not sure these days.
    >
    > SQLServer is also *very* expensive. Even a "small" version costs about

    $5000
    > I think.

    Windows servers can be licensed a few different ways. By processor(s), by
    CAL's, and I think there are other methods although these are the only two I
    have dealt with.

    SQL Server is not really expensive. Approx $1,200 for standard edition.
    But this is also subject to processor(s) and/or CAL's.

    And then there also the SQL Server DESKTOP version which is called ummmmm
    .... MDAC (I think), which comes with MS Office.

    PW, Mar 7, 2004
  8. Tom

    PW Guest

    "PW" <> wrote in message

    > And then there also the SQL Server DESKTOP version which is called ummmmm
    > ... MDAC (I think), which comes with MS Office.

    Sorry, not MDAC, but MSDE.

    PW, Mar 7, 2004