    limitation?

    Thanks.

    -ak
    Ayron, Nov 9, 2005

  2. On 9 Nov 2005, Ayron wrote:

    > Is it possible to have scientific symbols (e.g. degree, squared, cubed,
    > etc.) in XML docs if the UTF-8 encoding is specified?

    Yes.

    > Is there a limitation?

    Symbols of profanity are not allowed in the United States.

    --
    Netscape 3.04 does everything I need, and it's utterly reliable.
    Why should I switch? Peter T. Daniels in <news:sci.lang>
    Andreas Prilop, Nov 9, 2005

  3. Ayron

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Andreas Prilop wrote:

    > On 9 Nov 2005, Ayron wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible to have scientific symbols (e.g. degree, squared,
    >> cubed, etc.) in XML docs if the UTF-8 encoding is specified?

    > Yes.
    >
    >> Is there a limitation?

    > Symbols of profanity are not allowed in the United States.

    When did they get added to Unicode? :)

    ///Peter
    Peter Flynn, Nov 10, 2005
  4. On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Peter Flynn wrote:

    > Andreas Prilop wrote:
    >
    > > Symbols of profanity are not allowed in the United States.

    > When did they get added to Unicode? :)

    SCNR.
    Alan J. Flavell, Nov 10, 2005
  5. "Ayron" <> wrote:

    > Is it possible to have scientific symbols (e.g. degree, squared, cubed,
    > etc.) in XML docs if the UTF-8 encoding is specified?

    Certainly. UTF-8 is capable of representing all characters defined in Unicode
    (and, actually, more - you could use Private Use codepoints for your own
    characters, though you most probably don't need that).

    In addition, you can use character references, irrespectively of the
    encoding. Such as ° or (equivalently) for the degree sign.
    You don't normally need them, if you can use a UTF-8 capable editor or
    another program that can generate UTF-8 encoded XML documents for you.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 11, 2005
  6. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > In addition, you can use character references, irrespectively of the
    > encoding. Such as ° or (equivalently) for the degree sign.

    The hex number must be prefixed by 'x': °
    --
    Johannes Koch
    Spem in alium nunquam habui praeter in te, Deus Israel.
    Johannes Koch, Nov 12, 2005