    can't even get started!

    Thanks,
    -Jack
    gurkesaft, Oct 11, 2005

  2. gurkesaft

    Robert Kern Guest

    gurkesaft wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Does anyone know how to use scipy.plt? The documentation is wrong or
    > out of date at the scipy website, and I can't join their mailing lists
    > for some reason.
    >
    > Most importantly, I need to be able to make and manipulate a legend.
    > The scipy.plt.legend('whatever') command doesn't seem to exist. I
    > can't even get started!

    scipy.plt is incredibly obsolete, unmaintained, and deprecated. Don't
    use it. Please use matplotlib instead:

    http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net

    --
    Robert Kern

    -- Richard Harter
    Robert Kern, Oct 11, 2005

  3. gurkesaft

    gurkesaft Guest

    Thank you, Robert. I noticed how obsolete it is! There is no
    documentation.

    Matplotlib freezes my system if I close a plot and make a new one :(.
    Bah. Windows :)

    Anyway, I figured out how to make gnuplot.py do my bidding.

    -Jack
    gurkesaft, Oct 11, 2005
  4. gurkesaft

    John Hunter Guest

    gurkesaft> Thank you, Robert. I noticed how obsolete it is!
    gurkesaft> There is no documentation.

    gurkesaft> Matplotlib freezes my system if I close a plot and make
    gurkesaft> a new one :(. Bah. Windows :)

    Have you seen the documentation on

    http://matplotlib.sf.net/installing.html

    In particular, you need to make sure that your backend, shell, and
    interactive setting all are harmonious. One suggestion: in your rc
    file, try setting 'backend : TkAgg' and 'interactive : True' in your
    http://matplotlib.sf.net/matplotlibrc file. Also, beware of using
    matplotlib from a GUI IDE which uses a different GUI toolkit than the
    one you've selected in your rc file. I realize this is complex -- but
    I think it is part and parcel of the curse of python. python supports
    6+ GUI toolkits and so matplotlib does too! If the GUI mainloop and
    matplotlib mainloop don't agree, bad things can happen.

    JDH
    John Hunter, Oct 12, 2005