SciTE Alternatives

PythonUsr

Are there any good SciTE alternatives that are mainly for Ruby editing
and compiling? I don't mean FreeRIDE, as I can't stand that program
(so many warnings and errors when you run it, it's unbelievable).

Can you guys give me any alternatives? (a link to a list or a direct
link is fine)

- Alx

Stefan Mahlitz

PythonUsr said:
Are there any good SciTE alternatives that are mainly for Ruby editing
and compiling? I don't mean FreeRIDE, as I can't stand that program
(so many warnings and errors when you run it, it's unbelievable).

This may be the same problem fxri has. fxri does work though, so if you
say errors with freeride it may be something diferent.
Can you guys give me any alternatives? (a link to a list or a direct
link is fine)

I'm using jEdit as editor when I need to look at large classes. Normally
I'm using SciTE.

jedit is available at http://www.jedit.org/

You may want to read these instructions for how to install the ruby
plugin http://rubyjedit.org/download/

And btw, ruby programs are not compiled.

Stefan

PythonUsr

This may be the same problem fxri has. fxri does work though, so if you
say errors with freeride it may be something diferent.

I'm using jEdit as editor when I need to look at large classes. Normally
I'm using SciTE.

jedit is available athttp://www.jedit.org/

You may want to read these instructions for how to install the ruby
pluginhttp://rubyjedit.org/download/

And btw, ruby programs are not compiled.

Stefan

Heh, I know... I usually use SciTE, but it hates me, now. It freezes
when I use gets() for anything...

I'll check jEdit out... Is it free?

Brian Candler

Are there any good SciTE alternatives that are mainly for Ruby editing
and compiling? I don't mean FreeRIDE, as I can't stand that program
(so many warnings and errors when you run it, it's unbelievable).

Can you guys give me any alternatives? (a link to a list or a direct
link is fine)

The free version of Komodo Edit may be of interest:
http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_edit/
It's derived from Mozilla code I believe.

I'm not a GUI fan, and I still use my Unix editor (joe), but this is almost
good enough to make me change. It's fast to load, and easy to navigate.

There is also a version with IDE, which is expensive but has a free trial.
(But with Ruby, I'm happy using an editor to edit, and a shell to run)

Regards,

Brian.

Harry

Are there any good SciTE alternatives that are mainly for Ruby editing
and compiling? I don't mean FreeRIDE, as I can't stand that program
(so many warnings and errors when you run it, it's unbelievable).

Am I missing something?
I have used FreeRide many times with no errors (unless my code has bugs).
Is there a problem with new versions?

Harry

Martin DeMello

Are there any good SciTE alternatives that are mainly for Ruby editing
and compiling? I don't mean FreeRIDE, as I can't stand that program
(so many warnings and errors when you run it, it's unbelievable).

Can you guys give me any alternatives? (a link to a list or a direct
link is fine)

Mondrian [http://www.mondrian-ide.com/] looks pretty good. I don't
know why it's not more popular.

martin

Chad Perrin

Heh, I know... I usually use SciTE, but it hates me, now. It freezes
when I use gets() for anything...

What platform? You may be able to get SciTE working properly again, and
not have to worry about a new editor.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Martin said:
Are there any good SciTE alternatives that are mainly for Ruby editing
and compiling? I don't mean FreeRIDE, as I can't stand that program
(so many warnings and errors when you run it, it's unbelievable).

Can you guys give me any alternatives? (a link to a list or a direct
link is fine)

Mondrian [http://www.mondrian-ide.com/] looks pretty good. I don't
know why it's not more popular.

martin
Is it a live project? I looked at both Mondrian and FreeRide a while
back. They looked similar, but FreeRide looked more active, and it was
in Gentoo's Portage tree.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Brian said:
The free version of Komodo Edit may be of interest:
http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_edit/
It's derived from Mozilla code I believe.

I'm not a GUI fan, and I still use my Unix editor (joe), but this is almost
good enough to make me change. It's fast to load, and easy to navigate.

There is also a version with IDE, which is expensive but has a free trial.
(But with Ruby, I'm happy using an editor to edit, and a shell to run)

Regards,

Brian.
I have the paid-up version of Komodo and I just love it! If you're doing
multi-language development (Perl, Python, PHP, Tcl, Ruby are the main
ones) it's very well integrated. If you're doing either Perl or Tcl
development on Windows, it's probably the best thing out there. There
are some good alternatives on open source platforms, but on Windows,
Komodo is worth what they charge for it.

BTW, I have the Linux version. :)

Axel

I'm using jEdit as editor when I need to look at large classes. Normally
I'm using SciTE.

I'm curious: Why normally SciTE, not jEdit?
(I don't know SciTE, I use jEdit... , Windows.)

- Axel

SonOfLilit

I for one don't like jEdit.

Too heavy.

How about emacs with some use-me-without-freaky-shortcuts mode?

bgulian

The free version of Komodo Edit may be of interest:http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_edit/
It's derived from Mozilla code I believe.

I'm not a GUI fan, and I still use my Unix editor (joe), but this is almost
good enough to make me change. It's fast to load, and easy to navigate.

Activestate just changed their licensing so I can't speak to the free
editor or expensive ide but I bought the $29 dollar ide and editor
from their last licensing model and I wouldn't use anything else.
Works on 3 platforms and has an 'intellisense' syntax analyzer that
has saved me quite a lot of time (especially in javascript but also in
ruby). It does have bugs and hopefully they have been fixed to justify
the new expensive ide. It also has a ruby shell but I found it lame
compared to SciTE's and irb.

Bob

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Activestate just changed their licensing so I can't speak to the free
editor or expensive ide but I bought the $29 dollar ide and editor
from their last licensing model and I wouldn't use anything else.
Works on 3 platforms and has an 'intellisense' syntax analyzer that
has saved me quite a lot of time (especially in javascript but also in
ruby). It does have bugs and hopefully they have been fixed to justify
the new expensive ide. It also has a ruby shell but I found it lame
compared to SciTE's and irb.

Bob
The licensing change was essentially to make the "$29 dollar IDE"
(Personal Edition) free as in beer. I have the "expensive IDE" on Linux
and the free editor on Windows. I'm really spoiled by the IDE -- I think
it's worth the money for the hooks to CVS and Subversion and all the
other goodies.

I'll have to agree with you on "irb" though. The full IDE has a hack to
bring up the standard Ruby executable in an interactive mode, but if
you're used to irb, you have to learn a new interface. I think the
ActiveState folks are looking at connecting to irb, but even if they
aren't, you can add a cmd prompt (Windows) or an xterm/konsole/whatever
window running irb as a tool in the toolbox, which is what I've done.

Stefan Mahlitz

PythonUsr said:
Heh, I know... I usually use SciTE, but it hates me, now. It freezes
when I use gets() for anything...

Can you show example code - I never had problems with SciTE.
I'll check jEdit out... Is it free?

Yes, I think so. But maybe they have a licence statement on their website.

Stefan

Stefan Mahlitz

Axel said:
I'm curious: Why normally SciTE, not jEdit?
(I don't know SciTE, I use jEdit... , Windows.)

Because it is faster than jEdit. And available on Linux as well (finally
I got jEdit installed on Ubuntu, but I do not remember how).

And normally my class files are short - so I do not need the structure
browser.

Stefan

Stefan Mahlitz

SonOfLilit said:
I for one don't like jEdit.

Too heavy.

How about emacs with some use-me-without-freaky-shortcuts mode?

I tried, but couldn't get used to the meta-something commands.

I know how to quit from emacs and vim though - without loosing changes.
But SciTE and jEdit fit my needs better.

Stefan

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Chad said:
Vim is about as heavy as Emacs these days, although if you learned the
old "vi", you can for the most part ignore all the stuff that's been
tacked on. For that matter, both Emacs and its forked cousin XEmacs have
a Notepad-like mouse interface and will run on Linux, Windows, Macs,
Solaris and probably BSD variants as well. For that matter, though, so
does Vim's "gvim" variant. (Notepad, mouse, Linux, Windows, Mac, Solaris
and probably BSD).

Editors, IDEs, etc. seem to be converging to something that almost any
programmer can walk up to and use. There are some definitely distinctive
and breakthrough concepts in editors for programmers, though. Check out
Leo for another way to do it. :)

Martin DeMello

Martin said:
Mondrian [http://www.mondrian-ide.com/] looks pretty good. I don't
know why it's not more popular.

martin
Is it a live project? I looked at both Mondrian and FreeRide a while
back. They looked similar, but FreeRide looked more active, and it was
in Gentoo's Portage tree.

I look at the page every now and then, and there usually seems to be
progress. Seems like a nice, lightweight and polished IDE, though not
something I'd use due to its lack of a vim part :)

martin