    Can you guys give me any alternatives? (a link to a list or a direct
    link is fine)

    - Alx
    PythonUsr, Mar 18, 2007

  2. PythonUsr wrote:
    > Are there any good SciTE alternatives that are mainly for Ruby editing
    > and compiling? I don't mean FreeRIDE, as I can't stand that program
    > (so many warnings and errors when you run it, it's unbelievable).

    This may be the same problem fxri has. fxri does work though, so if you
    say errors with freeride it may be something diferent.

    > Can you guys give me any alternatives? (a link to a list or a direct
    > link is fine)

    I'm using jEdit as editor when I need to look at large classes. Normally
    I'm using SciTE.

    jedit is available at http://www.jedit.org/

    You may want to read these instructions for how to install the ruby
    plugin http://rubyjedit.org/download/

    And btw, ruby programs are not compiled.

    Stefan
    Stefan Mahlitz, Mar 18, 2007

  3. PythonUsr

    PythonUsr Guest

    On Mar 18, 9:34 am, Stefan Mahlitz <> wrote:
    > PythonUsr wrote:
    > > Are there any good SciTE alternatives that are mainly for Ruby editing
    > > and compiling? I don't mean FreeRIDE, as I can't stand that program
    > > (so many warnings and errors when you run it, it's unbelievable).

    > This may be the same problem fxri has. fxri does work though, so if you
    > say errors with freeride it may be something diferent.
    >
    > > Can you guys give me any alternatives? (a link to a list or a direct
    > > link is fine)

    > I'm using jEdit as editor when I need to look at large classes. Normally
    > I'm using SciTE.
    >
    > jedit is available athttp://www.jedit.org/
    >
    > You may want to read these instructions for how to install the ruby
    > pluginhttp://rubyjedit.org/download/
    >
    > And btw, ruby programs are not compiled.
    >
    > Stefan

    Heh, I know... I usually use SciTE, but it hates me, now. It freezes
    when I use gets() for anything...

    I'll check jEdit out... Is it free?
    PythonUsr, Mar 18, 2007
  4. On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 09:30:04PM +0900, PythonUsr wrote:
    > Are there any good SciTE alternatives that are mainly for Ruby editing
    > and compiling? I don't mean FreeRIDE, as I can't stand that program
    > (so many warnings and errors when you run it, it's unbelievable).
    >
    > Can you guys give me any alternatives? (a link to a list or a direct
    > link is fine)

    The free version of Komodo Edit may be of interest:
    http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_edit/
    It's derived from Mozilla code I believe.

    I'm not a GUI fan, and I still use my Unix editor (joe), but this is almost
    good enough to make me change. It's fast to load, and easy to navigate.

    There is also a version with IDE, which is expensive but has a free trial.
    (But with Ruby, I'm happy using an editor to edit, and a shell to run)

    Regards,

    Brian.
    Brian Candler, Mar 18, 2007
  5. PythonUsr

    Harry Guest

    On 3/18/07, PythonUsr <> wrote:
    > Are there any good SciTE alternatives that are mainly for Ruby editing
    > and compiling? I don't mean FreeRIDE, as I can't stand that program
    > (so many warnings and errors when you run it, it's unbelievable).

    Am I missing something?
    I have used FreeRide many times with no errors (unless my code has bugs).
    Is there a problem with new versions?

    Harry

    --

    http://www.kakueki.com/ruby/list.html
    Japanese Ruby List Subjects in English
    Harry, Mar 18, 2007
  6. On 3/18/07, PythonUsr <> wrote:
    > Are there any good SciTE alternatives that are mainly for Ruby editing
    > and compiling? I don't mean FreeRIDE, as I can't stand that program
    > (so many warnings and errors when you run it, it's unbelievable).
    >
    > Can you guys give me any alternatives? (a link to a list or a direct
    > link is fine)

    Mondrian [http://www.mondrian-ide.com/] looks pretty good. I don't
    know why it's not more popular.

    martin
    Martin DeMello, Mar 18, 2007
  7. Nando Sanchez, Mar 18, 2007
  8. PythonUsr

    Chad Perrin Guest

    On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 10:50:05PM +0900, PythonUsr wrote:

    > Heh, I know... I usually use SciTE, but it hates me, now. It freezes
    > when I use gets() for anything...

    What platform? You may be able to get SciTE working properly again, and
    not have to worry about a new editor.

    Leon Festinger: "A man with a conviction is a hard man to change. Tell
    him you disagree and he turns away. Show him facts and figures and he
    questions your sources. Appeal to logic and he fails to see your point."
    Chad Perrin, Mar 18, 2007
  9. Martin DeMello wrote:
    > On 3/18/07, PythonUsr <> wrote:
    >> Are there any good SciTE alternatives that are mainly for Ruby editing
    >> and compiling? I don't mean FreeRIDE, as I can't stand that program
    >> (so many warnings and errors when you run it, it's unbelievable).
    >>
    >> Can you guys give me any alternatives? (a link to a list or a direct
    >> link is fine)

    > Mondrian [http://www.mondrian-ide.com/] looks pretty good. I don't
    > know why it's not more popular.
    >
    > martin

    Is it a live project? I looked at both Mondrian and FreeRide a while
    back. They looked similar, but FreeRide looked more active, and it was
    in Gentoo's Portage tree.

    http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Mar 18, 2007
  10. Brian Candler wrote:
    > On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 09:30:04PM +0900, PythonUsr wrote:
    >
    >> Are there any good SciTE alternatives that are mainly for Ruby editing
    >> and compiling? I don't mean FreeRIDE, as I can't stand that program
    >> (so many warnings and errors when you run it, it's unbelievable).
    >>
    >> Can you guys give me any alternatives? (a link to a list or a direct
    >> link is fine)
    >>

    > The free version of Komodo Edit may be of interest:
    > http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_edit/
    > It's derived from Mozilla code I believe.
    >
    > I'm not a GUI fan, and I still use my Unix editor (joe), but this is almost
    > good enough to make me change. It's fast to load, and easy to navigate.
    >
    > There is also a version with IDE, which is expensive but has a free trial.
    > (But with Ruby, I'm happy using an editor to edit, and a shell to run)
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Brian.

    I have the paid-up version of Komodo and I just love it! If you're doing
    multi-language development (Perl, Python, PHP, Tcl, Ruby are the main
    ones) it's very well integrated. If you're doing either Perl or Tcl
    development on Windows, it's probably the best thing out there. There
    are some good alternatives on open source platforms, but on Windows,
    Komodo is worth what they charge for it.

    BTW, I have the Linux version. :)

    http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Mar 18, 2007
  11. PythonUsr

    Axel Guest

    > I'm using jEdit as editor when I need to look at large classes. Normally
    > I'm using SciTE.

    I'm curious: Why normally SciTE, not jEdit?
    (I don't know SciTE, I use jEdit... , Windows.)

    - Axel
    Axel, Mar 19, 2007
  12. PythonUsr

    SonOfLilit Guest

    I for one don't like jEdit.

    Too heavy.

    How about emacs with some use-me-without-freaky-shortcuts mode?
    SonOfLilit, Mar 19, 2007
  13. PythonUsr

    Chad Perrin Guest

    On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 06:10:04PM +0900, SonOfLilit wrote:
    > I for one don't like jEdit.
    >
    > Too heavy.
    >

    > How about emacs with some use-me-without-freaky-shortcuts mode?

    Vim?

    Chad Perrin, Mar 19, 2007
  14. PythonUsr

    Guest

    On Mar 18, 9:56 am, Brian Candler <> wrote:

    > The free version of Komodo Edit may be of interest:http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_edit/
    > It's derived from Mozilla code I believe.
    >
    > I'm not a GUI fan, and I still use my Unix editor (joe), but this is almost
    > good enough to make me change. It's fast to load, and easy to navigate.

    Activestate just changed their licensing so I can't speak to the free
    editor or expensive ide but I bought the $29 dollar ide and editor
    from their last licensing model and I wouldn't use anything else.
    Works on 3 platforms and has an 'intellisense' syntax analyzer that
    has saved me quite a lot of time (especially in javascript but also in
    ruby). It does have bugs and hopefully they have been fixed to justify
    the new expensive ide. It also has a ruby shell but I found it lame
    compared to SciTE's and irb.

    Bob
    , Mar 19, 2007
  15. wrote:
    > On Mar 18, 9:56 am, Brian Candler <> wrote:
    >

    >> The free version of Komodo Edit may be of interest:http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_edit/
    >> It's derived from Mozilla code I believe.
    >>
    >> I'm not a GUI fan, and I still use my Unix editor (joe), but this is almost
    >> good enough to make me change. It's fast to load, and easy to navigate.
    >>

    > Activestate just changed their licensing so I can't speak to the free
    > editor or expensive ide but I bought the $29 dollar ide and editor
    > from their last licensing model and I wouldn't use anything else.
    > Works on 3 platforms and has an 'intellisense' syntax analyzer that
    > has saved me quite a lot of time (especially in javascript but also in
    > ruby). It does have bugs and hopefully they have been fixed to justify
    > the new expensive ide. It also has a ruby shell but I found it lame
    > compared to SciTE's and irb.
    >
    > Bob

    The licensing change was essentially to make the "$29 dollar IDE"
    (Personal Edition) free as in beer. I have the "expensive IDE" on Linux
    and the free editor on Windows. I'm really spoiled by the IDE -- I think
    it's worth the money for the hooks to CVS and Subversion and all the
    other goodies.

    I'll have to agree with you on "irb" though. The full IDE has a hack to
    bring up the standard Ruby executable in an interactive mode, but if
    you're used to irb, you have to learn a new interface. I think the
    ActiveState folks are looking at connecting to irb, but even if they
    aren't, you can add a cmd prompt (Windows) or an xterm/konsole/whatever
    window running irb as a tool in the toolbox, which is what I've done.

    http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Mar 19, 2007
  16. PythonUsr wrote:
    > On Mar 18, 9:34 am, Stefan Mahlitz <> wrote:
    > Heh, I know... I usually use SciTE, but it hates me, now. It freezes
    > when I use gets() for anything...

    Can you show example code - I never had problems with SciTE.

    > I'll check jEdit out... Is it free?

    Yes, I think so. But maybe they have a licence statement on their website.

    Stefan
    Stefan Mahlitz, Mar 19, 2007
  17. Axel wrote:
    >> I'm using jEdit as editor when I need to look at large classes. Normally
    >> I'm using SciTE.

    > I'm curious: Why normally SciTE, not jEdit?
    > (I don't know SciTE, I use jEdit... , Windows.)

    Because it is faster than jEdit. And available on Linux as well (finally
    I got jEdit installed on Ubuntu, but I do not remember how).

    And normally my class files are short - so I do not need the structure
    browser.

    Stefan
    Stefan Mahlitz, Mar 19, 2007
  18. SonOfLilit wrote:
    > I for one don't like jEdit.
    >
    > Too heavy.
    >

    > How about emacs with some use-me-without-freaky-shortcuts mode?

    I tried, but couldn't get used to the meta-something commands.

    I know how to quit from emacs and vim though - without loosing changes.
    But SciTE and jEdit fit my needs better.

    Stefan
    Stefan Mahlitz, Mar 19, 2007
  19. Chad Perrin wrote:
    > On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 06:10:04PM +0900, SonOfLilit wrote:
    >
    >> I for one don't like jEdit.
    >>
    >> Too heavy.
    >>

    >> How about emacs with some use-me-without-freaky-shortcuts mode?
    >>

    > Vim?

    Vim is about as heavy as Emacs these days, although if you learned the
    old "vi", you can for the most part ignore all the stuff that's been
    tacked on. For that matter, both Emacs and its forked cousin XEmacs have
    a Notepad-like mouse interface and will run on Linux, Windows, Macs,
    Solaris and probably BSD variants as well. For that matter, though, so
    does Vim's "gvim" variant. (Notepad, mouse, Linux, Windows, Mac, Solaris
    and probably BSD).

    Editors, IDEs, etc. seem to be converging to something that almost any
    programmer can walk up to and use. There are some definitely distinctive
    and breakthrough concepts in editors for programmers, though. Check out
    Leo for another way to do it. :)

    http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Mar 19, 2007
  20. On 3/19/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <> wrote:
    > Martin DeMello wrote:
    > >
    > > Mondrian [http://www.mondrian-ide.com/] looks pretty good. I don't
    > > know why it's not more popular.
    > >
    > > martin

    > Is it a live project? I looked at both Mondrian and FreeRide a while
    > back. They looked similar, but FreeRide looked more active, and it was
    > in Gentoo's Portage tree.

    I look at the page every now and then, and there usually seems to be
    progress. Seems like a nice, lightweight and polished IDE, though not
    something I'd use due to its lack of a vim part :)

    martin
    Martin DeMello, Mar 19, 2007