SciTE Alternatives

Chad Perrin

Vim is about as heavy as Emacs these days, although if you learned the
old "vi", you can for the most part ignore all the stuff that's been
tacked on. For that matter, both Emacs and its forked cousin XEmacs have
a Notepad-like mouse interface and will run on Linux, Windows, Macs,
Solaris and probably BSD variants as well. For that matter, though, so
does Vim's "gvim" variant. (Notepad, mouse, Linux, Windows, Mac, Solaris
and probably BSD).

I beg to differ. Installed size for Vim as reported by APT: 1408 bytes.
Installed size for GNU Emacs as reported by APT: 5924 bytes. Last I
checked, including all dependencies, Emacs took up more than 80MB of
drive space, and Vim less than 20MB. It looks to me like Vim is getting
about *one fifth* as heavy as Emacs these days. I also tend to be less
prone to RSI when I'm not using Esc-Meta-Alt-Ctrl-Shift.

If Emacs is what works for you, go for it. Some people like the feature
set of Emacs more than that of Vim. I just disagree that they're in the
same realm of "heavy".

By the way, yes -- XEmacs will run on FreeBSD, as does GVim (or however
the official capitalization goes).

David Kastrup

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky said:
Vim is about as heavy as Emacs these days, although if you learned
the old "vi", you can for the most part ignore all the stuff that's
been tacked on. For that matter, both Emacs and its forked cousin
XEmacs have a Notepad-like mouse interface and will run on Linux,
Windows, Macs, Solaris and probably BSD variants as well. For that
matter, though, so does Vim's "gvim" variant. (Notepad, mouse,
Linux, Windows, Mac, Solaris and probably BSD).

Editors, IDEs, etc. seem to be converging to something that almost
any programmer can walk up to and use.

Disagree. Only very few Emacs users nowadays use Emacs on a tty, and
only very few vim users use the graphical "gvim" variant.

So I don't see convergence.

David Vallner

--------------enig11AE28BA32AB4F28803B747C
If Emacs is what works for you, go for it. Some people like the featur= e
set of Emacs more than that of Vim. I just disagree that they're in th= e
same realm of "heavy".

I disagree this in any way matters on today's CPU speeds and RAM sizes.

(Gods I hate the appeal to bloat way of argumentation.)

David Vallner
Too Lazy to quote ALL relevant bits of the thread.

--------------enig11AE28BA32AB4F28803B747C

--------------enig11AE28BA32AB4F28803B747C--

Chad Perrin

Disagree. Only very few Emacs users nowadays use Emacs on a tty, and
only very few vim users use the graphical "gvim" variant.

So I don't see convergence.

Good point.

I think that many IDEs are converging on a single design philosophy, to
some extent -- with outliers that buck the trends of course (both good
and bad examples). Other code editing tools, however, are not
converging, either with IDEs or each other.

Chad Perrin

I disagree this in any way matters on today's CPU speeds and RAM sizes.

(Gods I hate the appeal to bloat way of argumentation.)

I disagree that today's CPU and RAM stats obviate the need for slimmer
tools sometimes. For instance, I'm composing this email using mutt+Vim
over an SSH connection. While I'm only two rooms away from the system
where I'm accessing email, I have also been known to use the same means
of dealing with email from miles away, over the Internet. Under such
circumstances, at a bandwidth rate of less than 1Mbps, the "weight" of
the application is definitely of interest to me.

Martin DeMello

Disagree. Only very few Emacs users nowadays use Emacs on a tty, and
only very few vim users use the graphical "gvim" variant.

One gvim user standing up and being counted.

m.

David Kastrup

Chad Perrin said:
I disagree that today's CPU and RAM stats obviate the need for slimmer
tools sometimes. For instance, I'm composing this email using mutt+Vim
over an SSH connection. While I'm only two rooms away from the system
where I'm accessing email, I have also been known to use the same means
of dealing with email from miles away, over the Internet. Under such
circumstances, at a bandwidth rate of less than 1Mbps, the "weight" of
the application is definitely of interest to me.

That's what "tramp" is for. It uses a shell connection on a tty (ssh,
sudo, su and a number of other possibilities including multihop) in
order to transparently edit files on a different account.

That way, one can use the local Emacs session for working with remote
files (or files from a different account, such as /su::/etc/fstab)
quite cheaply. No editor at all required on the remote site.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Martin said:
One gvim user standing up and being counted.

m.
gvim is my editor of choice on Windows systems, but I tend to use vim on
Linux and even on Cygwin.

Chad Perrin

That's what "tramp" is for. It uses a shell connection on a tty (ssh,
sudo, su and a number of other possibilities including multihop) in
order to transparently edit files on a different account.

That way, one can use the local Emacs session for working with remote
files (or files from a different account, such as /su::/etc/fstab)
quite cheaply. No editor at all required on the remote site.

Sometimes, the remote site is the only place one has an appropriate
editor. Haven't you ever had to access email from someone else's
computer?

JussiJ

Are there any goodSciTEalternatives that are mainly for Ruby
editing and compiling?

On the Windows platform there is the Zeus IDE:

http://www.zeusedit.com

Zeus has standard IDE features like syntax highlighting,
integrated version control, project/workspace, class
browsing etc, but it will also do smart indenting and
code folding for the Ruby language

And provided you have Ruby WSH installed you can even
write Zeus macros using Ruby ;)

Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus for Windows IDE

SonOfLilit

Perhaps. Although I own a mac, I don't have spare $40 and do find
emacs nice enough to not switch.

If I'll start doing Ruby full time (I seem to be on a path to starting
a startup and still nothing is decided about what we will do, not to
speak of tech decisions, so that is reasonable) I would owe myself to
at least try it out, but now it's really not worth $40 for me.

Aur