SciTE Hangs with gets()

Jeffrey Van alstine

I'm new to ruby, and coming from a C++/C# world it would be wonderful if
I could get the SCiTE editor to work properly (even though I miss
intellisense). I've searched around and I've only seen other people post
that they have an issue with SciTE hanging when using gets() but I
haven't seen a solution.

I'm running Ruby 1.8.6 under Windows Vista 64-bit, btw.

Google has failed me (even though the only thread I found said it was a
well discussed issue). I'm hoping someone here might have a possible
solution, or a link to a site addressing the issue.

Chris Shea

I'm new to ruby, and coming from a C++/C# world it would be wonderful if
I could get the SCiTE editor to work properly (even though I miss
intellisense). I've searched around and I've only seen other people post
that they have an issue with SciTE hanging when using gets() but I
haven't seen a solution.

I'm running Ruby 1.8.6 under Windows Vista 64-bit, btw.

Google has failed me (even though the only thread I found said it was a
well discussed issue). I'm hoping someone here might have a possible
solution, or a link to a site addressing the issue.

Ha. I'm the one who said it was well-discussed. If the problem is
still what it used to be (something between SciTE and stdin), try
adding this to the top of your source:

$stdin.sync = true

I got that from the same thread I said this was well-worn territory:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/101677#223367 (For some reason, I
couldn't find that thread in Google Groups.)

Have you tried that?

HTH,
Chris

Mark Thomas

I'm new to ruby, and coming from a C++/C# world it would be wonderful if
I could get the SCiTE editor to work properly (even though I miss
intellisense).

Since you're obviously used to an IDE, why not try a Ruby IDE like
NetBeans Ruby Edition or RubyMine?

Jeffrey Van alstine

Chris said:
Ha. I'm the one who said it was well-discussed. If the problem is
still what it used to be (something between SciTE and stdin), try
adding this to the top of your source:

$stdin.sync = true

I got that from the same thread I said this was well-worn territory:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/101677#223367 (For some reason, I
couldn't find that thread in Google Groups.)

Have you tried that?

HTH,
Chris

I did try the things posted in that thread, but setting sync had no
effect. The one that did work was

$stdout.flush

but it only worked for the very next gets(). You have to pair to run
that line before every single gets(), which is just a pain in the butt
when you're trying to get a handle on the language.