    Google has failed me (even though the only thread I found said it was a
    well discussed issue). I'm hoping someone here might have a possible
    solution, or a link to a site addressing the issue.
    Jeffrey Van alstine, Aug 2, 2009

  2. Jeffrey Van alstine

    Chris Shea Guest

    On Aug 2, 5:26 pm, Jeffrey Van alstine <> wrote:
    > I'm new to ruby, and coming from a C++/C# world it would be wonderful if
    > I could get the SCiTE editor to work properly (even though I miss
    > intellisense). I've searched around and I've only seen other people post
    > that they have an issue with SciTE hanging when using gets() but I
    > haven't seen a solution.
    >
    > I'm running Ruby 1.8.6 under Windows Vista 64-bit, btw.
    >
    > Google has failed me (even though the only thread I found said it was a
    > well discussed issue). I'm hoping someone here might have a possible
    > solution, or a link to a site addressing the issue.

    Ha. I'm the one who said it was well-discussed. If the problem is
    still what it used to be (something between SciTE and stdin), try
    adding this to the top of your source:

    $stdin.sync = true

    I got that from the same thread I said this was well-worn territory:
    http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/101677#223367 (For some reason, I
    couldn't find that thread in Google Groups.)

    Have you tried that?

    HTH,
    Chris
    Chris Shea, Aug 3, 2009

  3. Jeffrey Van alstine

    Mark Thomas Guest

    On Aug 2, 5:26 pm, Jeffrey Van alstine <> wrote:
    > I'm new to ruby, and coming from a C++/C# world it would be wonderful if
    > I could get the SCiTE editor to work properly (even though I miss
    > intellisense).

    Since you're obviously used to an IDE, why not try a Ruby IDE like
    NetBeans Ruby Edition or RubyMine?
    Mark Thomas, Aug 3, 2009
  4. Chris Shea wrote:
    > On Aug 2, 5:26�pm, Jeffrey Van alstine <> wrote:
    >> solution, or a link to a site addressing the issue.
    >> --

    > Ha. I'm the one who said it was well-discussed. If the problem is
    > still what it used to be (something between SciTE and stdin), try
    > adding this to the top of your source:
    >
    > $stdin.sync = true
    >
    > I got that from the same thread I said this was well-worn territory:
    > http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/101677#223367 (For some reason, I
    > couldn't find that thread in Google Groups.)
    >
    > Have you tried that?
    >
    > HTH,
    > Chris

    I did try the things posted in that thread, but setting sync had no
    effect. The one that did work was

    $stdout.flush

    but it only worked for the very next gets(). You have to pair to run
    that line before every single gets(), which is just a pain in the butt
    when you're trying to get a handle on the language.

    Jeffrey Van alstine, Aug 4, 2009