SciTE: Printing in Black & White

Discussion in 'Python' started by Sandy, May 1, 2006.

  1. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    Dear Pythonic People,

    I recently discovered SciTE (1.68) as a programming editor, and I
    find it just beautiful. Small, fast, elegant and beautiful. I
    particularly like syntax highlighting features -- not simply different
    colours, but styles and fonts too.

    I don't know whether this is the right place to ask this type of
    question, but...

    ...I like to study large files of (hobby) code on paper. I have a
    black and white bubble-jet printer. However, my (Win NT4) screen
    syntax-highlighting setup has a couple of problems when it comes to
    doing print-outs.

    The _chief_ problem is that my on-screen background colour is not
    bright white -- it's an off-white cream, which is so much easier on my
    eyes:

    SciTEGlobal.properties...

    # Global default styles for all languages
    style.*.32=$(font.base),back:#EDE1D5,fore:#000000

    However, each page of printout appears as black (or darkish)
    characters, on top of a filled rectangle of light texture, as the above
    "background".

    Ideally, I'd like to be able to configure SciTE printouts with a
    different highlighting style from the appearance on the screen. Instead
    of colour variations, I'd use combinations of bold, underlined, and
    italics, and different font faces -- all in plain black print -- for
    printouts on my b&w printer.

    How can I go about doing this? If I understand things right, I can
    configure my SciTE installation using Lua. But I hesitate slightly at
    this prospect, if there's a simpler (but more plodding) way.

    (I've already noticed that exporting as say RTF, and then changing
    the RTF styles for printing with a regular-expression script, is one
    possible, messy and very kludgey solution.)

    With kind regards,

    Sandy
    --
    Alexander Anderson <>
    (Yorkshire, England)

    Where there is no vision, the people perish.

    Sandy, May 1, 2006

  2. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    Alexander Anderson:

    > ...I like to study large files of (hobby) code on paper. I have a
    > black and white bubble-jet printer. However, my (Win NT4) screen
    > syntax-highlighting setup has a couple of problems when it comes to
    > doing print-outs.
    >
    > The _chief_ problem is that my on-screen background colour is not
    > bright white -- it's an off-white cream, which is so much easier on my
    > eyes:

    There are several properties that tweak printing listed in the
    documentation. Perhaps you want print.colour.mode=2.

    Neil

    [ copied from the SciTE-interest mailing list,
    http://mailman.lyra.org/mailman/listinfo/scite-interest ]

    Sandy, May 3, 2006