SciTE: Printing in Black & White

Sandy

Dear Pythonic People,

I recently discovered SciTE (1.68) as a programming editor, and I
find it just beautiful. Small, fast, elegant and beautiful. I
particularly like syntax highlighting features -- not simply different
colours, but styles and fonts too.

I don't know whether this is the right place to ask this type of
question, but...

...I like to study large files of (hobby) code on paper. I have a
black and white bubble-jet printer. However, my (Win NT4) screen
syntax-highlighting setup has a couple of problems when it comes to
doing print-outs.

The _chief_ problem is that my on-screen background colour is not
bright white -- it's an off-white cream, which is so much easier on my
eyes:

SciTEGlobal.properties...

# Global default styles for all languages
style.*.32=$(font.base),back:#EDE1D5,fore:#000000

However, each page of printout appears as black (or darkish)
characters, on top of a filled rectangle of light texture, as the above
"background".

Ideally, I'd like to be able to configure SciTE printouts with a
different highlighting style from the appearance on the screen. Instead
of colour variations, I'd use combinations of bold, underlined, and
italics, and different font faces -- all in plain black print -- for
printouts on my b&w printer.

How can I go about doing this? If I understand things right, I can
configure my SciTE installation using Lua. But I hesitate slightly at
this prospect, if there's a simpler (but more plodding) way.

(I've already noticed that exporting as say RTF, and then changing
the RTF styles for printing with a regular-expression script, is one
possible, messy and very kludgey solution.)

With kind regards,

Sandy

Sandy

Alexander Anderson:
...I like to study large files of (hobby) code on paper. I have a
black and white bubble-jet printer. However, my (Win NT4) screen
syntax-highlighting setup has a couple of problems when it comes to
doing print-outs.

The _chief_ problem is that my on-screen background colour is not
bright white -- it's an off-white cream, which is so much easier on my
eyes:

There are several properties that tweak printing listed in the
documentation. Perhaps you want print.colour.mode=2.

Neil

[ copied from the SciTE-interest mailing list,
http://mailman.lyra.org/mailman/listinfo/scite-interest ]