SCJP Exam Prep

TheTravellingSalesman

I'm preparing for the SCJD exam. I need two suggestions.

1) The book I'm using so far is by Phillip Heller and Simon Roberts
and is called "Complete Java 2 Certification Study Guide Fifth
Edition". Is this the best book to prepare form or are there any
better options.

2) Programming is something that you learn well enough after coding
for some time. In order to understand the concepts of the language
better, I wanted to know what kind of practice coding questions can I
do which will help me learn the concepts better.

I will appreciate any suggestions/comments as I plan to write this
exam within next month.

Andrew Thompson

TheTravellingSalesman said:
I'm preparing for the SCJD exam. I need two suggestions. ..
I will appreciate any suggestions/..

1) Add question marks to the end of questions.
2) Be nice to your mother.

Lew

Jokes aside, the Sun tutorials and white papers available from
http://java.sun.com/ are helpful. Read /Effective Java/ by Joshua Bloch.
It's not specifically for the exam, but it'll help.

Manish Pandit

I'm preparing for the SCJD exam. I need two suggestions.

1) The book I'm using so far is by Phillip Heller and Simon Roberts
and is called "Complete Java 2 Certification Study Guide Fifth
Edition". Is this the best book to prepare form or are there any
better options.

2) Programming is something that you learn well enough after coding
for some time. In order to understand the concepts of the language
better, I wanted to know what kind of practice coding questions can I
do which will help me learn the concepts better.

I will appreciate any suggestions/comments as I plan to write this
exam within next month.

You might want to get on to JavaRanch, which has some pretty sharp
people helping out the Sun Certification aspirants. Start here:

http://www.javaranch.com/certfaq.jsp

Also, browse their SCJP/SCJD certification forum. You will find a lot
of insights, interesting questions and lot of help.

-cheers,
Manish

Manivannan Palanichamy

I'm preparing for the SCJD exam. I need two suggestions.

1) The book I'm using so far is by Phillip Heller and Simon Roberts
and is called "Complete Java 2 Certification Study Guide Fifth
Edition". Is this the best book to prepare form or are there any
better options.

2) Programming is something that you learn well enough after coding
for some time. In order to understand the concepts of the language
better, I wanted to know what kind of practice coding questions can I
do which will help me learn the concepts better.

I will appreciate any suggestions/comments as I plan to write this
exam within next month.

For your first question. Please visit SCJD section of http://saloon.javaranch.com

I would like to answer ur second question

After you feel yourself comfortable in basics of programming, you can
spend time on Code Standards, Design Patterns,& Code Refactoring.
You can learn better coding/concepts by reading others code. Read lots
of sample code given by Sun. They are of very good stds.

TheTravellingSalesman

Thank you everybody for your feedback. Java Ranch is an awesome
website as it has pretty much all the resources I was seeking.

As for coding, I think Manivannan is right. Although I can code basic
things in Java but I'm not comfortable enough yet to write my exam or
take up on a big project in Java.

Andrew Thompson

Manivannan Palanichamy wrote:
..Read lots
of sample code given by Sun. They are of very good stds.

(Studs? Steads? Standards? I am guessing you meant
standards, but that word does not quite seem to fit, and if
it was completely spelt - I would not have to guess.)

...hmmm. Well, to that I would add the qualification that
you should only be paying attention to the aspects of the
code that Sun claims to be explaining in that example.

Otherwise, there are many questionable aspects to most
of the Sun example codes, including using methods that
have been deprecated for a long time (e.g. 'widget.show()')
and a general lack of applying advice that Sun itself issues
(such as using SwingUtilities.invokeLater() for Swing GUI's).

Other people might be able to highlight other questionable
practises in the example codes, but those are the two that
are most obvious to me.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/