scp crit 2

Discussion in 'HTML' started by mark | r, Dec 6, 2005.

  1. mark | r

    mark | r Guest

    Hi there, hopefully Ive addressed everyones comments - id like a reappraisal
    and review of the flash preview book (flash 8 click the red Virtual Book
    slub on the left of the home page)

    http://scp.neue.co.uk

    mark
     
    mark | r, Dec 6, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. mark | r wrote:

    > Hi there, hopefully Ive addressed everyones comments - id like a
    > reappraisal and review of the flash preview book (flash 8 click the red
    > Virtual Book slub on the left of the home page)


    The what? Oh, that. The text on that graphic is unreadable.

    <click>

    Eugh. A popup. Yuck.

    "Alternate HTML content should be placed here.This content requires the
    Macromedia Flash Player.Get Flash"

    Well, that alternative content is rather moronic ... and I already *have*
    Flash.

    --
    David Dorward <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/> <http://dorward.me.uk/>
    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
     
    David Dorward, Dec 6, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. mark | r

    Guest

    mark | r wrote:
    > Hi there, hopefully Ive addressed everyones comments - id like a reappraisal
    > and review of the flash preview book (flash 8 click the red Virtual Book
    > slub on the left of the home page)


    Page 6 in the animated book has a typo on the first line - I think
    there's an extra word ("you").

    I just love this sort of stuff. It's totally vague, has no tangible
    connection to real life, but suckers all over the world go for it.
    Brilliant.

    --
    Hywel
     
    , Dec 7, 2005
    #3
  4. mark | r arranged shapes to form:

    >
    > Hi there, hopefully Ive addressed everyones comments - id like a reappraisal


    Seeing what is what is much clearer now. Then again, I might have learned
    it from last time. The 'sales pitch' upfront is better, and I've got a
    handle on what its all about but I still need to be convinced the author is
    an authority.

    The news still isn't really news and is overly repetitive.

    > and review of the flash preview book (flash 8 click the red Virtual Book
    > slub on the left of the home page)


    Is that http://www.iparigrafika.hu/pageflip/ ? IMHO its gimmicky and is a
    poor substitute for getting real books made (ie its /obviously/ cheap). On
    a usability side, it has all the disadvantages of print with none of the
    advantages of it or new media.

    Personally, I don't think the BG is appropriate, it's heavy, dark,
    scratched, gouged, damaged. Similarly I find the leather-bound vellum book
    to has a medaeval gimoire / C19th Romantic feeling (Gothic), its all a bit
    materially rich and Satanic. It doesn't seem to match the mood of the
    otherwise new-agey icon graphics.



    --

    Davémon
    http://www.nightsoil.co.uk/
     
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dav=E9mon?=, Dec 7, 2005
    #4
  5. Onideus Mad Hatter arranged shapes to form:

    > On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 10:06:27 +0000, Davémon <"davémon"@nospam.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>mark | r arranged shapes to form:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> Hi there, hopefully Ive addressed everyones comments - id like a reappraisal

    >>
    >>Seeing what is what is much clearer now. Then again, I might have learned
    >>it from last time. The 'sales pitch' upfront is better, and I've got a
    >>handle on what its all about but I still need to be convinced the author is
    >>an authority.
    >>
    >>The news still isn't really news and is overly repetitive.
    >>
    >>> and review of the flash preview book (flash 8 click the red Virtual Book
    >>> slub on the left of the home page)

    >>
    >>Is that http://www.iparigrafika.hu/pageflip/ ? IMHO its gimmicky and is a
    >>poor substitute for getting real books made (ie its /obviously/ cheap). On
    >>a usability side, it has all the disadvantages of print with none of the
    >>advantages of it or new media.
    >>
    >>Personally, I don't think the BG is appropriate, it's heavy, dark,
    >>scratched, gouged, damaged. Similarly I find the leather-bound vellum book
    >>to has a medaeval gimoire / C19th Romantic feeling (Gothic), its all a bit
    >>materially rich and Satanic. It doesn't seem to match the mood of the
    >>otherwise new-agey icon graphics.

    >
    > ...well aren't you making some pretty big assumptions here?


    I don't think so, where?

    > I mean,
    > that thing just screams Flash 8 prefab wizard...if that's the case, he
    > probably didn't have a whole lot of options as far as the look.
    >


    I don't see why if it's prefab or not matters, the /end result/ is that it
    looks vaguely Satanic/materialistic, isn't very usable, and doesn't help
    increase my feelings of authenticity about the product. A few photos of an
    actual leather bound tome would convince me more (obviously it's a limited
    edition of 100 at $300 each (unfortunately sold out - which is why I have
    to get the ebook...).

    BTW if it is http://www.iparigrafika.hu/pageflip/ then you've got as much
    control over the look as you want, have a look at it, I think you'd like
    it.


    --

    Davémon
    http://www.nightsoil.co.uk/
     
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dav=E9mon?=, Dec 7, 2005
    #5
  6. mark | r

    mark | r Guest

    Onideus Mad Hatter wrote:
    > On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 14:34:09 -0000, "mark | r"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there, hopefully Ive addressed everyones comments - id like a reappraisal
    >> and review of the flash preview book (flash 8 click the red Virtual Book
    >> slub on the left of the home page)
    >>
    >> http://scp.neue.co.uk

    >
    > I haven't tried Flash 8 yet, is all that stuff prefab or did you
    > actually design the page turn transitions yourself?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Onideus Mad Hatter
    > mhm ¹ x ¹
    > http://www.backwater-productions.net
    >

    err nope :) its appropriated from a freebie script

    mark
     
    mark | r, Dec 15, 2005
    #6
  7. mark | r

    mark | r Guest

    Davémon wrote:
    > mark | r arranged shapes to form:
    >
    >>
    >> Hi there, hopefully Ive addressed everyones comments - id like a reappraisal

    >
    > Seeing what is what is much clearer now. Then again, I might have learned
    > it from last time. The 'sales pitch' upfront is better, and I've got a
    > handle on what its all about but I still need to be convinced the author is
    > an authority.


    there arent any authorities, the author is really paniky about gaining a
    following (shes had problems with stalkers) so its to be vague...

    > The news still isn't really news and is overly repetitive.


    yeah i know, its all gonna change once there is actually news :)

    >> and review of the flash preview book (flash 8 click the red Virtual Book
    >> slub on the left of the home page)

    >
    > Is that http://www.iparigrafika.hu/pageflip/ ? IMHO its gimmicky and is a
    > poor substitute for getting real books made (ie its /obviously/ cheap). On
    > a usability side, it has all the disadvantages of print with none of the
    > advantages of it or new media.


    i showed it the client on a whim and he drooled over it

    > Personally, I don't think the BG is appropriate, it's heavy, dark,
    > scratched, gouged, damaged. Similarly I find the leather-bound vellum book
    > to has a medaeval gimoire / C19th Romantic feeling (Gothic), its all a bit
    > materially rich and Satanic. It doesn't seem to match the mood of the
    > otherwise new-agey icon graphics.


    hmm good point, i thought about adding weight and emphasising the old
    mythological style.

    >
    >
     
    mark | r, Dec 15, 2005
    #7
  8. mark | r

    mark | r Guest

    Davémon wrote:
    > Onideus Mad Hatter arranged shapes to form:
    >
    >> On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 10:06:27 +0000, Davémon <"davémon"@nospam.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> mark | r arranged shapes to form:
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Hi there, hopefully Ive addressed everyones comments - id like a reappraisal
    >>> Seeing what is what is much clearer now. Then again, I might have learned
    >>> it from last time. The 'sales pitch' upfront is better, and I've got a
    >>> handle on what its all about but I still need to be convinced the author is
    >>> an authority.
    >>>
    >>> The news still isn't really news and is overly repetitive.
    >>>
    >>>> and review of the flash preview book (flash 8 click the red Virtual Book
    >>>> slub on the left of the home page)
    >>> Is that http://www.iparigrafika.hu/pageflip/ ? IMHO its gimmicky and is a
    >>> poor substitute for getting real books made (ie its /obviously/ cheap). On
    >>> a usability side, it has all the disadvantages of print with none of the
    >>> advantages of it or new media.
    >>>
    >>> Personally, I don't think the BG is appropriate, it's heavy, dark,
    >>> scratched, gouged, damaged. Similarly I find the leather-bound vellum book
    >>> to has a medaeval gimoire / C19th Romantic feeling (Gothic), its all a bit
    >>> materially rich and Satanic. It doesn't seem to match the mood of the
    >>> otherwise new-agey icon graphics.

    >> ...well aren't you making some pretty big assumptions here?

    >
    > I don't think so, where?
    >
    >> I mean,
    >> that thing just screams Flash 8 prefab wizard...if that's the case, he
    >> probably didn't have a whole lot of options as far as the look.
    >>

    >
    > I don't see why if it's prefab or not matters, the /end result/ is that it
    > looks vaguely Satanic/materialistic, isn't very usable, and doesn't help
    > increase my feelings of authenticity about the product. A few photos of an
    > actual leather bound tome would convince me more (obviously it's a limited
    > edition of 100 at $300 each (unfortunately sold out - which is why I have
    > to get the ebook...).
    >
    > BTW if it is http://www.iparigrafika.hu/pageflip/ then you've got as much
    > control over the look as you want, have a look at it, I think you'd like
    > it.
    >
    >

    have you tried editing the script, we've oversized it and its a major
    pain to tweak if you want it to do anything other than the basics...

    still i love the shadow effect

    mark
     
    mark | r, Dec 15, 2005
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. mark | r

    GUI Crit

    mark | r, Sep 18, 2003, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    444
    Steve Pugh
    Sep 18, 2003
  2. mark | r

    early ecom crit

    mark | r, Sep 27, 2004, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    56
    Views:
    1,501
    Matt Bostock
    Oct 6, 2004
  3. mark | r

    copy of CRIT from ADG

    mark | r, May 24, 2005, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    391
    Richard Rundle
    May 25, 2005
  4. krabhi
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    9,315
    Marco Meschieri
    Aug 9, 2006
  5. Une Bévue
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    391
    Une Bévue
    Jul 22, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page